1941 and the IPC/Purchasing issue

• I don’t fish either.  Never saw the point.  Though I’ve heard that this activity is somewhat popular among various folks here and there.

• '17 '16

@CWO:

I don’t fish either. Never saw the point. Though I’ve heard that this activity is somewhat popular among various folks here and there.

I was just “fishing” for an excuse to post that video… it’s damn funny.

• @Wolfshanze:

I was just “fishing” for an excuse to post that video… it’s damn funny.

The irony is that I use plastic tackle boxes as my sculpt storage trays.

• Wow, you guys make me feel ashamed about the hundreds of A&A classic games that I have played with those "one shape fits all " units.  But, I get it….we have all come a long way since those “good old days”… I too find the punkin Orange Tigers a little unusual…but I will find a good use for them …if I live long enough.

• @Loose:

But, I get it….we have all come a long way since those “good old days”…

We certainly have.  My collection includes several trays of those old cheap plastic Xeno clones of the original Milton Bradley A&A units, in a variety of colours, and to me they are a reminder of the Dark Ages, when the Xeno sculpts were more or less the only thing available to supplement the (at the time) small array of official A&A sculpts, for example in order to add extra countries like France.  By contrast, the number of official A&A sculpts available today is very large indeed.  (France even has two sets of official A&A sculpts nowadays: the ones from 1940 and the ones from 1914, which are virtually the same colour and which are useful for, let’s say distinguishing Free French / Vichy units.)

• '17 '16

@Loose:

Wow, you guys make me feel ashamed about the hundreds of A&A classic games that I have played with those "one shape fits all " units. But, I get it….we have all come a long way since those “good old days”… I too find the punkin Orange Tigers a little unusual…but I will find a good use for them …if I live long enough.Â

For the record, I still have way more games of Classic 1980s A&A under my belt than all games of 1941 and 1942 combined and multiplied a few times. Now that I have the fully upgraded and much-customized “way more cooler” version today than I had in the 80s… I lack the number of friends that want to play a board game in the 21st century compared to what I had back in the 20th century.

• I appreciate everything you said, we are in the same boat. I got the gear…getting more time available, but like you finding folks in my area (Eastern Shore Maryland )  is the hardest part of the challenge.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

So have we come up with a solution to the purchasing problem? Or do I just bin it all and teach my 9 year old 42.2 or 50? I’d love to make this version work as it would be great for a pub battle. I’m tempted to do the +1 to every territory.

• @Variable:

So have we come up with a solution to the purchasing problem? Or do I just bin it all and teach my 9 year old 42.2 or 50? I’d love to make this version work as it would be great for a pub battle. I’m tempted to do the +1 to every territory.

IMHO, 1941 is more a learning tool to introduce people to the game than a staple of the series. Once someone has the basics down, you’d be better-off moving-on to either 1942.2 or the new Anniversary Edition, then you don’t have to worry about “fixing” the money issue in 1941.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

@Nowhere:

@Variable:

IMHO, 1941 is more a learning tool to introduce people to the game than a staple of the series. Once someone has the basics down, you’d be better-off moving-on to either 1942.2 or the new Anniversary Edition, then you don’t have to worry about “fixing” the money issue in 1941.

Well, I agree with your assessment of the games and will do so with my son. But we don’t always have time for the larger games so I was looking for a way to get more purchasing power into a small quick game. I like the simplicity of this one over, say, Revised. It takes a lot of the “level 2” rules out which is great for him. But I want him to explore more complex buys.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m