• I feel dumb for asking and I’m sure I’ll get barraged with negative feedback but I’m confused on this. The situation was Russian sub attacking a loaded German Aircraft Carrier alone off of Norway. During the attack the sub hit once and the carrier also hit once. The planes are technically “in the air during combat”, but its a surprise attack and the carrier is only damaged. Do the fighters become trapped aboard the carrier, or do they have the option of moving one space to survive?
    Thanks everyone.

• Since the planes are defending, they can move 1 space and land, no matter what their nationality is. Planes only become trapped on a carrier if they are of a different nationality than the carrier and the carrier gets damaged during an offensive battle.

• Thanks. We played it correctly then.

• Sponsor

@UKMaverick:

Thanks. We played it correctly then.

…and if you ever get “barraged with negative feedback”… be sure to let me know.

• Customizer

You shouldn’t get barraged with negative feedback, or even have to worry about it. The guys who made Axis & Allies did their best to explain the rules but there are a lot of them, especially for Global 40, and they were under pressure to put it together and make it ready for sale. Also, while we play, we end up with scenarios that they might have thought simply wouldn’t happen or just didn’t think of and the explanations in the rule book simply can’t cover every possible situation.
    For instance, take your example. They might have thought that any carrier would surely have other warships, particularly destroyers, for protection. OR, since the carrier is a capital ship, they might have figured no one would risk attacking with a single submarine since you need to get 2 hits @ 2 to sink it so the sub’s surprise strike is basically nullified at least for the first hit. However, different people have different playing styles that work for them even if it is unconventional.
    I’m just saying that if you have a question involving the rules, don’t be afraid to ask here. A lot of these guys have played a lot of games and really have seen a lot of “weird” stuff. What’s more, they are happy to answer any questions you may have because we all want as many people as possible to not only play these games, but enjoy them as well.
    Good luck to you on the rest of your game.

• I would like to know why a lone sub can always sink my lone carrier (100% in my games). However, my 3 inf + bomber get annihilated when attacking two infantry.  There seems a rule that the more logical the move, the less likely it is to succeed.

• 90 % of the time I would attack a lone BB or a loaded/empty Carrier.

6 ipc’s vs 16 to 20?
    Yeah I’m in!

• @aequitas:

90 % of the time I would attack a lone BB or a loaded/empty Carrier.

6 ipc’s vs 16 to 20?
    Yeah I’m in!

90%?! No! As Long as there is no better target, definitately 100%! :-)

• @ShadowHAwk:

@aequitas:

6 ipc’s vs 16 to 20?
    Yeah I’m in!

It depends a lot where the BB or carrier is as well. Near a friendly naval base no point you damage the BB and then what. If it is not then you also force it to retreat.

Chances of a sub vs a BB are not that great, VS the carrier it is pretty ok ish.

Exactly, this is where I got my 90% from. It should be a good opportunity and not a suicide run.
    The possibility to cause damage and not to drop water on a hot plate!

@aequitas:

And sometimes the dices got their own way.

Never tell me the Odds! :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m