• '18 '17

Hey folks,

I’m trying to get an idea of where you’d start if you knew then what you know now? I have several versions of the game… the '86 release, 50th anniversary, and Global 1940. I’m sure I’ll end up playing Global more than the others but would like to hear your thoughts. I follow several of the members here that are on Ytube. Thanks!

• '16

Do you mean which one you’d begin playing, or which one you’d begin modding?

• '18 '17

Sorry… I meant which game would you mod and what mods would you focus on first? I’ve painted miniatures for many many years so I’ve considered doing that as well.

• I would play Annie. straight out of the box first to get the rules down.
    Both start times offer something different to challenge you.
    Play time is also shorter.

Next, I’d read the G40 rules and note the differences.

From this, you either try G40 as is or start modding either set of rules.

It really comes down to what you want out of the game.
    Shorter-longer play time/more-less complex rules/bigger footprint maps and more maneuver room.

There are rules sets posted here which have modded the game already, so you might look at these first as they may fit the bill for what you want out of the game.

For me, playing a few games OOB is key to understanding why others and yourself need mods in the first place.

• Are you sure the question ist about rule mods?

I have the slight feeling the question ist about optical mods to the game.

Read “customizations”

• '18 '17

I suppose it doesn’t much matter which game you mod, since most pieces can be used in several (if not all) of the games.  For instance, Japanese and German fighters are pretty common, as are American bombers.  I enjoy painting the aircraft, so that’s where I’m focusing. Tanks are fun too.  I am putting off the infantry pieces simply because there are so many and so detailed.

Bottom line is, paint what you think you’ll enjoy painting. Mod the maps you enjoy playing. Through time and practice, you’ll refine what you are doing and better understand what you enjoy. Happy hunting!

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

The customizations that I like most are ones that are quite generic and can be used and reused for multiple AA games.

The most noteworthy are hit dice (which significantly speeds up game play) and magnetic flight stands and carriers.

• @robert:

I would play Annie. straight out of the box first to get the rules down.
    Both start times offer something different to challenge you.
    Play time is also shorter.

Next, I’d read the G40 rules and note the differences.

From this, you either try G40 as is or start modding either set of rules.

It really comes down to what you want out of the game.
    Shorter-longer play time/more-less complex rules/bigger footprint maps and more maneuver room.

There are rules sets posted here which have modded the game already, so you might look at these first as they may fit the bill for what you want out of the game.

For me, playing a few games OOB is key to understanding why others and yourself need mods in the first place.

Robert here pretty much said it all. Start with AA50 so your not overwelmed right away and then try G40. Paint your pieces as you play. It will be up to you what game and mods yourself and group players like the best. If you add or make changes only do 1 or 2 things per game and keep play testing to see how you like it. Theres a lot of different things out there to try so just jump in and go.

• '18 '17

@Tjoek:

The customizations that I like most are ones that are quite generic and can be used and reused for multiple AA games.

The most noteworthy are hit dice (which significantly speeds up game play) and magnetic flight stands and carriers.

I have to second this - magnetizing your aircraft for flight stands and carriers is a great (as well as relatively inexpensive) place to start. Once you magnetize your aircraft, then you can set about painting them if you wish. Doing it the other way around just messes up your paint job.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

I cast my vote for starting with the aircraft as well.  Using a hobby drill, make a hole to take a magnet on both your carrier and the aircraft.  We’ve actually used the 1/16 x 1/32 magnets available from http://www.primalhorizon.com/products.php.  The magnets are their most popular product right now and the link takes you right to them.  Your local hobby store may have them, too.  Make sure you have the polarity right so the magnets work.

• @DMcLaren:

The magnets are their most popular product right now and the link takes you right to them.  Your local hobby store may have them, too.  Make sure you have the polarity right so the magnets work.

DMcLaren’s good point about getting the polarity right, which made me visualize airplanes jumping up from the decks of carriers rather than sticking to them, reminds me of a funny anecdote I once read about an American officer (in the Navy, if I’m not mistaken; I can’t recall his name).  He occupied a fairly high-level staff position which, among other things, involved meeting defense contractors and evaluating proposals from them.  One defense contractor brought him some draft specifications for a proposed carrier aircraft.  The officer, who had a background in aeronautical engineering, examined the specs closely, did some calculations, then exclaimed in amazement (actually in sarcasm) that this was the most fantastic design he had even seen because, by extrapolating one of the performance graphs, he could see that the aircraft had “negative drag”, meaning that the carrier crew would have to strap the plane down to the deck to keep it from taking off on its own.

• @DMcLaren:

I cast my vote for starting with the aircraft as well.  Using a hobby drill, make a hole to take a magnet on both your carrier and the aircraft.  We’ve actually used the 1/16 x 1/32 magnets available from http://www.primalhorizon.com/products.php.  The magnets are their most popular product right now and the link takes you right to them.  Your local hobby store may have them, too.  Make sure you have the polarity right so the magnets work.

I use the wrong polarity to remind me that I need to use the planes on attack before I forget.  :-D

Yes right polarity please.

• '18 '17

Picked up a bunch of magnets and will give em a mark so I can start drilling. Many thanks all!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m