1941 and the IPC/Purchasing issue

• @Wolfshanze:

Did you read how CWO Marc organizes his units? I bet he uses a label gun (seen below) to annotate each of his unit bins with accurate descriptions.

Actually, I hand-write my box labels with a felt pen on peel-away sticky envelope labels, whose top edge I trim with scissors to make them fit the box edge where I need to apply them.  I don’t own an embossing gun.  (Nor do I have particularly neat handwriting, even though do I try to make an effort to make my handwritten labels look more or less decent.)  The box labels aren’t terribly complex; they say things like “USA-1” “USA-2” for multi-tray nations and “FRANCE” for single-tray nations. The boxes don’t even have flag labels on them (unlike the ones on your trays, which incidentally look quite nice).  Some of the trays aren’t yet labeled (they just have a handwritten note inside) because I’ve been too busy for a while to complete some of the sorting work…which is probably just as well, given that the Anniversary reprint allegedly contains new sculpts which may require a bit of rejiggering of the auxiliary trays.

• '17 '16

@CWO:

The boxes don’t even have flag labels on them (unlike the ones on your trays, which incidentally look quite nice).

TY, there’s a little anal-retentiveness in all of us… having said that…

Somehow, I think if Marc went fishing, it would go a little something like this…
    http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/anal-retentive-fishing/n9787?snl=1

• I don’t fish either.  Never saw the point.  Though I’ve heard that this activity is somewhat popular among various folks here and there.

• '17 '16

@CWO:

I don’t fish either. Never saw the point. Though I’ve heard that this activity is somewhat popular among various folks here and there.

I was just “fishing” for an excuse to post that video… it’s damn funny.

• @Wolfshanze:

I was just “fishing” for an excuse to post that video… it’s damn funny.

The irony is that I use plastic tackle boxes as my sculpt storage trays.

• Wow, you guys make me feel ashamed about the hundreds of A&A classic games that I have played with those "one shape fits all " units.  But, I get it….we have all come a long way since those “good old days”… I too find the punkin Orange Tigers a little unusual…but I will find a good use for them …if I live long enough.

• @Loose:

But, I get it….we have all come a long way since those “good old days”…

We certainly have.  My collection includes several trays of those old cheap plastic Xeno clones of the original Milton Bradley A&A units, in a variety of colours, and to me they are a reminder of the Dark Ages, when the Xeno sculpts were more or less the only thing available to supplement the (at the time) small array of official A&A sculpts, for example in order to add extra countries like France.  By contrast, the number of official A&A sculpts available today is very large indeed.  (France even has two sets of official A&A sculpts nowadays: the ones from 1940 and the ones from 1914, which are virtually the same colour and which are useful for, let’s say distinguishing Free French / Vichy units.)

• '17 '16

@Loose:

Wow, you guys make me feel ashamed about the hundreds of A&A classic games that I have played with those "one shape fits all " units. But, I get it….we have all come a long way since those “good old days”… I too find the punkin Orange Tigers a little unusual…but I will find a good use for them …if I live long enough.Â

For the record, I still have way more games of Classic 1980s A&A under my belt than all games of 1941 and 1942 combined and multiplied a few times. Now that I have the fully upgraded and much-customized “way more cooler” version today than I had in the 80s… I lack the number of friends that want to play a board game in the 21st century compared to what I had back in the 20th century.

• I appreciate everything you said, we are in the same boat. I got the gear…getting more time available, but like you finding folks in my area (Eastern Shore Maryland )  is the hardest part of the challenge.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

So have we come up with a solution to the purchasing problem? Or do I just bin it all and teach my 9 year old 42.2 or 50? I’d love to make this version work as it would be great for a pub battle. I’m tempted to do the +1 to every territory.

• @Variable:

So have we come up with a solution to the purchasing problem? Or do I just bin it all and teach my 9 year old 42.2 or 50? I’d love to make this version work as it would be great for a pub battle. I’m tempted to do the +1 to every territory.

IMHO, 1941 is more a learning tool to introduce people to the game than a staple of the series. Once someone has the basics down, you’d be better-off moving-on to either 1942.2 or the new Anniversary Edition, then you don’t have to worry about “fixing” the money issue in 1941.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

@Nowhere:

@Variable:

IMHO, 1941 is more a learning tool to introduce people to the game than a staple of the series. Once someone has the basics down, you’d be better-off moving-on to either 1942.2 or the new Anniversary Edition, then you don’t have to worry about “fixing” the money issue in 1941.

Well, I agree with your assessment of the games and will do so with my son. But we don’t always have time for the larger games so I was looking for a way to get more purchasing power into a small quick game. I like the simplicity of this one over, say, Revised. It takes a lot of the “level 2” rules out which is great for him. But I want him to explore more complex buys.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m