• Oh, ok, my bad.  I guess I was thinking long term instead of the very near short term. :oops:

• @Jennifer:

Bid: 7, Infantry, Artillery to Libya

#1 Bid…Bad idea…… The game is won or lost in Germany keep your bid where it matters most on R1: UKR…Save the G fgt and the 3 ipc’s.

@Jennifer:

German 1 Builds: 2 Submarines, Transport, Aircraft Carrier  or 2 Aircraft Carriers, Transport
    One transport to be built in SZ 14, the rest in SZ 5.

Bad idea……See #1…The exciting G1 purch is navy but the best this can accomplish against an experienced player is a delayed allied entry into SZ5. In the meantime your G land push east and G defensive front on the west suffer.

Don’t get me wrong, as a dice game anything can happen but in the long-run this is a poor design for victory.

• There is a way to do a solid German Navy in a game, but this isn’t it  :-P

• 2007 AAR League

@ncscswitch:

There is a way to do a solid German Navy in a game, but this isn’t it  :-P

oooooh how mysterious! :wink:

• @ncscswitch:

There is a way to do a solid German Navy in a game, but this isn’t it  :-P

If there is one that helps G secure a victory and can’t be easily countered I haven’t seen it.

Maybe you can try it against me in our next league game?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Spill it Switch.  After all, I believe the site was designed for the sharing of ideas, not for personal ego winning games all the time. =)

Anyway, JWW, I disagree about the N. Africa bid.  By closing Egypt off with a large force, you are securing Germany by forcing the British fleet to go the long way you buy extra rounds of serenity on the West allowing you to focus East.

• @Jennifer:

Anyway, JWW, I disagree about the N. Africa bid.  By closing Egypt off with a large force, you are securing Germany by forcing the British fleet to go the long way you buy extra rounds of serenity on the West allowing you to focus East.

G can secure EGY w/out placing it’s bid into LIB. Which I advocate as a mandatory G1 move. However, the G African campaign (overall) is folly which isn’t required for an axis victory.

In fact, what I have discovered, is that opponents typically place too many G IPC’s worth of material into Africa. Directing 31 ipc’s worth of material into Africa by G2 to secure a few British IPC’s which can be easily contested by the allies doesn’t make fiscal sense. You will also be directing these IPC’s away from Europe thus hurting G’s major lines of confrontation which again are on the eastern and western edges of Europe.

As an allies player nothign makes me happier than a G bid placement into LIB and a subsequent G naval purchase.

Without a bid into Libya, you are looking at a toss up if you will even take Egypt or not.

2 Infantry, Artillery, Armor vs Infantry, Armor, Fighter is not very good odds.  Even if you add in your own fighter and bomber, it’s still not stellar and it’s almost impossible to hold unless you get really lucky.

That means an England invasion of the Med on Round 2.  Sure, you could sink the British fleet, but the damage inflicted far out weighs the 7 IPC you lost in Libya instead of Ukraine.

• If you are overly concerned with the odds of an G1 EGY invasion go after TRJ to close the canal & let J finish off the B fleet.

However, I’ll take my chances w/G, 2inf, art & arm, fgt & bmb vs inf, arm & fgt any day to take EGY and close the canal. And a Brit counter w/3inf & fgt is also folly and not worth the risk.

Really, Africa is folly for both the axis and the allies. It is nice to have for either side but simply not required. It is simply not worth the time, effort and resources.

But then again what do I know.  :-D

Let me remind you of that when Germany’s making 50+ a round and England is earning less then 15 a round. =)

I prefer to spend my bid in Lib.  Since I’ll bid either 8 or 9 (I’ve been going with 9 a lot more now), that means 3 inf to Lib.  What I like is it now gives Germany a little flexability with their BB and trn in Sz 14, which is no longer required for Egy.  However, if you do go overkill to Egy on G1, those units are not lost to Europe since your ultimate plan sould be a German move to Ukr and to Per on the same turn with Japan reinforcing Ukr with ftrs and Per with inf and arm.

Africa is but a side bar, but the benefit of an early strong Afr play by Germany is it forces the Allies to make a strong landing (most likely 2) as well, but due to location the German troops, they can easily reach Per about 2-3 turns before the first Allied troops that landed in Alg can catch up.

You can also transport the troops in Afr back to a number of places in Europe on G2-G3 if you wish, while you use an arm to blitz around.  I like to kill Egy with a one rd attack if possible so I go heavy, limiting the number of shots that UK arm and ftr have there.

And As Jen knows I like to sneak the German ships in the Indian Ocean to possibly claim Ind/Mad/Aus and Nz for the Germans.

As Germany I also don’t mind the Russia attack on Ukr on R1 since it means I get to kill 3 Russian arm for the cost of 1-2 inf.

• I am always happy when my opponent buys naval units as Germany when I am Allies.  In my view, Germany is a land power and should stick to what it does best.

SS

• @JWW:

As an allies player nothign makes me happier than a G bid placement into LIB and a subsequent G naval purchase.

than you should play me more often :wink:

• @DarthMaximus:

And As Jen knows I like to sneak the German ships in the Indian Ocean to possibly claim Ind/Mad/Aus and Nz for the Germans.

you seem ambicious :wink:

• @saburo:

I am always happy when my opponent buys naval units as Germany when I am Allies.  In my view, Germany is a land power and should stick to what it does best.

SS

when i am finish one of my five games we can play

i ll bid 6 or 7 IPC so i get the axis

if you want

Germany with Australia and India is a royal pain.  japan can prevent the allies from getting either of those back, meaning Germany’s almost guaranteed 30+ IPC regardless of Africa or Eastern Europe territories.

Yep.

And Mad and NZ have no troops so that is 7 IPC that Germany doesn’t need to defend, which make up for Wrus, Nor, Alg and Lib.

@Amon:

@DarthMaximus:

you seem ambicious :wink:

The way I see it, Germany can’t keep its Med ships alive for that long.  So by rd 3 (if I still have them), I’m looking to get to somewhere safe and India or Mad make a good first target on G3 before the Allies can sink your BB and trn.

Sometimes India isn’t an option, but you can still pick up some nice IPC for Germany while keeping you BB and trn alive and not taking anything else out of Europe.  Plus there is always the hope to reland in Afr a little later, this time with Japan naval and ground support.

• well Darth thanks

you ve expanded my views upon German naval strategy

have to try something like this soon

but not in the tourn. Jen, i promise :)

Gee, you have 3 aircraft carriers with Germany, why not? :P

Course, you did get all the way to Turn 6 without losing the Baltic fleet. =)  Forced England and America into buying a lot of ships they never really needed too!  SZ 5, IMHO is a waste for the allies unless the battle is so bloody one sided you’d be a moron not to attack it.

I prefer SZ 13 and SZ 4 and SZ 12.  That way I can shuttle troops all over North Africa, South Europe, Northern Asia and Scandinavia at will.

• @Jennifer:

I prefer SZ 13 and SZ 4 and SZ 12.   That way I can shuttle troops all over North Africa, South Europe, Northern Asia and Scandinavia at will.

not if i go heavily with Kriegsmarine :wink:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m