• 2023 '20

I was watching General Handgrenade’s video on the US job in responding to sealion. His set up included loaded carriers in SZ 102 while the US was still neutral. My reading of the rules (surface warships only) would preclude the aircraft from being on the carrier as they are not surface warships. Can some one please clarify if this is legal or not?

Ohh - first post. Long time lurker. Really enjoy this board. Just bought a pc and am familiarizing myself with triplea. Cant wait to start playing others beyond 2 games a year with friends and my on going games with my 7 y/o son (who loves it, and is good for monkey wrenches in my plans, but a little rough on grand strategy as you can imagine).

• '20

This is a great question, and I went back to the rules for my own edification:

“while it’s not at war with Japan, the United States may not move any units into or through China or end the movement of its sea units in sea zones that are adjacent to Japan-controlled territories. While not at war with Germany or Italy, the United States may end the movement of its sea units on the Europe map only in sea zones that are adjacent to U.S. territories, with one exception: U.S. warships (not transports) may also conduct long-range patrols into sea zone 102”.

You can glean the answer from the wording. In Asia, no units can be moved into China. The restriction specifies that it is “all” units. However, for both sea zone 102 and the need to be adjacent to US territories, the restriction clearly only affects “sea units”. As there is no specified rule limiting aircraft in sea zone 102, the carriers can remain loaded as per GHG’s “UK Calling” strategy.

Please also remember that no US units can land on other neutral (or soon to be Allied) territory:

“The United States: The United States begins the game neutral, and as such isn’t initially part of the Allies. Being at war with no one and having a strict isolationist policy, the United States has especially tight restrictions. It may not move land or air units into neutral territories. It may not move units into territories or onto ships belonging to another power or use another power’s naval bases, nor may another power move land or air units into its territories or onto its ships or use its naval bases”.

This doesn’t impede aircraft from being in 102, however.

• @mainah Welcome to the forum.
    This is how the full rule reads (Rulebook Europe 1940.2, pages 37/38):
    "While not at war with Germany or Italy, the United States may end the movement of its sea units on the Europe
    map only in sea zones that are adjacent to U.S. territories, with one exception: U.S. warships (not transports) may also
    conduct long-range patrols into sea zone 102. "

So the rule is a restriction for sea units. Air units are not affected.

• 2023 '20

@Flying-Tigerz, @Panther
    Thank you both for the fast response. Too bad you don’t work at the local DMV.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m