• OK so let’s tackle this in two phases: first, the model in general and then, second, my stab at applying it a few techs for examples.

1. The Model:

Features I wanted:
    1. Tech is selected
    2. Achievement timing partially random
    3. Different techs have different requirements and different chances of success
    4. Adaptable for new techs

I think getting a tech in play should actually involve two processes: Scientific problem-solving that we can call Research, and laborious engineering work that we can call Development.

So we make a chart in the form of a column progressing towards a specific tech, and assigning each tech a number of Research spaces and Development spaces that make up the length of that column.

Each turn (including T1) the player may place a token at the beginning of a new tech for 5 IPCs, or advance token(s) that he already has on the chart.  To advance a token one space costs 5 IPCs.

To enter a Development space all you require is spending the 5 IPCs but each token can only enter one Development space each turn.

To enter a Research space from a Research space requires 5 IPCs and a Break-thru roll: one of those Eureka! moments.  Chance of success equals rolling higher than the total number of Research spaces in that tech’s column.

If a player fails a Break-thru attempt then he cannot attempt another in the same tech during the same turn. If the player passes the attempt, however, he can continue to advance the token again for 5 IPCs more until he either fails or advances into a Development space.

On the turn that a player reaches the last space in a tech’s column, he may purchase & place that tech during the appropriate phases.

2. Examples:

OK please pretend these examples are actually in pretty, chart form all sitting side-by-side…solid lines separating Rs, dashed lines to cross into Ds… you get the idea.

We advance UP the chart. No roll is required to intially place our token.

Mechanized infantry

DEVELOP

RESEARCH

This tech costs 10 IPC but there’s no chance of failure and you can do this in two turns: place token and next turn advance to that D at the end of column.  Now mind you I’d make the mech inf a separate piece you’d now be eligible to purchase and not an instant upgrade to all infantry on the board.

Improved shipyards

DEVELOP

DEVELOP

RESEARCH

This tech would cost 15 IPCs and take an additional turn compared to Mech Inf but be just as assured as Mech inf since your token doesn’t advance into a Research space.

Long range aircraft

DEVELOP

DEVELOP

RESEARCH

RESEARCH

Not only does this tech cost 20 IPCs and take three turns (at least) but the player needs to roll higher than 2 or he’s stuck in that first R space.

A-bomb

DEVELOP

DEVELOP

DEVELOP

DEVELOP

RESEARCH

RESEARCH

RESEARCH

RESEARCH

RESEARCH

So that’s 45 IPCs and at least five turns if the player can roll 6s four times in a row… otherwise for every roll that’s not a 6, he must wait until next turn to try and advance to the next R.

OK, OK it would be better with a chart… but you get the idea. I welcome your two cents either on the general idea or specific examples.

• I dont follow……sounds VERY interesting
    Like certan powers starting with some portions of charts full, like germany already has a research in rockets.

So you buy researches, then roll developments but the number needed is based on ammount of reaserches? please explain step by step.

• @oztea:

I dont follow……sounds VERY interesting
    Like certan powers starting with some portions of charts full, like germany already has a research in rockets.

So you buy researches, then roll developments but the number needed is based on ammount of reaserches? please explain step by step.

OK my apologies… let me try this step-by-step with one of the above examples.

Long range aircraft

DEVELOP

DEVELOP

RESEARCH

RESEARCH

So on T1 I decide I want to try to invent long range aircraft.
    I pay 5 IPCs and place a National Control Marker (NCM) in the RESEARCH space at the bottom of the column for long range aircraft.
    That’s all I can do initially.

Long range aircraft

DEVELOP

DEVELOP

RESEARCH

RESEARCH - NCM

On my next turn I could start a different technology OR advance the NCM already on the tech board… I really am dying for those long range aircraft so I will advance that rather than starting a new tech.
    It will cost me 5 IPCs to advance AND because I’m entering a RESEARCH space I must roll for a break-through.
    The chance of getting that break-through is 3-6 since there’s 2 RESEARCH spaces in the long range aircraft tech. (If there had been 3 I’d have to roll 4-6.)
    Sadly, in T2, I roll a 1 and cannot advance into that second RESEARCH space. I’m stuck for now.

Long range aircraft

DEVELOP

DEVELOP

RESEARCH

RESEARCH - NCM

On T3, again I choose to try advancing in long range aircraft rather than starting new research. I pay my 5 IPCs, roll to enter a RESEARCH space and roll a 4… BREAK-THROUGH!!  I advance into the second RESEARCH space.

Long range aircraft

DEVELOP

DEVELOP

RESEARCH - NCM

RESEARCH

Now, I’m really dying to get those long range aircraft and I have no more RESEARCH spaces left to get them. So I will pay another 5 IPCs to enter that first DEVELOP space.

Long range aircraft

DEVELOP

DEVELOP - NCM

RESEARCH

RESEARCH

Because it’s a DEVELOP space (and not RESEARCH) it only takes time and money. No dice roll.

I can’t advance into the second DEVELOP space since I can only enter one DEVELOP space in any turn.

T4, I pay my 5 IPCs and advance into the final DEVELOP space, the final space on the long range aircraft column.

Long range aircraft

DEVELOP - NCM

DEVELOP

RESEARCH

RESEARCH

I have long range aircraft in T4. It took me one more turn than I wanted because of that lousy break-through roll to enter into the second RESEARCH space but that’s the way it goes.

Now I can look at the chart of available technologies…. And maybe in T5 I would go for mechanized infantry which just take money and time to Develop and requires no rolls (no Research).

Or try for those jet fighters which take time AND money AND have three Research spaces so there’s even more luck involved in getting them…. decisions, decisions…

Anyway, hope that’s clearer.

• So in the above example, exactly how many IPCs did you spend?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m