Retrieving the G40 thread: Cost structure (and naval units). The flaw.

• '17 '16

Hi everyone,
    is there any of you which can save from permanent destruction a whole thread (or at least some posts):

Global 40: Cost structure (and naval units). The flaw.

If it is still somewhere in the “trash can” of the forum, is it possible to keep it alive?
    Probably, you must act quickly since it as been erased within 24 hours. (Most, computer system have a cyclic automatic purge.)

The opening poster is Uncrustable (if it could help find the datas).

There was serious, civil and focus exchange in it, I’m very mad about this act of blind censorship.  :x

If you can do something before it is too late,
    I will be very grateful and probably some of the others who posts some laborious and time-consuming posts also: KionAAA, RedHarvest, mines, and some others, (if it can also help retrieving datas).

Thanks for your effort and time answering this post,
    Baron M.

• This unilateral “remove” topic feature needs some safeguards.  It is one thing for a mod to determine a topic is too inflammatory, spam, out of date, redundant, etc. and kill it.  But it is quite another to allow a thread creator to nuke the content of others without the intervention of a moderator.

(There were several others who had invested far more calculation/time into the thread in question than I had.)

• Customizer

Sorry but no way should the ability to delete your own thread be taken away.

If Uncrustable wants to revive his thread he should be the one asking for it.

There may very well come a time when you may want to delete your own thread. It will happen.

If you guys are determined to discuss the flaws of naval cost structures I would suggest revisiting the topic on another new thread.

I’m not taking sides but this posting will go nowhere. It was Uncrustable’s thread. There is no way a moderator is going to repost it, especially if he isn’t asking for it. If I deleted something I wouldn’t want someone else telling the moderator s to put it back up.

• '17 '16

@toblerone77:

There may very well come a time when you may want to delete your own thread. It will happen.

If you guys are determined to discuss the flaws of naval cost structures I would suggest revisiting the topic on another new thread.

I’m not taking sides but this posting will go nowhere. It was Uncrustable’s thread. There is no way a moderator is going to repost it, especially if he isn’t asking for it. If I deleted something I wouldn’t want someone else telling the moderator s to put it back up.

You seemed to imply that a moderator can possibly repost a deleted thread, are you sure they can have the access to “the thrash can” of the system, even if Uncrustable ask them to?

• '17 '16

@toblerone77:

I’m not against this right to delete a thread, but to extend this “power” to erase all the personal post of each members which wrote in the thread. Writing elaborate analysis can be time consuming and I don’t like the idea of always taking the time to make saves elsewhere for all important posts in another computer.

It seems simpler IMO to just make disappear the thread on the open forum, but let’s member be able to consult his own individual post in his “profile zone”.

It seems a better way to preserve both “authorship” rights: threads creator’s and posters’.

Don’t know if the forum system “feature” is able to do so.

• Customizer

Baron and Red Harvest,

I’m sorry you lost your research. In answer to your question Baron, I have no idea if a moderator or admin can restore the thread.

I’m sorry but I whole-heartedly disagree that a forum member should not be able to delete their own thread.

• '17 '16

@toblerone77:

Baron and Red Harvest,

I’m sorry you lost your research. In answer to your question Baron, I have no idea if a moderator or admin can restore the thread.

I’m sorry but I whole-heartedly disagree that a forum member should not be able to delete their own thread.

This doesn’t necessarily mean that you whole-heartedly agree that a thread owner should be able to delete all the post of every member which wrote in his thread.

Do you go that far?
    Are you all the way on behalf of the “Forum system features”?
    Or do you think the forum software could be improve to protect individual post "authorship"and still destroy the thread?

• The thread cant be brought back. But obviously, only the poster of a thread or a moderator can remove a post. The OP can only change his own posts or remove them. Fact.

• Customizer

When someone posts a topic and you respond you are essentially accepting an invitation to discuss a topic. The original poster is essentially a “host” to the discussion. I liked what you guys were saying in many regards. However as the “host” of that particular topic, the original poster has a right to delete or discontinue the topic. You or I as a participant accept the invitation to the discussion as a guest to the topic. Giving up some control to have the opportunity to participate much in the same manner as DJensen is the site Admin, he reserves the right to discontinue the forum or police it’s content.

Example: if you created a topic and for some reason decided to remove it you are perfectly within your rights to do so. If I was upset about it I don’t have the right to make you keep it up. As an original poster of a topic you are that topic’s administrator/moderator to a lesser extent.

While I understand you and others are upset about the topic being removed, it is essentially the “cost” of free discussion and discourse on this great forum.

I would like to see more discussion of naval units myself and if you and those who participated posted a new thread it would be an interesting read to many of us.

• @Imperious:

The OP can only change his own posts or remove them. Fact.

Obviously that is incorrect.  The OP can delete the posts of others.  Why is that not clear by now?

