• Founder TripleA Admin

A few notes, before I forget:

• The Allies, especially Russia seem underpowered.
    • The game really does play fast, you have interesting choices to make but still no that many.
    • The smaller map layout allows for some crazy maneuvers.
    • There is still definitely strategy, you really need to make your units work for you.
    • Germany is really powerful.
    • We played 2 games in about 4 hours. We ended the 2nd game early because the writing was on the wall and somebody had to leave.

I can’t wait to play again. I think it’s going to require a lot of game play before we break it.

• TripleA '12

Thanks for that update, Djensen. Very interesting points. I’m glad you’re stoked about this game. I am too and can’t wait to play it.  :-)

• Customizer

Great news. Looking forward to reading your field report.

• pics or it didn’t happen ^^

• Thanks for the great videos and reviews- I’ll be expecting nothing less from the 1942 edition :wink:

I will reluctantly buy this version though I’m afraid it will bore me after a while.  However, this has the potential to get the most play being that it is fast and it will be a great teaser for the 42 and Global editions.

Not crazy about the new molds- all countries are the same, so I will not be buying it for the new molds which I thought I would- just for the play.  Very interested in the gameplay- it does look fast- no chips.

Djensen, did you feel that there was no need for chips of extra pieces???  Usually when I buy an AAgame I usually have to buy 2 b/c WOTC seems to cheap out on some pieces.

Finally AH/WOTC grew some brains and made these leveled depth versions:

Beginner-      AA41
    Intermediate- AA42
    Advanced-      AAG40

Each increasing level will definitely tease players to play the next leveled game.

• Founder TripleA Admin

Maybe it doesn’t come through in the photos but the boats are some of the best quality of any of the games. The corners on the battleships are much sharper. If I recall correctly, some of the older sculpts have a more soft, round corner look, almost as if it was made with clay.

• Any reason you can’t play 1941 rules with the 1942 game?

• @questioneer:

Not crazy about the new molds- all countries are the same, so I will not be buying it for the new molds which I thought I would- just for the play.

Still, we get 16 new molds, and some of them are very much needed (more ships, another tank for Russia besides T-34, a late war German FW-190, Kongo, etc). They are pretty high quality in general, you can just junk the non-country accurate pieces (US/UK IS-2s, etc)

• Customizer

Which A&A game would you say the “feel” and “experience” is closest to?

I’m going to guess “Classic”, just because of the small scale and the infantry stacks, but I want to hear it from the person who’s actually played it.

• seems that japan can easily reach (and take?) india and caucasus by round 2.
    if germans then take down egypt…

man, so many options in such a smell game. i like it!
    only change would be introducing artillery from other versions (cost 4, but no support).

• I think it looks like the kind of game we can all play around with and if I do not see it for sale in England soon I  am bally going to burst like a balloon!

• TripleA '12

Hey Wittman, I am still huntin’ high an’ low for it mate. Will let ye know as soon as I find it. Whereabouts are ya, anyway? I’m down in Pompey mate.

• @wittman:

I think it looks like the kind of game we can all play around with and if I do not see it for sale in England soon I  am bally going to burst like a balloon!

same thing! ship it to europe! :)

• TripleA

with the lowered income i assume usa is not as powerful as in past editions.

they can afford 1 loaded transport per turn, that does not really have the same feel as previous versions where the axis felt like they had to rush before the usa income monster gets into the game.

• I am sure the values of units has been decreased greatly. I can’t imaginge infantry still costs 3. Everything should be quite a bit cheaper. If not Russia has absolutely no chance.

• Hereford. 20 years now.

• Did we find out if Axis won the 2nd game too? Might be we get Alpha revisions before it comes out! Am not happy about that lone US transport. Should be a Destroyer with it.

• Hi Gosanchez6: is 3 for Inf. Details on Preview Set Up. We all thought it would be cheaper units too, but meant to be a quick game. Thing is might be too quick. Looks like they expect Russia to fall quickly, thus facilitating Axis victory.

• Customizer

One thing is for sure, with all the territories being worth so little, even grabbing a 1 IPC territory will be a big thing.

Remember those times in Global 40 where you might end up fighting some HUGE battle, with lots of pieces on both sides and it’s all for some 1 IPC territory like Bryansk or Shan State or Yunnan? Sure, some of those territories also have important strategic value, but it still would suck after all that dice rolling and losing valuable pieces that your income only goes up 1 IPC. Well, it won’t be that way in this game. Heck, there are a lot of rather large territories that aren’t even worth a plug nickel.

• @knp7765:

Heck, there are a lot of rather large territories that aren’t even worth a plug nickel.

Or as we’d say in this edition of A&A, not worth a cardboard stacking marker.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m