• Sponsor

@frimmel:

You know if you have to dig through someone else’s list to make sure a movie gets on your list you might consider disqualifying it as ‘best’ at the minimum. Best and faves don’t need jogged from your memory, they leap unbidden to the forefront.

If we’re going to do a A&A dot org top ten list should we set some ground rules? I’d disqualify stuff like “Inglorious Bastards” and “Kelly’s Heroes” for being utterly fictitious. But that would disqualify “Saving Private Ryan” which I don’t think should be.

Maybe get some more posts in here and then take the top 10-15 recurring titles. Then have a pick 3 poll. That should get us a fairly clear consensus on the top films among the board members.

For me, my favorite movies that don’t need to be jogged from memory may not be the best WWII movies ever made. I spoke to a kid last year who claimed that the best movie ever made was Terminator 2, as good as it is, its just not accurate. I wouldn’t want to insult anyones intelligence by claiming my own opinion as gold. I would be more than OK with accepting a consensus #1 movie in which I have never seen, and I do agree that there should be some “guidelines” when nominating films for this dubious list. This might include making 2 lists, movies made before 1980 and movies made after 1980. And we could even sub divide them into action movies and dramatic movies (you can decide which is which if a movie has both elements). From the movies I have viewed, my choices would go something like this:

Action before 1980: 
    1. The longest day
    2. A bridge to far
    3. Tora Tora Tora

Drama before 1980:
    1. Casablanca
    2. The great escape
    3. Stalag 17

Action after 1980:
    1. Saving private Ryan
    2. Memphis Belle
    3. Enemy at the gates

Drama after 1980:
    1. Das boot
    2. Schindler’s list
    3. The thin red line

What do you think?

• '10

@Young:

Dam…… Forgot about inglorious basterds. Should make this list a top 10 project.

Have you seen the original?  I liked it better….

• Sponsor

@FieldMarshalGames:

@Young:

Dam…… Forgot about inglorious basterds. Should make this list a top 10 project.

Have you seen the original?  I liked it better….

No…. I didn’t know there was one. I also didn’t know that The thin red line was a remake from the 60s.

• Well one of the things I encounter quite often is a confusion about liking a movie or enjoying a movie and the movie actually being any good. I’m not suggesting that my opinion for example carry more weight than yours or any one elses. But it seemed an interesting exercise to create a list and a list should have some finer level criteria for inclusion.

I won’t try to deny that “Inglorious Basterds” is a fine film but does it really belong on the same list as “The Longest Day” or “Das Boot” or even a far more inferior film like “Valkyrie” when we talk of Best WWII Film? Which begs the question of what would constitute Best WWII Film in the first place?

• So giving this more consideration I don’t know that I can make a good case for excluding “Basterds.” It just for me doesn’t ‘fit’ which isn’t very objective.  :roll:

• Sponsor

@frimmel:

Well one of the things I encounter quite often is a confusion about liking a movie or enjoying a movie and the movie actually being any good. I’m not suggesting that my opinion for example carry more weight than yours or any one elses. But it seemed an interesting exercise to create a list and a list should have some finer level criteria for inclusion.

I won’t try to deny that “Inglorious Basterds” is a fine film but does it really belong on the same list as “The Longest Day” or “Das Boot” or even a far more inferior film like “Valkyrie” when we talk of Best WWII Film? Which begs the question of what would constitute Best WWII Film in the first place?

I don’t know the answer to that question, I believe that it should be established if the list will be selected on the ability of capturing historic accuracy, capturing the human experience of war, or capturing the glory of battle. There may also be something to be said about directorial style and if it is simply entertaining enough. Inglorious Basterds was arguably the most entertaining WWII film ever, but I agree that alone won’t make the cut. Is it possible to name the greatest WWII film? Should we make brackets and vote? Maybe we should start with a list of films that would be a crime if left off. I don’t know……

• Sponsor

@frimmel:

So giving this more consideration I don’t know that I can make a good case for excluding “Basterds.” It just for me doesn’t ‘fit’ which isn’t very objective.  :roll:

A lot of people feel the same way about the thin red line, when I first saw it in the theater it was only a month after I saw Saving private Ryan. Tough movie to follow if your the thin red line and incomparable because of their style and messages. Need less to say I was very disappointed, I labeled it a long winded artsy fartsy waste of my ticket money, but when I watched it for the second time only 1 year ago, I was absolutely blown away. Why Nick Nolte didn’t win an oscar for his roll I have no idea, oh right…… Private Ryan.