None of us have stated that there is problem with someone deleting their own posts, it is however really douchebaggy to delete the posts of others.

• '17 '16

@toblerone77:

When someone posts a topic and you respond you are essentially accepting an invitation to discuss a topic. The original poster is essentially a “host” to the discussion. I liked what you guys were saying in many regards. However as the “host” of that particular topic, the original poster has a right to delete or discontinue the topic. You or I as a participant accept the invitation to the discussion as a guest to the topic. Giving up some control to have the opportunity to participate much in the same manner as DJensen is the site Admin, he reserves the right to discontinue the forum or police it’s content.

Example: if you created a topic and for some reason decided to remove it you are perfectly within your rights to do so. If I was upset about it I don’t have the right to make you keep it up. As an original poster of a topic you are that topic’s administrator/moderator to a lesser extent.

While I understand you and others are upset about the topic being removed, it is essentially the “cost” of free discussion and discourse on this great forum.

I would like to see more discussion of naval units myself and if you and those who participated posted a new thread it would be an interesting read to many of us.

I’m under the impression that there is a inconsistent rule here.
    If I don’t like what you say, I cannot forbid you to post in this thread, I cannot delete your post either. You have free speech. If I REALLY disapprove what you say I can press the little Icon about report to a Moderator. I’m asking a tierce to be judge.

But why bothering about all this, while I can be the sole ruler?

Just need to open the Quote then copy all the good posts in a Word document. Delete the thread and restart a fresh one without the ANNOYING intruder who speak lengthly against my ideas. No one has the right to contradict me, I’m the boss of my thread.

Then I flush all the babble and nonsense of the ONE I disagree with.

After it is done, this ONE will have all is long and bothering analysis disappear, GOOD for him. NA!!

Then, quietly I open a new Thread, copy all the posts I like (which praise me the most) and all other people will be glad to see they have not totally loose their posts. Except of course the OTHER, then we can pursue the real discussion about approving me, of course.

Here was my little lesson about censorship.

Hope you like it.
    Otherwise, I will delete your reaction post one way or another.
    I’m the boss of my thread: understand everybody.
    Oh, this is really my thread…
    Be afraid, be very afraid… :evil:

So what can a moderator do about this?

• Customizer

PM a moderator or DJensen the admin of this site and see what they tell you then. Make sure you read the Terms of Service too.

• '17 '16

@toblerone77:

PM a moderator or DJensen the admin of this site and see what they tell you then. Make sure you read the Terms of Service too.

I’m waiting some answers of a Mod.
    Thanks for the advice and the name: DJensen.

• Obviously that is incorrect.  The OP can delete the posts of others.  Why is that not clear by now?

Obviously you have not been on this site long enough to understand. You are incorrect. The OP cannot remove other posts made by another poster. That would be ridiculous. Only a mod or the person whom made his own post can remove/edit it.

If it was even possible do you imagine how many more problems that would bring?

• '17 '16

@Imperious:

Obviously that is incorrect.  The OP can delete the posts of others.  Why is that not clear by now?

Obviously you have not been on this site long enough to understand. You are incorrect. The OP cannot remove other posts made by another poster. That would be ridiculous. Only a mod or the person whom made his own post can remove/edit it.

If it was even possible do you imagine how many more problems that would bring?

The OP cannot remove individual post from other member but he can delete them as a whole.
    Isn’t?
    You cannot do surgical intervention on a single post (but a Mod can) but you can obliterate all posts (as a Mod can do).
    Which one is more powerful?

• Each poster whether he is OP or not can ONLY REMOVE OR EDIT HIS OWN POSTS.

NOT OTHERS.

• Sponsor

@Imperious:

Each poster whether he is OP or not can ONLY REMOVE OR EDIT HIS OWN POSTS.

NOT OTHERS.

I think they want an explanation as to why the “remove topic” option is available to any member who creates a thread. For the record… I support the option to do so.

• @Imperious:

Each poster whether he is OP or not can ONLY REMOVE OR EDIT HIS OWN POSTS.

NOT OTHERS.

That is not true.  If you like I can demonstrate it for you.  All I have to do is create a topic, then you to post in it.  If I then remove the topic your post is gone. I will have deleted your post without your permission.  It doesn’t even show up in your recent posts.  This makes it unretrievable even for you to place in another thread.

• Go make a thread in Global 40 or wherever the original post was. I will post and you will spend a lifetime clicking my post to remove it.

Then you will learn.

• Customizer

IL, as sick of this topic as I am. What they’re talking about is that they are upset  because Uncrustable removed the topic from the forum and it took all of thier contributing  posts to that topic with it.

What they are asking for is the topic to be reposted and/or the forum be redesigned so no topic can be deleted by the original poster and or any contributing posts to that topic remain visible on the forum.

They are right in respect that there is nothing left of the topic. The whole thread is gone. It has been my understanding that it has always been this way.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m