Forum out of space / Uploader Folder is Full

• Customizer

hi Djensen,

hope your holiday is going well,

everyone is getting the “Folder is Full” thing again.  noone is able to attach files to their posts (or include the savegame when they post the turn from TripleA)

it seems we hit the maximum space allowed again, and rather quick too.

can you please delete old posts / old attachments again?

and maybe buy another 5 or 10 gb?

i’m sure if you ran a small fund raiser purely for that, you’d get get enough to afford the extra space for a few years.

many thanks for everything,

• veqryn

• I am getting the upload is full message this morning, 1/10/13

–Jeff28

• '10

@Jeff28:

I am getting the upload is full message this morning, 1/10/13

–Jeff28

Yes, I tried to post this morning with a lot of text and one photo. I am not a typist, so losing a lenghty post is quite frustrating.

• Customizer

And of course, pics aren’t going up - tried just a few min. ago…

• '10

I was able to post some photos yesterday.

• Customizer

it seems the upload folder is full again

A&A.org is getting more popular every day i guess

• TripleA

Just delete all games from 2011 and under. No need to archive. Also delete mid 2012 earlier. All the games that are done, make them poof!

page 10 onwards from league can go.
    general games 10 onwards can go.
    in tournaments 8-11 can go.
    Page 2 of team games can go.

~
    Lots of threads are out of date and irrelevant, such as bears vs colts superbowl predictions etc.

I would delete 35-135 from general discussion.
    ~
    27-107 of global can go.
    ~
    28+ from revised.
    ~
    23+ from axis and allies 2nd edition.

Ok that should clear up a bunch of space. Most of your space is in old games because they contain battlemap and triple a uploads. However the other stuff does add up to your space.
    ~

The file size for global games is about 75 kb each. One round had 8 countries so 8 saves gets posted. Average game is 10 rounds. Yep. Adds up hard. Battlemaps makes a dent as well. Each global game is 6k kilobytes! Ouch.

Yeps got to delete stuff.

1 gigabyte only holds 166 games! Some deleting must be done!

Why buy another 10 gigs when you can delete 100 gigs right now?

If some games are classic, like tournament finals etc, move them to a special spot to keep them.

• Honestly, the main point is the size of the triplea files…

Each time, you need to upload the whole history of the game, thus a lot of data… but as soon as the next player post, the previous file is just useless…

I’m not saying that against tripleA, and I perfectly understand the technical reasons of the save files content… but it looks obvious that this is the reason why this problem appears.

In a perfect world, if there where a way to remove a joined file from a post, that would be great ; and better again, if one could remove all attached file from a thread except the last one, that would be the solution… but I guess that this is definitively too technical to do in a forum…

I disagree that we do not care about old games… I understand that one needs to free some space from time to time, but they are also full of informations, really usefull to consider from time to time…

Yoshi

• @Yoshi:

Honestly, the main point is the size of the triplea files…

Each time, you need to upload the whole history of the game, thus a lot of data… but as soon as the next player post, the previous file is just useless…

I’m not saying that against tripleA, and I perfectly understand the technical reasons of the save files content… but it looks obvious that this is the reason why this problem appears.

In a perfect world, if there where a way to remove a joined file from a post, that would be great ; and better again, if one could remove all attached file from a thread except the last one, that would be the solution… but I guess that this is definitively too technical to do in a forum…

I disagree that we do not care about old games… I understand that one needs to free some space from time to time, but they are also full of informations, really usefull to consider from time to time…

Yoshi

Well, can’t you delete old posts (presumably with the old save files?)?

• Then that means you cannot read them anymore… whereas the size problem just comes from the file… which is useless as soon a new one is posted.

• TripleA

People can individually save their old games onto their computer if they find sentimental value in them.

Do you really go back and view games from last year and beyond? I can find some of the legacy games before like tournament finals through archive search. It would be easier to put legacy games in its own thing not to be touched and delete the rest.

There are only like 30 legacy games give or take. Deleting super old stuff in the name of space is a good idea. Hoarding is like some 1920 idea that old people do, I do not want to be an old guy when I am young. >,<

• @Cow:

People can individually save their old games onto their computer if they find sentimental value in them.

