1940 Global: 1st turn, 3 players = Having fun

• I blame Canada.

• I say Canada is great and faultless here  :wink:

• Ok now that we got “thru” the language thing how is your game going Thierry? Give us an update and some details of rounds 2……3…

• @WILD:

Ok now that we got “thru” the language thing how is your game going Thierry? Give us an update and some details of rounds 2……3…

Only Round 1 was done so far.  Working on round 2 for this weekend.  I made sure on round 1 that each of us had only 1 attack per country (if needed).  On round 2 I will introduce airplane scramble and round 3 probably “convoy”.

I know I probably upset some veterans out there for not having all the rules set from the get go, but I’m trying to explain the rules as I go so I probably will forget some (trying not to).  Also I need to read again about convoy.

I use some of the customizations that are recommended by the people on the forum and YG videos:

1. Got some paper money from HBG
    2. Got nice printouts from this site that show each country objectives/military setup and some political facts that the boys were able to read before we played
    3. Got some black chips to help us identify damages in boats and IC
    4. finally an income tracker and couple of other printouts that help us in order of turns and sequences.

Fun game but a lot of rules to remember/understand.

I will keep you posted to see where we are in after round 2 and 3 over the weekend.

Cheers
    Thierry

• '17 '16 Customizer

@teslas:

@Thierry:

@teslas:

Stuff I said.

Teslas,

I will plead the fact that English is my second language (and French being my native), I do appreciate correction from my peers, it is true that “thru” and “through” has been a struggle for me.

Looking forward to learn more.
    Thierry

I must be ashamed for my countrymen (Americans), as it is their fault that the abomination “thru” has been spread.

Hopefully I can teach you something about A&A at some point, and not just English pedantry  :p

Actually, THRU is an abbreviation of the word through. It’s used on engineering drawings. Example: a hole dimension might read Ø.125 THRU which means drill a 1/8" hole all the way through. There’s your drafting standards lesson for the day.  :wink:

To the OP of this thread, welcome to the wonderful world of Axis & Allies! I, like you, taught my children how to play and we have had lots of fun together over the years. I converted my basement family room into a game room we call “The Bunker”. I built a Global table, dice towers, magnetic score board and other fun items. My youngest son & I still get a game in. I have some fellow players I met THRU (pun intended) this great forum that game w/ me from time to time. It’ll take some time for you to completely grasp all the rules. But it sure is fun learning!

Warm regards!

• @Thierry:

Fun game but a lot of rules to remember/understand.

Just so you know Thierry - there are simpler and shorter versions of the game also played by us on this forum:

• 1941 can be played in an evening.
    • 1942 2nd Edition in a day.

You have gone straight to the most complex version.

Many of us own multiple versions and play them all!

Cheers
    PP

• The A&A.org members are a great group of WW2 passionate folks. I love the camaraderie.

I even enjoy the grammar police.  :-)

• @ABWorsham:

The A&A.org members are a great group of WW2 passionate folks. I love the camaraderie.

I even enjoy the grammar police.  :-)

lol
    Actually very true. I find most A&A players to be old(ww2 passionate), cordial(comraderie), and sophisticated(grammar police; I am lol again) people.

• Just done Round 2 (before dinner, planning on round 3 after), and found out the IC tracker on top of the boards goes all the way to 80 (not 40 for Europe and 40 for Pacific).

We just finish round 2:

1. I attack Normandy with Germany and South of France with Italy
    2. my oldest son (China, US and USSR), is placing his units to prepare for a major attack from me on the Europe front and Pacific Front.
    3. My youngest took back Alexandria from Italy (I won that territory on round 1) and start moving his ANZAC troops to the Dutch territory in the Pacific

I know these strategies are probably not what veterans do (I saw some on YG videos) but we are having fun attacking each others with no specific goal so far (I do not think we can see the long term objectives at the moment).

Also  I just found out that you can use the IC markers on the top of the board, I thought the went from 1 to 40 and 1 to 40 but you can see that they go to 1 to 80 (see picture attached).

Next round (3) after dinner.

Thierry

IMG_3442 (1).jpg

• If you need any rule clarifications feel free to ask us!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m