• imagine a situation where you are about to invade an island.  It is defended by 1 inf and you can bring only 1 trn worth of troops.  What do you choose?  The Inf/Art combo for 7ipcs and 4 attack value, or the inf/arm for 9ipcs and 4 attack value.  You may be counter attacked so having the additional defense of an arm might also be an advantage.

Which is the more cost effective trn load to capture the territory and possibly defend it?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Well it REALLY depends.

Personally, I’d be more likely to put 1 inf 1 art on the island.

But there are occassion, like if I KNOW I’ve got to take it, and have the option, that I’ll throw an Armor out there aswell.

You know… in the long run…

The Inf/Artillery is better, and more “cost effective”.  Even considering the counter attack.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I agree, it really depends.

However, let us assume I have 1 Infantry, 1 Artillery and 1 Armor and the island is not at risk of being retaken by the enemy, then I use 1 Infantry, 1 Armor.  If the island is at risk of being liberated, I use 1 infnatry, 1 Artillery.

The former because I think the tank having 50/50 chance is better than having two units with a 33/67 chance.  The latter, because, as you pointed out, CHEAPER!

• Wouldn’t it make more sense to always use the infantry+armor combo for that situation?  Suppose you roll two 6s on the first roll and the defender gets a 1 and you lose the infantry.  If you roll a 3 on the second roll you could take the island if you have armor but not if you have artillery.  In the case of a counterattack you would defend on a 3 instead of a 2 (or 2&3 instead of 2&2 if the infantry survives).  Besides its only 2 bucks more.

• Customizer

I prefer the inf/art combo.  I think you have a slightly better chance of scoring a hit rolling 2 dice for 2 rather than 1 dice for 1 and 1 dice for 3.  Plus, I just don’t like to leave tanks on islands if I can help it.

• Inf art is always better for islands. With no exceptions.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

On first round of combat.

1 infantry and 1 artillery has 5/9th chance of hitting at least one. That’s 20 out of 36.

1 infantry and 1 tank has 7/12th chance of hitting at leat one. That’s 21 out of 36.

The odds are essentially the same the first round, but are much better with the tank if the enemy hits.

Because the cost of the tank is quite a bit more, I prefer to go with infantry and artillery. Even better, if you have the planes to support you, go only with infantry!

@Omega1759:

On the first round of combat, my true love gave to me….

Sorry…that’s what I thougt the instant I read that.

I still say if it is a counter attack situation, go with the inf/art since the odds of the surviving armor/artillery hitting on defense is negligable.  If it si a hit and never lose, then go with the armor.  Better odds if your infantry dies.

• @The:

Inf art is always better for islands. With no exceptions.

obviously not or this situation would not come up.  How is a inf/art better than an inf/arm in defense?  that’s 5 defense strength vs 4.  I used to have arm ‘sitting around’ in Japan after the US fleet came through.  They provide a threat of good defenders, provided they have a nice inf shield in front of them.  Arm defend at 3 and therefore have a reason to be on islands.

Thanks for putting the numbers up Mantlefan, you’re right in that its not just about having the strongest unit left after the battle to defend, but also to have the strongest attack in order to take the island.  I think inf/arm is stronger after looking at those numbers mostly because if you take a casualty but don’t deal one out, round 2 is arm vs inf instead of art vs inf.

• '10

@mantlefan:

Could the tank be used somewhere where moving it 2 is useful in the forseeable future? Or is it just a 3a 3d unit in its usefulness to you?

That’s the big one for me when going after an island under your situation. You pay a little more for tanks, for one, because of its extra movement, and then it gets stuck on the island. It’s not like it would be a bonehead move to use a tank, it’s really not much difference as others have said, but if you got a frontline somewhere else on land the tank would be more usefull there than going after the island.

• @Cmdr:

@Omega1759:

On the first round of combat, my true love gave to me….

Four AA-hits, three tanks shots, two artillery misses and a sole infanteeereeeeeee

Sorry i couldn’t resist :)

On topic: inf/art is alweays a good basis for any attack/defence force.

Amphibious, if i have 2 transporters, i like the combo 2inf/1art/1tank.

5 STRATEGIC bombing RAIDS!!!

@Col.:

@mantlefan:

Could the tank be used somewhere where moving it 2 is useful in the forseeable future? Or is it just a 3a 3d unit in its usefulness to you?

That’s the big one for me when going after an island under your situation. You pay a little more for tanks, for one, because of its extra movement, and then it gets stuck on the island. It’s not like it would be a bonehead move to use a tank, it’s really not much difference as others have said, but if you got a frontline somewhere else on land the tank would be more usefull there than going after the island.

