• So the game has been out for over a year now, with a general consensus that the OOB setup favors the Allied Powers. Many efforts have been made to modify the rules or mechanics to enhance play and balance, but if we were to go back to the traditional A&A balancing method of a bid (one unit per territory, must contain units already belonging to that power) for the Central Powers, what do you think would be an appropriate amount? Would you add any other restrictions/allowances to the bid placement?

I think 9 might be a good place to start. It gives the ground options for immediate heavier offense (2 art), long-term potential offense (fighter), or most immediate material (3 inf), as well as a medium naval buy (cruiser), or a mix (sub/transport+inf). 12 gives the most flexibility since everything but cruisers cost a factor of it, but I feel 12 IPCs on the front line could swing the balance over too much.

Thoughts?

• I would be  happy with reducing a French Battleship to a Cruiser and removing a French TT.
    Good topic, by the way. (Minus 10, I suppose.)

• Customizer

You’d have to offer me 20 to even make it worth thinking about. CPs are screwed by OOB movement rules.

• The one thing that can change to give balance and a major oversight by the creators are the submarine rules. Even before the Germans began unrestricted submarine warfare, they did major damage to the British. After they began unrestricted warfare, they did even more damage before the with US assistance, they removed the threat.

The submarine rules are way to weak for the Germans. Submarine damage should be automatic, no rolling. It should be $1 damage per sub to start, $2 once they begin unrestricted submarine warfare.

This can easily be thwarted a turn or two after the US comes into the war and before that, the Germans can’t put to much into submarine warfare due to the demands on the eastern front. But it will slow down the US and British.

• Agree with Flashman. The CP’s are in really rough shape, and 9-12 isn’t enough at all. The advantage is huge for the allies. They should be barely winning even before the US get into the game…

• I tested a couple of solo games with a 20 bid (spent on ground); CPs didn’t win either, so now I know where Flashman’s coming from. I’m just not sure that changing movement rules is the best option, seeing as the PTR need extra Russians so they don’t die horribly.

• Customizer

I think 2 space movement does make some difference; certainly the CPs have fewer units sitting uselessly in transit every turn. Maybe an extra boost by allowing 3 space moves within original CP tt would even things up. But I still favour allowing German production in Munich; the war is fought on Allied soil in the main, and therefore closer to Allied production centres which is the crucial factor. Historically this was not a problem for Germany because of the trains. Because of the damned trains.

• Flash did you ever wrote down your Rail-Movement House Rules? I would like to try them. Does it cost IPCs? How much units can be moved per turn and in which areas?

• I was thinking, a possible way to use a bid of 12 would be to build a AH battleship, that way you could take controll over seazone 17 in round 1, and if you are lucky, you will deny france the ability to activate albania.

• I thought of a tech chart and it had Rail Road tech which was…

Ground units can move 3 spaces through your controlled territories but not through contested and tanks only move 2 spaces (since it’s quite hard to move them by trains) and also this rule does not apply to fighters.

• I dont really like a bid for this game as it influences too much on the eastern front. If I got a 20 bid I would place it all into Budapest for my round1 strike at Romania, which would make my Russia campagne more or less a garantee.
    I would Wittman said alter the starting  navy balance by removing some Allied ships (maybe take away one of Russias cruiser and an italian BS).

• There is another version of the bid which was the first one i heard about. it is to bid for extra production. one could bid for how big berlin should be. if I bid 5, then berlin would have 5 more in production than in the vanilla game. that is a way to balance the game, without too much gamyness of where the bid is placed.

I dont really like a bid for this game as it influences too much on the eastern front. If I got a 20 bid I would place it all into Budapest for my round1 strike at Romania, which would make my Russia campagne more or less a garantee.

that would be ablit difficult since you are only allowed 1 unit per terretory. dince AH has 6 terretories, you would basicly have to place 1 unit everywhere. you could ofcourse use the last two units in germany, or build 1 ftr or do any number of fun things with 20 bid, and I am sure the russian would pay.

• I’m not sure what you mean by increasing production. Are you galkingtalking about making Berlin worth more IPC? In this game the number of units you can place is not limited by the IPC value.

• @drsnidely:

I’m not sure what you mean by increasing production. Are you galkingtalking about making Berlin worth more IPC? In this game the number of units you can place is not limited by the IPC value.

Sure, but Germany would get more money each tun…

For a bid, how about adding 4 more infantry in Africa? It should make Germany much more threatening in Africa (they can occupy 8 territories instead of 4).

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@drsnidely:

I’m not sure what you mean by increasing production. Are you galkingtalking about making Berlin worth more IPC? In this game the number of units you can place is not limited by the IPC value.

Sure, but Germany would get more money each tun…

For a bid, how about adding 4 more infantry in Africa? It should make Germany much more threatening in Africa (they can occupy 8 territories instead of 4).

I get that, just wasn’t sure that was the only intent.

Good idea. I’d love to see Africa become an actual factor instead of mutual trolling that it currently is.

• Yep. If Berlin was wirth 12 instead of 8, the central powers would have 4 more IPC to build for and send to the french or russian front every turn. it would make the productionadvantage of the allies less.

With that type of bid, there would be no bidplacement and therefore less gamyness with the bid.

@drsnidely:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m