• Thought I’d try and consolidate all the various tech ideas people have suggested into one topic. If there was a tech tree (tier, whatever you prefer to use) in this game, what would you like to see included? It does make the game feel a bit naked without any “tech” so to speak, especially considering how much warfare changed from 1914-1919, but it’ll be worth waiting to see how gameplay goes once it comes out. In the meantime …

• Make Tanks a researchable tech

• Fighters as well (with gradual upgrading as was suggested i.e. starting out at 1/1 and peaking around 4/4)
        - - Bombers could be a second “tier” air technology - after successfully upgrading fighters to a certain point, you could start to build bomber units

• Gas attacks
        - - Gas masks as a counter-tech? Essentially could just nullify the effects of gas attacks, causing them to fade out similar to in the actual war

• Advanced Artillery - similar to the WWII version - could support 2 infantry instead of just 1

• Rail Guns: Only fire as a pre-emptive strike? Cannot be chosen as casualties but can be captured (essentially like AA guns from WWII)

• “Destroyer”/Sonar tech: allows you build destroyer units with some kind of basic anti-sub abilities. It still seems ridiculous to not have destroyer units in the game considering the role they played in convoys and sub-hunting for the Allies - especially after improvements in passive sonar, etc. Could pillage pieces from WWII games?

• Instead of Gas attacks (how would it work, and would you even want to use them?  Roll a die- 1-2 kills enemy infantry, 3-4 no effect, 6 kills your own infantry)…

Would rather have Zepplins.

• You need 12 techs, 2 charts.

3 air techs, 3 land techs, 3 economic techs, and 3 naval techs.
    ill work on some soon.

• 6 could suffice- there are a lot fewer options…  no heavy bombers, no mech infantry, no aircraft carriers, etc.

Something as simple as:

Destroyers
    Fighters
    Tanks
    AA Guns
    Improved Artillery
    War Bonds or improved production of some kind

Of course use tech tokens for specific techs…  Why would I, as Germany, care about having Destroyers when I need Tanks?  Not the one and done junk (and random tech when researched).

• @Squadron:

• Fighters as well (with gradual upgrading as was suggested i.e. starting out at 1/1 and peaking around 4/4)

One fighter-technology upgrade that actually did occur in WWI (in 1915) was the introduction of the interruptor gear that allowed machine guns mounted directly in front of the pilot to fire through the propeller.  This allowed more accuracy than machine guns mounted elsewhere (the initial solution to the danger of shooting off your own propeller).

• I wonder too if it would make sense to start out the first available fighters at 2 movement. There were dramatic improvements in aircraft engines during the war, even comparing a Fokker E.I from 1915-ish it had barely half the horsepower of the later Fokker D.VII and max speed was about 70 km/h less.

Basic fighters (when available): 1/1/2 movement

• 2/2/2
        • 3/3/3/
        • 4/4/3

• @Squadron:

I wonder too if it would make sense to start out the first available fighters at 2 movement. There were dramatic improvements in aircraft engines during the war, even comparing a Fokker E.I from 1915-ish it had barely half the horsepower of the later Fokker D.VII and max speed was about 70 km/h less.

Basic fighters (when available): 1/1/2 movement

• 2/2/2
        • 3/3/3/
        • 4/4/3

I wonder though - would late war fighters be 4/4 units?  That seems VERY potent for a WW1 fighter.

• Fair point. I suppose it would also leave little room or purpose for bomber units if fighters could get up to 4/4/3 anyway, aside from some type of strategic bombing role.

Also, oztea, If war bonds are included as one of your three proposed economic techs, would there be some way to tie that to a country’s morale level? Like the lower a country’s morale is, the lower the ceiling they have for receiving extra IPC’s from war bonds. Might just be putting more holes in an already sinking ship (since a country’s morale would most commonly from high casualties/loss of territory on the war front), but it wouldn’t make sense to me if for instance Russia at some point of the game being on the verge of revolution is still able to raise more bond money than Germany (who for sake of example is doing quite well by comparison).

• Lets not get too complicated with morale for now. Just talk strictly tech.

The major change to the tech system itself I would make however is that research dice cost 1 IPC, you roll them, then are allowed to buy any of the techs you rolled for 5 IPCs.
    So if you buy 3 rolls and roll 3,5,6. You can pay 5 IPCs to buy tech #3, #5 or #6

Here is a temporary list of techs, they need refined.

