Will updating affect my current games?

• '20 '16

I am unable to load a game file from my opponent, mid-game, and after looking at the release notes, I see there were some Triple A updates released a moth, or so, ago. I assume he updated, and I did not, but wanted to double check, first. Will updating mess up my current games, or simply force all my opponents to update, as well?

• @CaptainNapalm

Indeed, several of the stickied threads in this forum category inlcude warnings such as:

Note:
    Problems in games started in the past cannot be resolved by updating the TripleA client, as updating the client does not change the game information stored in savegame files. In other words: As long as nobody starts new games with up-to-date clients and maps, the problems, saved in savegame-files, will be carried over and continue.

Also: To avoid issues it is always recommended that all players use the latest stable version to beginn new games. So when playing together, reassure yourself that everyone is up-to date.

In case any player is not up to date chances are high, that proceeding a game started with the current version with an outdated TripleA-version will corrupt the game or at least aspects of the game.

Also savegames started with 1.9 are incompatible by design with version 2.x.

• '20 '16

@Panther
    Thank you for the quick response! I’m not sure it answers my question, or I don’t understand the answer. We are not starting a new game. Mid-game, he has suddenly posted a game file I can’t open. I am certain we are both using version 2.something, or we would not have gotten this far.

Am I safe to update to the latest version, or will that affect my other current games?

Is there a fix, if one person updates, but not the other, mid-game?

• @CaptainNapalm

My answer indeed illustrated that updating does afffect current games.

As long as both players do not use exactly the same version (current one is 2.5.22294), your games might encounter issues.

I just looked at your game in question and was able to download the savegame file.
    After downloading I opened the file in the current TripleA-release (2.5.22294) without any issue.

Am I safe to update to the latest version, or will that affect my other current games?

It is always recommended to finish games with the version they have been started with. As updates might affect current games (see above answer).

Is there a fix, if one person updates, but not the other, mid-game?

Unfortunately not. That is why it is recommended that the players check everyone is up-to-date before starting their game.

You can safely install and run different versions of TripleA side by side. Just make sure you install them into different installation directories.

• '20 '16

@Panther
    Yikes! Ok, thanks, again. Making sure everyone updates to the latest version, before starting a new game, is, inevitably, mid-game, for their other games, which would then mess up those games. Installing and running different Triple A versions in different directories sounds like a nightmare to this tech challenged fella. It doesn’t sound like I have a choice, though. Dammit!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m