TripleA 1.8.0.5 Stable has been released

• Sorry, no help on this specific issue, but just an information regarding Java:

TripleA 1.8.0.5 runs fine with the latest Java 8 Update 45 - and I never had any problems with Java 7 and Triple A before I updated to Java 8.
    I have to say that I only have the JRE installed - and I’m on Windows 7.

• Founder TripleA Admin

I’m able to run TripleA via the shell script just fine. It’s the pre-compiled app “binary” that’s giving me troubles.

• Customizer

@djensen:

When I start the Mac TripleA.app file I receive the following message:

“To open TripleA.app” you need to install the legacy Java SE 6 runtime."

I’m currently using Java 7 on my system. IntelliJ, Android Studio, etc. are able to use it just fine.

So basically, TripleA used the “Apple Java” that came with all mac’s until quite recently (and topped out at Java 6).  Now that people are using “Oracle Java” (Java 7 and 8), this is messing things up a bit.
    Unfortunately, I do not have a Mac, so I can’t really fix this.  The issue is complicated a little bit (possibly) because we use “Apple Java Extensions” (which as of right now is an included jar), which might or might not be included with Java 7 or 8 for macs.
    I put out a call to hopefully get this resolved:
    http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/Need-help-from-someone-who-has-created-java-apps-for-Mac-OS-X-tp7587333.html

i’d love for someone to help us out…

• Founder TripleA Admin

Now that I’m back to Java/Android development, I might be able to pitch in.

I have a few conditions:
    1. Move the project to GitHub.
    2. Migrate to gradle builds.

From there I can take over the networking parts of the project.  I’ll very likely use Retrofit and RxJava.

Since the open source community is super active on GitHub, we might even be able to find some new contributors.  :-D

We might even consider splitting off pieces of the codebase into re-usable modules and come out with an Android version of TripleA.

• Customizer

1. github does not support everything we need (like a website, bug and ticket tracker, etc).  i’ve told redrum though that i am not opposed to using git on sourceforge, but i doubt anything will change soon on this front.
    2. redrum and bernat are figuring out how to do the gradle builds already, and it is maybe half way done

i don’t think the project needs to be refactored completely just to fix what appears to be a small library/build issue

• Founder TripleA Admin

That’s great to hear about the gradle builds.

Sorry, that’s completely wrong. Github has everything that Sourceforge has and more. It has quickly overtaken Sourceforge as the largest open source community. It’s so popular that Google has shutdown Google Code and telling everybody to migrate to Github. Google is even using Github for some of their own projects.

Github has

• Ticket tracking
    • Wiki pages
    • Githubpages, you just create a branch on your existing repo
        - This page: http://expressjs.com/ is just a repo from here: https://github.com/strongloop/expressjs.com hosted on Github.
    • Organizations. This makes the idea of having separate modules
    • Pull requests. Instead of hacky patches, pull requests are branches that can have their own history and merged with any other branch (but usually master) of the project.
    • No annoying advertising.
        - No misdirection ads.
    • Community. Nothing beats this. Even Bitbucket which has a similar interface and workflow does not have the community that github has.
    • Integrations. Numerous third party dev tools integrate directly with Github. For instance TravisCI for continuous integration.

I’m looking at the bigger picture beyond the immediate build issue. It seems you would like help with the project. Reducing the barriers to entry as well has going where the developers are (instead of making them come to you) will help with this.

Change is hard but it’s always good to challenge yourself with regard to technology.

• Customizer

i will think about it some more, but honestly it is a huge amount of work, and i won’t have time for it until 2016

• Founder TripleA Admin

I think the amount of work to do this is less than you think and I can help and spearhead the transition. I don’t have a ton of time in the next couple of months but I think I can spend some time in the late summer early fall.

@Veqryn:

i will think about it some more, but honestly it is a huge amount of work, and i won’t have time for it until 2016

• Which map comes closest to the Global 1940 A&A game?

• '17 '16 '15

world warII Global 1940 2nd edition

• OK apparently I can’t quote anything with a link either, but for those Mac users trying to get this to work…

For those still looking, you can download the legacy JRE 6 installer by googling “Java for OS X 2015-001”. I’d post the link, but I can’t :(. Anyhow it seems to keep getting moved / hidden but I found it in kBase (supportapplecom) and you can search there with the following article id: “dl1572”.

• @jalingo:

OK apparently I can’t quote anything with a link either, but for those Mac users trying to get this to work…

For those still looking, you can download the legacy JRE 6 installer by googling “Java for OS X 2015-001”. I’d post the link, but I can’t :(. Anyhow it seems to keep getting moved / hidden but I found it in kBase (supportapplecom) and you can search there with the following article id: “dl1572”.

Welcome to the forum, jalingo, and thank you for your input.
    Please note that the TripleA version you are referring to, is outdated.
    So is the JRE 6, too.

TripleA 1.9 will be released soon, replacing version 1.8.0.9, and it needs Java 8.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m