I should also add that for a “bid”, we give the US “improved shipyards” and that seems to balance things out.
Custom map for AA50
Hi ! First of all, I am new here, so apologies if I do anything wrong
I wanted to share (a draft - low resolution) of my custom map for the anniversary edition (that I never saw or played). The original is a 155 cm diameter vector file - which is the size of my round table. I am planning to print it soon on neoprene, but wanted to check for eventual feedbacks before
Despite Europe being already slightly oversized, the territories there are still quite small. Not smaller than the original though, so I guess it could do the job. I wanted to do it as historically accurate I could (with a focus on spring 1942, but the 1941 scenario can still be played in principle), so some territories are further splitted with dot lines - for cosmetic purposes only. Oh yeah, and it is labelled in French, apologies for that.
I wanted to keep it as close as possible to the original game, not to hamper the balance. Nevertheless, I made some changes that I hope don’t change much. In a nutshell :
- Changed names of many territories, just for fun (and/or accuracy)
- East Poland became Ukraine and Ukraine became Crimea, so I switched the IPC value between them to keep 2 IPC in Ukraine.
- Eastern Ukraine got an access to Azov sea. Planning to set a Kerch Straight rule with the need to own Caucasus to enter Azov sea (making this access pretty useless).
- Sea zones 15 and 16 are not connected (which should be irrelevant with Dardanelles rule).
- Panama is not connected to East Coast (no way to do that on a real map !) - but I don’t see how it would really impact the game.
- Himalaya and Sahara are not territories anymore, but replaced by a black line forbidding access (which should give exactly the same result) - added also Alps to restrict access between Italy and Germany without cheating with Switzerland’s size.
- Added a couple of additionnal neutrals (again without any in-game effects).
- Added Guianas as extra UK territory (but a 0 IPC territory on that corner of the map should really change anything)
All the rest is purely cosmetic OR room for optional house rules (not yet fully decided - can discuss them separately if anyone is interested) - but can be ignored to play the genuine game. For example Free French territories are by default administered by UK.
One last thing I am wondering about is SZ 26 (very ugly) - is it really used ? Can it really make any changes ? Otherwise I’d like to get rid of it.
Glad to read any kind of feedbacks if it inspires anyone
@azimuth Pretty Map, only the bad thing it is in French!
@goekawar, well, yes. But I suppose you can identify most of the names, can’t you?
@azimuth that’s right, but it is common to use English for it,
@azimuth yea, as long as it’s not chinese or arabic, it’s not a problem. Although if one was chinese or arabic, it wouldn’t be a problem either : )
Good looking map
@goekawar, I got your point. But I’m sure that if you were playing, let’s say, a German game, and decided to customize the map, you’d have translated it in your language
Do you guys have an opinion on sz 26? Is it really needed?
@azimuth I live in the Netherlands, I would never make a the game in Dutch. English I only should use as always.
@goekawar, OK, that’s your choice. Everybody is bilingual in the Netherlands, you don’t translate movies neither, I guess that’s your culture.