Do you really go back and view games from last year and beyond? I can find some of the legacy games before like tournament finals through archive search. It would be easier to put legacy games in its own thing not to be touched and delete the rest.

Still there are only like 30 legacy games I think.

Why would you need to view old game turns?  YOu can just view the latest triplea file to see the entire history…

• TripleA

I was talking about deleting entire completed games from the site.

• TripleA

Battlemaps is about 8-14kb I noticed. The dent trip a makes is about 5-10x as much.
    ~

I have an idea, when we click post combat move, do not post a file save to the site, just put text of combat moves etc (like you would have to type out if playing battlemaps) which is already does, just omit the filesave.

I noticed that those are saves that are not touched.

Meanwhile a ton of space can be freed up deleting old games.

• I agree with Cow…I see no reason to take up space with old games.
    Maybe archive some of the tournament games but get rid of the others that nobody cares about. If someone is sentimentaly attached to a particular game then they can save it on their computer instead of taking up space here.
    If I had the option of deleting my old games, I’d do it!

• TripleA

If I had the option of deleting my old games, I’d do it!

I would as well. Games I won and lost. I would delete old topics I started as well!

Maybe make new mods to help delete stuff. Like by request n such.

allweneedislove and gamerman01   are good candidates.

I think they can help create space, they seem active and friendly. The person who surrenders can post in the topic to give permission to the victor to delete the game and then the victor can private message a mod to delete it. That way both parties know who won and the game that would never get touched again goes poof!

Core long time members of the community know which games are legacy games.

Maybe promote one to moderator to pick out the legacy games to save. Like Yoshi for example.
    ~
    If saving games is really important than we can simply delete all pages except for the last file and “I surrender” for triple a games. Triple A has history saved so everyone can look at the play by play therefor it is okay to delete all pages prior to the last file and surrender. Even if the game is not done the players still have the last file!

I can build a document with links of all completed triple a games (with the link to the surrender if they surrendered in league results) and a mod can check it.

The mod could clear out a whole gig in an hour. It would take me a day or two to sort through all the games, figure out which ones are triple a games, then figure out where they surrendered.

As far as games that are not finished but have not been touched for years, just pick a point in time and everything in the past I will link.

Then all a mod has to do is confirm there is a triple a upload on the page I linked and that the game is complete and then delete all the pages before the page I linked.

• '12

@Cow:

~
    If saving games is really important than we can simply delete all pages except for the last file and “I surrender” for triple a games. Triple A has history saved so everyone can look at the play by play therefor it is okay to delete all pages prior to the last file and surrender. Even if the game is not done the players still have the last file!

I don’t see it as being needed to delete the actual posts, just remove the attachments from everything except the end.

• TripleA

True!
    ~

Update: Gamerman01 said he would do the cleaning to free up space. Just choose some form of guideline and he can delete some files.

• TripleA

Bump.

This needs to be addressed. Would like admins to do some spring cleaning and clear out some old games to free upload space.

• '12

The file size for global games is about 75 kb each. One round had 8 countries so 8 saves gets posted. Average game is 10 rounds. Yep. Adds up hard. Battlemaps makes a dent as well. Each global game is 6k kilobytes! Ouch.

Yeps got to delete stuff.

1 gigabyte only holds 166 games! Some deleting must be done!

If the save files are about 75kB each wouldn’t you get about 13, 333 save files per gig?  Correction, I see we were talking about saved games being 80 save files.

Lets assume the average save file is 100K each, then you get 10, 000 per gig.  If you had a TB of site storage you would get about 10 million save files.  I’m not sure what is being paid for storage but I would think 10 million saved games per TB year should cover the site.

I find it hard to believe it todays age that storage of non-video files is an issue.  If it really is, then a process on a timer could delete certain files extensions that are of a certain age or older.  It really ought to be trivial to set something automated up.   Something slightly more complex would delete all but the latest save file for tripleA as each file contains all the legacy turns.  Each iteration of battlemap would be kept as they are small and are required for turn by turn following of legacy games.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m