• Has anyone thought of bringing the Anzac planes into the European theater to use as a can opener for the US/British… I’m think specifically of an example were Italy builds a destroyer the anazac planes can take it out, allowing the US to move through the area the destroyer was blocking.

• Also, what about bringing the Anzacs over to Brazil? Has anyone ever done that?

• '14 Customizer

@Base02ball:

Also, what about bringing the Anzacs over to Brazil? Has anyone ever done that?

I have done this before but I think its much better for US or UK to have Brazil so they can use the inf with their planes on attacks.  It does help boost ANZAC’s economy a little.

• Yeah, I usually take Brazil with USA, sometimes UK. I’ve done it with the Anzac before, but generally it’s much more valuable to have the Anzac transports continually contesting the money islands.

Anzac planes can be useful as a can opener in the med, but is not strictly necessary, as the allies already have the french fighter right there which serves the same purpose.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Another fun one is to use the British transport next to Egypt to get an ANZAC infantry over to activate Persia, then build an IC.  Since you can’t really get an American IC in the middle east to help Britain early in the game, you can do this and let ANZAC to do it instead.  USA makes up the difference by helping defend ANZAC with 100% pacific builds.  If you do this you really need ANZAC to take Brazil so they have enough money.

• '15

@variance:

Another fun one is to use the British transport next to Egypt to get an ANZAC infantry over to activate Persia, then build an IC.  Since you can’t really get an American IC in the middle east to help Britain early in the game, you can do this and let ANZAC to do it instead.  USA makes up the difference by helping defend ANZAC with 100% pacific builds.  If you do this you really need ANZAC to take Brazil so they have enough money.

Learn something new every day on this board

This strategy as a whole (especially considering the heavy US pacific building) sounds pretty effective at beating back Japan

• Customizer

We had a game last year where Japan made some bad moves and got tromped early because of it. So while the US mopped up what was left of Japan, ANZAC not only sent planes to Europe, but transports with troops too. ANZAC even took some European territories, namely Greece and Yugoslavia if I remember right. Kind of weird seeing ANZAC roundels in Europe.

• ANZAC should definitely send boats over to Africa. They can take some money islands on the way, but other than that, they aren’t that useful against the Japanese navy.

As for building an IC in Persia, that is a very creative idea, and I can see ANZAC becoming a real threat to Japan from the west. Also, the have the option to build boats to aid the UK in Egypt. Overall this seems like a sound plan and I can’t wait to test it out!

• I like the idea too! Tho they need some money islands to get funds for the IC and to make it produce!

• The ANZACs can make a difference.  I have used them to help defend Calcutta and if possible, Hong Kong and to help defend Borneo as well as taking Java and Celebs.  But I also like to use them to take the Carolines.  It gives the US a needed air/naval base to launch out from in various directions, including Japan.  I’ve never activated Brazil with the ANZACs because the US or UK have done so early on in the war.  I do like getting them to China to harass the Japanese.  ANZACs in Africa is always a good play but I have found it to be a later-in-the-game tactic.  Using the ANZACs as a can opener for the US Pacific operations (like Germany uses Italy) seems to me to be the most advantageous tactic since those operations are in the ANZAC theater.  It just seems to be a long time on transports before engaging the enemy if you head to Europe.

The ANZAC I/C in Persia is an interesting idea though.  Using the ANZACs to secure the middle east would free up the UK to focus on Calcutta and Cairo as well as helping to secure the Caucuses for the soviets.

• The big issue is ANZAC effectively producing at Persia. In any game ANZAC is extremely vital in wearing down Japan. The US can can-open destroyers screens and allow ANZAC to get through to take islands or attack small Japanese navies, and ANZAC ships and air are also crucial to the defense of the US fleet. Even if the US goes 100% Pacific, if it gets virtually 0 support from ANZAC (which will be the case if ANZAC is building in Persia) it will be hard pressed to advance on Japan.

Even ignoring the value of ANZAC’s units against Japan, the biggest problem is that ANZAC just can’t build well at Persia. If ANZAC is going for a Persia factory, they are going to be making 12 IPCs a turn after Japan declares war since they won’t be trading islands. That is 3 ANZAC mech in Persia. ANZAC units can only help to defend UK stacks, as opposed to UK units which can be used offensively as well. ANZAC also can’t afford to build 3 fighters in Persia ever, unlike the UK. Those fighter builds are often crucial to holding Moscow, while also giving the UK a lot of flexibility in the Mid East.

The UK can just build a factory in Egypt, but planes there take 2 turns to get to Moscow which can really be a problem.

In short I just don’t see any benefit in taking away a prime factory location from the UK and giving it to ANZAC who can barely make 3 cheap units a turn there. This also of course essentially removes ANZAC from the Pacific theatre, where it is sorely needed.

Brazil is the same concept. ANZAC Brazilians can’t really be used offensively anywhere, unlike a US or UK controlled Brazil. Plus it is sending ANZAC transports a long way from the front that they are most effective on.

ANZAC planes in Europe could be helpful, but by the time they could get to Europe it is unlikely that they’d have much to can-open and they would be spending a useless 3 turns or so in transit as opposed to 3 turns being used against Japan in some fashion.

Nice ideas, but I find ANZAC to just be best used to pester Japan and defend Australia if needed.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

@pokemaniac:

The big issue is ANZAC effectively producing at Persia. In any game ANZAC is extremely vital in wearing down Japan. The US can can-open destroyers screens and allow ANZAC to get through to take islands or attack small Japanese navies, and ANZAC ships and air are also crucial to the defense of the US fleet. Even if the US goes 100% Pacific, if it gets virtually 0 support from ANZAC (which will be the case if ANZAC is building in Persia) it will be hard pressed to advance on Japan.

Even ignoring the value of ANZAC’s units against Japan, the biggest problem is that ANZAC just can’t build well at Persia. If ANZAC is going for a Persia factory, they are going to be making 12 IPCs a turn after Japan declares war since they won’t be trading islands. That is 3 ANZAC mech in Persia. ANZAC units can only help to defend UK stacks, as opposed to UK units which can be used offensively as well. ANZAC also can’t afford to build 3 fighters in Persia ever, unlike the UK. Those fighter builds are often crucial to holding Moscow, while also giving the UK a lot of flexibility in the Mid East.

The UK can just build a factory in Egypt, but planes there take 2 turns to get to Moscow which can really be a problem.

In short I just don’t see any benefit in taking away a prime factory location from the UK and giving it to ANZAC who can barely make 3 cheap units a turn there. This also of course essentially removes ANZAC from the Pacific theatre, where it is sorely needed.

Brazil is the same concept. ANZAC Brazilians can’t really be used offensively anywhere, unlike a US or UK controlled Brazil. Plus it is sending ANZAC transports a long way from the front that they are most effective on.

ANZAC planes in Europe could be helpful, but by the time they could get to Europe it is unlikely that they’d have much to can-open and they would be spending a useless 3 turns or so in transit as opposed to 3 turns being used against Japan in some fashion.

Nice ideas, but I find ANZAC to just be best used to pester Japan and defend Australia if needed.

I completely agree with this, although I have never tried ANZAC in Persia. To me it seems like a hassle.
    1. you need to protect UK transport from beeing blown up by italy 1. Does this imply no taranto?
    2. ANZAC can activate Persia end of R2, This means factory R3 and units deployed end of round 4.
    3. I like to have a UK factory there and shuffle UK fighters to Moscow easily if need be. Basically ANZAC units are not doing anything useful before R5ANZAC. Does not seem worthwhile to me. It is a nice noval, idea though

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m