Could the tank be landed on a continent the next round and it’s movement fully utilized again?  If the island is a way station…

• For those of you with an Android phone I would recommend the Axis and Allies simulator. You plug in what type of game you are playing, any special conditions that exist, what unit types, what type of battle, etc. and it runs the battle 1000 times and let’s you know the outcome. We actually ban it from games, but helps when considering a tactic or in post-play. Obviously there are other factors to consider other than the odds, but it can’t hurt.

Here are the results of a few sims I have run for the amphibious assault of 1 defending infantry vs. the various transport arrangements.

Attacker : Defender | Attacker Win Avg. | Defender Win Avg. |Total Destruction |Attacker avg. IPC Loss | Defender avg. IPC Loss
    Inf. 2        Inf. 1      67.5%                  27.1%                    5.4%                3                                2

Inf. 1
    Art. 1        Inf 1        86.7%                  9.3%                    4.0%                  2                              3

Inf. 1
    Tnk. 1      Inf. 1      90.1%                  4.9%                      5.0%                2                              3

As always I think the best bang for your buck is Inf and Arty. Again, there are other factors to consider, such as your overall objective.

Interesting that the chance for total destruction is 1% higher if you use an armor, than if you use inf and artillery….

• '10

@Cmdr:

Could the tank be landed on a continent the next round and it’s movement fully utilized again?  If the island is a way station…

I was thinking about that while typing my response. That’s a glass half full, half empty situation. On one hand you’re not getting a tank until at least two rounds later because movement on the transport, but you can also look at it as getting a “free” tank to move with your latest purchases. Of course, that’s only if the orgin or the final destination on a continent of the transport is one turn away from the island you are attacking.

• @Cmdr:

@Col.:

@mantlefan:

Could the tank be landed on a continent the next round and it’s movement fully utilized again?  If the island is a way station…

No.  Most likely that tank is going to die in the counter attack.  So it’s value as a move 2 unit is irrelevant.  It will die.  It will die before it can move again.  So knowing the units you bring over are going to die, would you rather bring a inf/art or inf/arm for the better attack value and defense value…for 2 more ipcs.  I think for a country with a lot of ipcs, like US or Germany, inf/arm is the way to go.  You get better dice and if you get the chance to land in Japan or SAmerica you might just want that tank anyways.  But for a poor country like Italy or ANZAC going the cheap route might be best.

• @BlynderOG:

For those of you with an Android phone I would recommend the Axis and Allies simulator. You plug in what type of game you are playing, any special conditions that exist, what unit types, what type of battle, etc. and it runs the battle 1000 times and let’s you know the outcome. We actually ban it from games, but helps when considering a tactic or in post-play. Obviously there are other factors to consider other than the odds, but it can’t hurt.

Here are the results of a few sims I have run for the amphibious assault of 1 defending infantry vs. the various transport arrangements.

Attacker : Defender | Attacker Win Avg. | Defender Win Avg. |Total Destruction |Attacker avg. IPC Loss | Defender avg. IPC Loss
    Inf. 2        Inf. 1       67.5%                   27.1%                    5.4%                 3                                2

Inf. 1
    Art. 1        Inf 1        86.7%                   9.3%                     4.0%                  2                               3

Inf. 1
    Tnk. 1       Inf. 1       90.1%                   4.9%                      5.0%                 2                               3

As always I think the best bang for your buck is Inf and Arty. Again, there are other factors to consider, such as your overall objective.

Yeah, that app is excellent.  We too bar it from gameplay.

@-Wolverine-:

@BlynderOG:

For those of you with an Android phone I would recommend the Axis and Allies simulator. You plug in what type of game you are playing, any special conditions that exist, what unit types, what type of battle, etc. and it runs the battle 1000 times and let’s you know the outcome. We actually ban it from games, but helps when considering a tactic or in post-play. Obviously there are other factors to consider other than the odds, but it can’t hurt.

Inf. 2        Inf. 1       67.5%                   27.1%                    5.4%                 3                                2

Inf. 1
    Art. 1        Inf 1        86.7%                   9.3%                     4.0%                  2                               3

Inf. 1
    Tnk. 1       Inf. 1       90.1%                   4.9%                      5.0%                 2                               3

Yeah, that app is excellent.  We too bar it from gameplay.

Get virtually the same thing from Frood, but I think his is WAY more detailed and user friendly. Doesnt do Global or Anniversary though.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m