Air/Naval Techs
    1. Armed Transports - Your transports may fire defensively at 1
    2. Advanced Aeronautics - Your aircraft become 2/2/3
    3. Mine Detectors - Roll a die before your ships attack into a minefield: That many of your ships are immune to enemy mines.
    4. Observation Balloons - In battles where no aircraft are present, one of your artillery counts as having air support.
    5. Advanced Submarines - If you opt to submerge, all enemy ships may only fire at ‘1’ when trying to sink you.
    6. Sea Plane Tenders - Your planes may take off and land from transports (as long as they are the only unit it carries)

Land/Economic Techs
    1. Tanks - You may build tanks before turn 4, after turn 4 the first tank you buy each turn costs 1 IPC less. (NEEDS REPLACED PROBABLY)
    2. War Bonds - At the end of your turn roll two dice, collect the higher number as IPCs
    3. Chemical Warfare - Roll a die when attacking a territory, 1-3: remove that many enemy infantry; 4-6: No effect (One Territory Per Turn Only)
    4. Conscription - When you buy 3 Infantry, receive a 4th free.
    5. Radio Communications - During combats where friendly forces are also in the contested zone, roll a die. That many friendly artillery may also participate in the attack
    6. Advanced Locomotives - Roll a die, that many of your infantry may move 3 spaces this turn (amongst friendly territories worth 2 IPCs or more)

• Didn’t chemical warfare sometime affect your own troops?

• Yeah not sure how I feel about tank technology actually reducing the cost, might create too much tank-stacking.

Love the idea for Radio Communications though. Thought that was an important tech but couldn’t think of a good way to implement it for my initial list.

• Customizer

Still don’t know exactly how air supremacy combat works, but remember that aircraft only ever get one shot in a land battle and none at sea. Fighters were much more effective at strafing land units towards the end of the war, so I don’t think a 4-4 fighter in 1918 is that unrealistic.

Actually, I would like there to be NO fighters to start with, rather starting aircraft are largely unarmed multi-purpose planes; 1-1 in combat but with a range of 4.

Fighters are introduced as techs, cheaper initially and with only 2 movement, but increasingly effective in combat.

Regarding bombers, Russia and Italy began the war with these, so they’re not really a tech as such. Its the will to build them that was lacking. However, as the fronts stabilize into a war of attrition bombing enemy capitals to sap morale can become an important tactic.

Regarding techs in general, every one introduced in this war was copied by the enemy and put into production soon afterwards, so the advantage of having a tech should last only as long as it takes the enemy to copy it. The trick is to simulate this while still making the investment worthwhile.

• I was going to say, it would be crap for one country to get ‘tanks’ or ‘aircraft’ and the other side not able to roll a 6…

• @Flashman:

Actually, I would like there to be NO fighters to start with, rather starting aircraft are largely unarmed multi-purpose planes; 1-1 in combat but with a range of 4.

That’s what I was suggesting, that no one starts out with fighters and you have to research even a basic fighter before you can build them. If you used 1/1 unarmed planes though, why 4 range? Would the lack of machine guns and ammo really make that much difference?

• Customizer

Well yes, machine guns were a big weight gain for early war aircraft.

Actually the starting planes would be larger all-round planes, built for reconnaissance roles, and later adapted for light bombing. They could drop a few small bombs (vs ground), and fire hand guns at enemy aircraft, but were hardly fighters. These unit would not upgrade, but would still have their uses.

When the first true fighters appeared they were smaller, lighter, built for speed and hence had a limited range.

I think I’d still like to see planes have the ability to land back in their starting tts; it seems strange that they can only land in an areas just occupied. Makes the game simpler, though. Certainly not viable for bombers/airships, which need to return to base after bombing behind enemy lines.

• There is definitely no tech development in the game rules.

• '16

I’m pretty sure that was confirmed a while ago, but even then… Tech could definitely make a more interesting game.

• Agreed, that’s why I started this post … Official rules or not, Tech research added another level of depth to any of the WWII games I played with it, and I think it makes sense to add tech as a house rule for the same reason:  it adds to the gameplay, as long as the tech’s themselves and the rules for research don’t unbalance the game either with excessive costs/chance and/or too great of an influence on the game. New tech should be a historical “game changer” of sorts - until the other side catches up and replicates the new war tech (which, yes, was pretty common).

• Well if we are serious about tech then we should reach a consensus as a community on a few issues and try and get a STANDARD TECH house rule.

12 techs or 6?
    How should research work? Roll Random? Tech Tokens? Targeted Tech? A different way?
    What should the techs be?

Lets not get TOO complicated. And lets draw from what we already have in 1940. War Bonds, Advanced Artillery

Im putting my foot down on planes going from 1/1, to 2/2, to 3/3 to 4/4 no……no no no
    Larry wouldnt do that.
    Larry would do Jets
    And jets means your planes change ONCE and only ONCE to a new stat line.
    So aircraft changing to 2/2 is balanced and fair. Not too strong, not overpowered compared to powers without the tech.
    Just like how jets don’t become 4/4, then 5/5.

Apparently Gas is a must have tech. Machine guns, Radios, Grenades, were all other big advances of the period.
    What other advances can we think of.

Lets brainstorm.

• Have depth charges where cruisers get some of the abilities of destroyers. Something like, subs can’t submerge when fighting a cruiser. Gives the allies a chance against the rampaging German subs.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m