• Went to a game store looking get set up to have a 1940 board. They were out. I was sold the 1941 in hopes for the game to introduce my sons into WW2 history and A & A?

Any thoughts? About to play this game in a few minutes.

• Hi AB

I started with 41 and actually quite like the simplicity of this version. Some of those who started with the more complex versions find those simplifications difficult to embrace - for example the ease with which the Japs can surge through China.

But I quite like the much higher cost of purchasing units to income ratio. It changes the dynamic somewhat, making the game a little less attritional and a bit more about holding the territories you take and not losing the units used to do so. In a way that makes the game more strategic.

You asked about “thoughts? - about to play this game in a few minutes” - which I take to mean how to teach the game quickly?

I have taught perhaps 15 people to play and like to spend 10-15 mins explaining the basics and then start a game. The complexities and exceptions (e.g. sub rules) are then explained as we play. I have learned a few tricks to making this approach work:

• With some “students” it can be quite important that they agree to this approach in advance or they’ll then complain every time another exception hits them.
    • Those that don’t like to lose also need to be reminded that it’s just a teaching game and a proper game can be played subsequently.
    • In trying to help new players to make decent moves it is easy to find yourself telling them what to do. Instead, it is much better to discuss options, but leave them to make their own decision.
    • It can then be irritating when they insist on doing the wrong thing, as happens quite often! The inability of the human race to listen! Don’t get irritated!

I do hope that your sons love the game. I can imagine the pleasure you would gain from playing with them.

Happy New Year! :-)

• First post here! I too recently purchased 1941 (as well as 1940 Europe and Pacific 2nd ed and 1942 2nd ed!) I just got back into the joy of A&A as I had not played since my early teens.

I used 1941 to teach my 11 year old son……now he wants to play every week. It’s a great teaching game for new players young and old. Just take your time through your first game and give him choices, but like the poster above stated, let him make the choice.

• First game went terribly. First off there was a lot a calling to play simpler Risk. We played at a site where my sons couldn’t focus on the game fully. And their friends thought a battleship rode atop a aircraft carrier which I wasn’t as calm as I should have been in correcting since that friend’s father spent three years based at Pearl Harbor just two years ago.

Our second game, at home, was wonderful. We had a great time. We laughed, learned, and had a fun game. Allies won, USSR took Germany and the UK took Japan.

• Glad the second game was better!

• @Private:

Glad the second game was better!

My middle son asked me a dozen WW2 and A&A questions yesterday. On my desk he found the printed rules for Global and became excited about the game. He wants to play, I reminded him that he needed to graduate 1941. But that he was well on his way to becoming a exciting young player.

We are going to try to get my dad to play 1941, we can have a three generation game. My dad loves his panzers.

• Nothing wrong with that. My daughter drew a tiger on a pizza plate (Christmas present). Actually, she has drawn me a Tiger the last three years. I
    will try and put up a pic.

• '17 '16

@ABWorsham:

@Private:

Glad the second game was better!

My middle son asked me a dozen WW2 and A&A questions yesterday. On my desk he found the printed rules for Global and became excited about the game. He wants to play, I reminded him that he needed to graduate 1941. But that he was well on his way to becoming a exciting young player.

We are going to try to get my dad to play 1941, we can have a three generation game. My dad loves his panzers.

1942.2 with all Global units can be played (we do it all the time) as an intermediary step, after 1941 drills.
    It can give your son the enjoyment of bigger game in a shorter session.
    Global is very time consumming.

• Great news AB

I agree with others about taking the step up in games cautiously.

Seen Witt’s daughters tank art. Far better than I could do!

• @wittmann:

Nothing wrong with that. My daughter drew a tiger on a pizza plate (Christmas present). Actually, she has drawn me a Tiger the last three years. I
    will try and put up a pic.

What an awesome gift for a father!!!

• And she is only 6.
    Unfortunately, the special ink has slightly rubbed off with the knife cutting. My wife is furious, as she bought special pens that should not come off with use.

• Greetings! Good to know that you are spreading this wonderful game to your family! I myself am only 15. On my twelfth birthday I received 1941. I knew nothing about it but my love for ww2 toy soldiers and strategy games made me totally appreciate it.  I played my first game with my sister doing tons of wrong rules lol. This experience has made me an excellent teacher of the game. I have taught 3 siblings, my dad and at least 10 friends. Panic is totally right. Same thing I do. At first explain the basic concept than dive right in. 1941 is the best place for it. You should stress that the main points of this game are unit price attack defense and move values and the chess mentality–anticipating moves and seeing deep into the game. The rest comes as you play. Hope you have a good time! It is great to know there are other non-adult A&A players being introduced!

de Gaulle

• @Charles:

Greetings! Good to know that you are spreading this wonderful game to your family! I myself am only 15. On my twelfth birthday I received 1941. I knew nothing about it but my love for ww2 toy soldiers and strategy games made me totally appreciate it.  I played my first game with my sister doing tons of wrong rules lol. This experience has made me an excellent teacher of the game. I have taught 3 siblings, my dad and at least 10 friends. Panic is totally right. Same thing I do. At first explain the basic concept than dive right in. 1941 is the best place for it. You should stress that the main points of this game are unit price attack defense and move values and the chess mentality–anticipating moves and seeing deep into the game. The rest comes as you play. Hope you have a good time! It is great to know there are other non-adult A&A players being introduced!

de Gaulle

Great to hear from you. Best wishes.

Your post reminded me of spending my Christmas money on A&A Second edition back in 1996 as a sixteen year old.

• I haven’t even close to as much as experience as you in time length; however, I do play a little bit 5 days a week…

• My sons are loving the game.

Had a very interesting game tonight. U.K and U.S (my sons) took apart Japan (me). But Russia (our neighbors) fell to Germany (me).

Had a huge naval engagement in Hawaii.

• Another interesting scenario that happens sometimes is when Russia takes Germany out and Japan takes US out.

• How do you think it compares to 42.2 or 40 then?

I find its simplicity and low income quite a refreshing difference.

• It is a totally different game. Luck can mean everything. Its main pros are simplicity and short game play.
    I would take 1940 over any other however. I am glad that my first game was 1941. A good starter to keep on hand for short gaming sessions. I never played 1942.

• Not sure about 40 yet C de G. Perhaps overly complex and certainly a number of rules that were changed for the better with 42.2 - such as factories allowed on islands with capacity as per ipc value.

Currently on only my 7th or so game of 40G, so still much to learn.

Think the best, however, was a game of Anniversary board and set up to 42.2 rules. Just done that once, but a great game.

• France is in 1940  :wink:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m