• Sponsor

@Zhukov44:

Great list.  Some of my all-time favorites.

Only criticism is “Enemy at the Gates” seems out of place.  I preferred “Stalingrad”.

Your a brave man for choosing “the thin red line” I liked it, but some here may give you the gears. Although I admit that “Enemy at the gates” is not in the top half of this list, the opening 20 min. Rivals “Saving Private Ryan” and it proves that Ed Harris was born to play Rommel in the next Desert Fox movie (I wish).

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

BOTB POWA!

• Many nice films on this list… , but i have to go with Cross Of Iron, because of the tremendous impact it had on me at the time.

Not many films from a German point of view also in those days (though the story is universal enough).

• I will say the Battle of the Bulge, because it opened the door for my granfather discussing his role in the Battle.

• To End All Wars is a great movie about the Burma Railroad.

• You didn’t seriously put “U-571” on this list did you? That goes in the ‘worst’ ever thread. Maybe a double feature of awfulness with “Pearl Harbor” good but it can’t see best with the Hubble.

Dead Snow is one of the best ever…. lol

• Sponsor

Stalag 17 has replaced U-571. Voters can change their pick if they wish.

• Why is it in everyone of these polls Das Boot does so well, its not that great of a movie. Ok I’ll grant you its accurate and is from a very orignal perspective but seriously? Long hours of a bunch of sweaty Germans cramped in a sub is just not an intresting movie. I mean maybe if the movie wasnt so nightmarishly long I wouldnt dislike it so much. Towards the end, I literally started rooting for the movie to sink the boat and kill the damn crew, they were like freakin cockroaches!!

• Sponsor

@Clyde85:

Why is it in everyone of these polls Das Boot does so well, its not that great of a movie. Ok I’ll grant you its accurate and is from a very orignal perspective but seriously? Long hours of a bunch of sweaty Germans cramped in a sub is just not an intresting movie. I mean maybe if the movie wasnt so nightmarishly long I wouldnt dislike it so much. Towards the end, I literally started rooting for the movie to sink the boat and kill the damn crew, they were like freakin cockroaches!!

Ya…. its long, but IMO, aside from being suspenseful and well acted, its a masterpiece foreign film about closure for one of histories most triumphant and catastrophic tales of naval warfare. To me its more than a story of one crew, but rather hundreds of U-boat crews that died a whole lot worst deaths than the characters in the film.

• Tora,Tora,Tora was excellent. It gave you the war from both sides. That is the problem with a lot of these films is they are not historically accurate. I voted for Patton. I believe it is the greatest acting performance in history. George C Scott was incredible. I never saw cross of iron. I want to let me know if any of you have seen it and what you think. Thanks

I saw it,  it’s ok,  problem is that it’s DATED…

There are some cool parts, but overall it’s depressing.  Downfall wasn’t even as bad!

• Sponsor

Although I liked it, Tora, Tora, Tora didn’t do well in the first poll, so I left it off Pt.2. Looks like Patton has tied Das Boot, George C. Scott was amazing, can’t remember weather or not he won an oscar for it.

• Scott won but did not accept citing a belief that actors shouldn’t compete for awards.

• Sponsor

@frimmel:

Scott won but did not accept citing a belief that actors shouldn’t compete for awards.

Interesting.

• @Young:

Here we go again, and I still say “Das Boot”

Have any of you seen Saint’s & Soldiers?  Not trying to go against your poll here.  Just saying I think all of you would enjoy it.

• '10

A great list for sure…  But again I vote DAS BOOT

• Sponsor

Looks like me watching “Patton” 5 times has been justified.

• @Gargantua:

I saw it,  it’s ok,  problem is that it’s DATED…

There are some cool parts, but overall it’s depressing.  Downfall wasn’t even as bad!

Thank you! I mean I thought Downfall was great but Das Boot is just plain boring.

Although, I haven watched it since my high school German class (which was alot longer ago then i’d like to think) so maybe I should give it a second chance

• '16 '15 '10

@Clyde85:

@Gargantua:

I saw it,  it’s ok,  problem is that it’s DATED…

There are some cool parts, but overall it’s depressing.  Downfall wasn’t even as bad!

Thank you! I mean I thought Downfall was great but Das Boot is just plain boring.

Although, I haven watched it since my high school German class (which was alot longer ago then i’d like to think) so maybe I should give it a second chance

Das Boot is worth a 2nd viewing for sure.  In a high-school German class, it’s probably pretty easy to get distracted and stop following the subtitles.  Also, some aspects of the film are subtle and it’s easier to identify with the protagonists with the benefit of maturity and knowledge of history.  The dubbed version is pretty horrific–try to find the German with subtitles.

I’m also a big fan of Downfall but Das Boot deserves huge kudos for being ahead of its time and such an awesome sub movie.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m