• In the original Axis and Allies, Harris made it clear that the pieces to be used in the box were set as a limit of how many of those “battle groups” you could create.

harrisgamedesign.com/pdf/A&A_Classic_FAQ.pdf

Aside from the obvious limitations on who build the last four IC and last three AA guns, the most obvious application in terms of units was the aircraft carrier. If you play with the vanilla 2nd Edition rules for axis and allies classic (as I do), you could never have more than two carrier pieces on the board (white/red chips are ‘unlimited’)

QUESTION: Was this the intent for GLOBAL as well? Does anybody know? Reference please, thanks.

• I am pretty sure there is nothing that says you can’t use paper. I have combine my entire AnA nations into one set thus having more than necessary.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

No one I know has ever played with such a limit, especially because it really comes down to chipping up vs having the individual pieces crowd the board.  Germany does not have enough tanks to complete most games of G40, and there aren’t even enough tanks included with the 2nd ed set to support Oztea’s G41 setup certainly not enough to support YG/Garg’s Deluxe setup without custom pieces or multiple copies of the game.  We often use French pieces as proxies before the combat phase, after casualties the situation usually doesnt require they stay on the board.

One recommendation is to buy another set of chips, we have blue or pink chips to represent 2s and a few yellow chips for 10.  Since factories produce 3 units and there are plenty of static 3 stacks in the setup, these chips add another level of convenience (so you have 1,2,3,5,10).

I know you want a citation, but except what you are saying about Classic, I have not heard of such a limitation.  1941, WW1, Ikusa all have far too few pieces included in the box to play a normal game, so it would be irrational to assume that the piece sets included act as limits.

• From page 7 of the Europe 1940.2 rulebook:

Plastic Chips
    […]
    If you don’t have enough pieces to top off all your stacks, use any identifying item, such as a piece of paper with the unit type written on it. The number of stacks is not limited by the number of plastic pieces available.

• @taamvan:

No one I know has ever played with such a limit, especially because it really comes down to chipping up vs having the individual pieces crowd the board.   Germany does not have enough tanks to complete most games of G40, and there aren’t even enough tanks included with the 2nd ed set to support Oztea’s G41 setup certainly not enough to support YG/Garg’s Deluxe setup without custom pieces or multiple copies of the game.  We often use French pieces as proxies before the combat phase, after casualties the situation usually doesnt require they stay on the board.

One recommendation is to buy another set of chips, we have blue or pink chips to represent 2s and a few yellow chips for 10.   Since factories produce 3 units and there are plenty of static 3 stacks in the setup, these chips add another level of convenience (so you have 1,2,3,5,10).

I know you want a citation, but except what you are saying about Classic, I have not heard of such a limitation.   1941, WW1, Ikusa all have far too few pieces included in the box to play a normal game, so it would be irrational to assume that the piece sets included act as limits.

Where is the “YG/Garg” set up information? Don’t know that ive ever seen it.

• @cwglee:

Where is the “YG/Garg” set up information? Don’t know that ive ever seen it.

https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?board=84.0

• @CWO:

From page 7 of the Europe 1940.2 rulebook:

Plastic Chips
    […]
    If you don’t have enough pieces to top off all your stacks, use any identifying item, such as a piece of paper with the unit type written on it. The number of stacks is not limited by the number of plastic pieces available.

CWO Marc FTW. thank you!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m