1940 Global table & painted pieces

• Customizer

Toblerone77,

––Well, I’ll confess to being “slightly” OCD, but an old carpentry saying, which I’ve found to be true through experience, goes like this: “THINK twice,….CUT once!”
    ––Even if you are NOT using decals to denote national identity,…IF your paint schemes are
    DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT from one another you shouldn’t have any problems confusing the nationality of any units.
    ––Think about it. You not only have COLOR to differentiate between countries,….but paint SCHEMES as well.
    ––Start with a country with a very distictive paint scheme, like “Italian Desert Camo”, and make any other country’s paint schemes that could possibly be near or involved in combat with the “IDC” scheme DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT from it. Then just continue this train of thought until you’ve got all of the countries in the game designed. “Wala”,…you’re finished.
    ----In my life experience I’ve found that in most cases a well thought out plan BEFORE any action takes place is a winning formula. I hope this helps you.

“Tall Paul”

• Customizer

@Tall:

Toblerone77,

––Well, I’ll confess to being “slightly” OCD, but an old carpentry saying, which I’ve found to be true through experience, goes like this: “THINK twice,….CUT once!”
    ––Even if you are NOT using decals to denote national identity,…IF your paint schemes are
    DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT from one another you shouldn’t have any problems confusing the nationality of any units.
    ––Think about it. You not only have COLOR to differentiate between countries,….but paint SCHEMES as well.
    ––Start with a country with a very distictive paint scheme, like “Italian Desert Camo”, and make any other country’s paint schemes that could possibly be near or involved in combat with the “IDC” scheme DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT from it. Then just continue this train of thought until you’ve got all of the countries in the game designed. “Wala”,…you’re finished.
    ----In my life experience I’ve found that in most cases a well thought out plan BEFORE any action takes place is a winning formula. I hope this helps you.

“Tall Paul”

I was kind of doing that. The problem is mostly the ships. However painting the newer destinctive pieces will be much easier. When I started painting the old MB pieces it put the old Fortress America pieces to better use than they had before. I’m actually considering painting my AA50 set. I think it will be much, much, easier.

Even without decals I will be able to spot things on the board easily enough as well as my more experienced co-players by using the newer pieces.

• '14 '13

I am going to use different paint schemes for UK units operating in different theaters.

RAF.jpg

• '17 '16 '15

Nice!

• I’m so utterly awed and jealous of the awesomeness of all these painted pieces that I simply want to spend all my weekends doing the same to my stuff.

I think it’s about time I dusted off some of my old Dragon/Tamaya brand models to get some practice in. It’s decided, I’m gonna paint my Global 1940 set!

• '14 '13

@Redleg13A:

I’m so utterly awed and jealous of the awesomeness of all these painted pieces that I simply want to spend all my weekends doing the same to my stuff.

I think it’s about time I dusted off some of my old Dragon/Tamaya brand models to get some practice in. It’s decided, I’m gonna paint my Global 1940 set!

Redleg13A,

Field Artillery, huh? Nice. Back in my active duty days, I was in Air Defense, on the Bradley Linebacker. Been working with the Guard for the last ten years in Supply.

• '14 '13

New toys came in the mail.

Mech Artillery & Japanese Paratroopers.jpg

• Customizer

Super nice!

• Great work!  I especially like the before/after shots of the mech units – a very dramatic contrast.

• Very nice! I like how you did the inf. bases yellow for easy ID.

• Just read this all for the first time.  The table & victory city lights are amazing!

Did you drill through the game board to install the lights?  How did you mark the exact spot of the VC on the table so you could drill through?  Very curious about your install method.  My dad loves projects. :)

• '14 '13

IKE,

Yes, I drilled through the game boards. Initially, it was a very hard decision but as you can see, it was worth the risk. Basically, I put everything in place on the table (game board and plexiglass) After practicing on a scrap piece of plexiglass, I used my smallest drill bit to drill from the top down into the table all the way through. Then everything came off and we drilled larger holes so we could work easier since the board game would hide those. All the wires have been cleaned up and stapled to the table underneath. 9 volt batteries power every two switches.

-jluna1273

• Very cool, so the LED sticks up through the plexiglass, about 1/4’ or so?  I’ve seen some other people have the game board printed on vinyl and then they glue it down to the plywood.

I’d love to get that map file if anyone sees this and could send it to me.

• Customizer

Redleg13A,

@Redleg13A:

I’m so utterly awed and jealous of the awesomeness of all these painted pieces that I simply want to spend all my weekends doing the same to my stuff.

––I’m looking forward to seeing some pics of your painted pieces.  IMHO, the sharing of pics between each other not only allows everyone to enjoy their work,…**but it INSPIRES each of us and “pumps-up” our desire to accomplish more.**We are very fortunate here on this forum to have many gamers willing to share their experience, talent, and opinions to the benefit of ALL.
    ––A&A.Org, a wonderful source of info, fun, and knowledge!

“Tall Paul”

• '14 '13

Been off for awhile due to the new business venture, but I was able to get these done before our last game earlier this month.

US Aircraft.jpg

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@jluna1273:

Been off for awhile due to the new business venture, but I was able to get these done before our last game earlier this month.

Wow, those are nice! :-D

• I like your p-51’s! and your old school yellow wings for the SBD dive bombers very cool.

• Customizer

jluna1273,

––Nice, Nice, Nice!

Tall Paul

• '14 '13

Thanks guys.

• '14 Customizer

Incredible!  Its amazing how many different ideas players come up with to enhance this game.  I had thought of doing something very similar to my game board but realized I needed to build a mobile set.  Its brilliant how you used the same LED bulb to switch colors using the polarity.  I also have to commend you on your painting as well.  Very nice set and fantastic detail. Thank you for sharing.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m