• No brackets. Then you’d have “Stalag 17” up against “The Great Escape” and “The Longest Day” up against “Saving Private Ryan” and IMNSHO that just won’t do.

I think we’re doing okay with just trying to get folks’ top 5 to 10 for the time being. So…

Das Boot
    Patton
    The Longest Day
    The Best Years of Their Lives
    A Bridge To Far
    Letters From Iwo Jima
    The Bridge on the River Kwai
    Stalag 17
    Schindler’s List

• Nolte was the best thing in “The Thin Red Line.” I need to take the time to watch that again. I was disappointed with it as well. Individual parts tended to be pretty spectacular but as a whole it didn’t ‘work.’ I don’t consider it ‘best’ but I wouldn’t say it doesn’t ‘fit’ the same way “Basterds” doesn’t fit.

• '10

@frimmel:

Well one of the things I encounter quite often is a confusion about liking a movie or enjoying a movie and the movie actually being any good. I’m not suggesting that my opinion for example carry more weight than yours or any one elses. But it seemed an interesting exercise to create a list and a list should have some finer level criteria for inclusion.

I posted my choices based on at least some degree of realism.

• saving private ryan or enemy at the gates

• Sponsor

@450thMSAF:

saving private ryan or enemy at the gates

In my opinion, they are two in the same. I would watch either one right now.

• Sponsor

Right now, it seems to be between Das boot and The longest day.

• I didn’t see anyone mention the ‘Dirty Dozen’

Too many movies to group together into one list.

What about documentaries/propaganda like Frank Capra’s “Why We Fight”
    Just bought those DVD’s from Borders for like $4.

• @axis_roll:

I didn’t see anyone mention the ‘Dirty Dozen’

I love “The Dirty Dozen” but it is far from the best WWII film I’ve ever seen.

I think for our exercise we should stick with dramatizations and leave off anything that is full on propaganda (could “Inglorious Basterds” be considered propaganda?) or straight up documentary.

• Sponsor

@frimmel:

@axis_roll:

I didn’t see anyone mention the ‘Dirty Dozen’

I love “The Dirty Dozen” but it is far from the best WWII film I’ve ever seen.

I think for our exercise we should stick with dramatizations and leave off anything that is full on propaganda (could “Inglorious Basterds” be considered propaganda?) or straight up documentary.

I agree.

• inglorious bastards sucked

• Two movies (not previously mentioned) which rate well on the realism scale are “Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo” (1944) and “Battleground” (1949) – coincidentally, both starring the same actor, Van Johnson. “Battleground”, although it depicts a fictional company of the 101st Airborne during the Battle of the Bulge, is for the most part very accurate from a historical point of view.  “Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo” was based on the memoirs of Ted Lawson, the Doolittle Raid pilot played by Johnson; Lawson worked closely with the production crew, which further helped its accuracy.  (As a contrast, compare this film to “Destination Tokyo”, with Cary Grant, made in 1943, which also deals with the Doolittle Raid.  Very entertaining and watchable, but 99% fictional and full of nonsense and inaccuracies.  For example, the references to dates and events made in the film would only make sense if the Doolittle Raid had occurred in 1943 rather than 1942!)

• @Young:

I also liked fat boy and little man, with Paul Newman.

“Fat Man and Little Boy”, actually.

“Sahara” (1943), with Humphrey Bogart, is another wartime classic.  It was based on a Soviet film (The Thirteen) which was itself based on the film The Lost Patrol (originally made in Britain 1929, remade in the U.S. in 1934).  “Sahara” was itself remade under the same title in 1995, and as “Last of the Comanches” in 1953.  I haven’t seen any of the earlier or later versions, but I’ve watched the Bogart one a dozen times.

Non Military would be Schindler’s List. That one is one of my favorites of all time. As far as War (historically accurate), I’m going with The Longest Day.

GG

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m