• Nothing wrong with that. My daughter drew a tiger on a pizza plate (Christmas present). Actually, she has drawn me a Tiger the last three years. I
    will try and put up a pic.

• '17 '16

@ABWorsham:

@Private:

Glad the second game was better!

My middle son asked me a dozen WW2 and A&A questions yesterday. On my desk he found the printed rules for Global and became excited about the game. He wants to play, I reminded him that he needed to graduate 1941. But that he was well on his way to becoming a exciting young player.

We are going to try to get my dad to play 1941, we can have a three generation game. My dad loves his panzers.

1942.2 with all Global units can be played (we do it all the time) as an intermediary step, after 1941 drills.
    It can give your son the enjoyment of bigger game in a shorter session.
    Global is very time consumming.

• Great news AB

I agree with others about taking the step up in games cautiously.

Seen Witt’s daughters tank art. Far better than I could do!

• @wittmann:

Nothing wrong with that. My daughter drew a tiger on a pizza plate (Christmas present). Actually, she has drawn me a Tiger the last three years. I
    will try and put up a pic.

What an awesome gift for a father!!!

• And she is only 6.
    Unfortunately, the special ink has slightly rubbed off with the knife cutting. My wife is furious, as she bought special pens that should not come off with use.

• Greetings! Good to know that you are spreading this wonderful game to your family! I myself am only 15. On my twelfth birthday I received 1941. I knew nothing about it but my love for ww2 toy soldiers and strategy games made me totally appreciate it.  I played my first game with my sister doing tons of wrong rules lol. This experience has made me an excellent teacher of the game. I have taught 3 siblings, my dad and at least 10 friends. Panic is totally right. Same thing I do. At first explain the basic concept than dive right in. 1941 is the best place for it. You should stress that the main points of this game are unit price attack defense and move values and the chess mentality–anticipating moves and seeing deep into the game. The rest comes as you play. Hope you have a good time! It is great to know there are other non-adult A&A players being introduced!

de Gaulle

• @Charles:

Greetings! Good to know that you are spreading this wonderful game to your family! I myself am only 15. On my twelfth birthday I received 1941. I knew nothing about it but my love for ww2 toy soldiers and strategy games made me totally appreciate it.  I played my first game with my sister doing tons of wrong rules lol. This experience has made me an excellent teacher of the game. I have taught 3 siblings, my dad and at least 10 friends. Panic is totally right. Same thing I do. At first explain the basic concept than dive right in. 1941 is the best place for it. You should stress that the main points of this game are unit price attack defense and move values and the chess mentality–anticipating moves and seeing deep into the game. The rest comes as you play. Hope you have a good time! It is great to know there are other non-adult A&A players being introduced!

de Gaulle

Great to hear from you. Best wishes.

Your post reminded me of spending my Christmas money on A&A Second edition back in 1996 as a sixteen year old.

• I haven’t even close to as much as experience as you in time length; however, I do play a little bit 5 days a week…

• My sons are loving the game.

Had a very interesting game tonight. U.K and U.S (my sons) took apart Japan (me). But Russia (our neighbors) fell to Germany (me).

Had a huge naval engagement in Hawaii.

• Another interesting scenario that happens sometimes is when Russia takes Germany out and Japan takes US out.

• How do you think it compares to 42.2 or 40 then?

I find its simplicity and low income quite a refreshing difference.

• It is a totally different game. Luck can mean everything. Its main pros are simplicity and short game play.
    I would take 1940 over any other however. I am glad that my first game was 1941. A good starter to keep on hand for short gaming sessions. I never played 1942.

• Not sure about 40 yet C de G. Perhaps overly complex and certainly a number of rules that were changed for the better with 42.2 - such as factories allowed on islands with capacity as per ipc value.

Currently on only my 7th or so game of 40G, so still much to learn.

Think the best, however, was a game of Anniversary board and set up to 42.2 rules. Just done that once, but a great game.

• France is in 1940  :wink:

• Ha! :-)

Actually, then, you might like a triple A variant called (I think) World at War. France is in plus powers survive the loss of their capital, meaning France continues to play a meaningful role after Paris falls. Can’t remember whether it is one of the standard maps or an experimental one.

Happy to help you find it if you are struggling.

• It’s great to see second generation A&A fans as well as youngsters (that’s you CDG) playing the games.

It’s interesting to see the different perspectives on the various editions of the game.  Having played since 1984 (as have most of my opponents), we find the 41 and 42.2 scale to be more to our taste. 40 just has way too many units on the board and it feels like it should be reduced to the LCD to eliminate the clutter.  That’s why I agree with you PP, 41 is a breath of fresh air for its simplicity.

• What really sells 1940 to me are the units. Tanks and infantry are boring. I also like the other countries. What would be great is 1940 units and countries but without the complicated political situations NOs and huge number of units. I made a mod of 1941 that incorporates 1940 units and countries;maybe you can take a look at it. Btw to us a youngster is my nine-year-old brother.  He almost has every rule of 1940 down. Me and my friends call him Little Guy wih Big Ambitions. The oldest player in my group is my 52 year old dad. Most of us are under 18.

• Trying to stay OT here, using 41 piece counts and IPC values with 40.2 units and maps could make a very interesting 40 light.  41 is a great game that I hope more will come to appreciate for its simplicity.

• I will always love it. How Classic is for many older players, 1941 is for me.

• @Charles:

I will always love it. How Classic is for many older players, 1941 is for me.

My sons are excited that my father will be down visiting. We will have him play. He will insist on Germany and will hold in prize the Battleship Bismarck, it’s his favorite subject.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m