Allied bid placement strategies

• A bomber on a destroyer is not a sure thing.  It’s only a 57% chance that you sink both boats, and even if you do your bomber is exposed on Algeria.  One out of 7 times you will sink nothing and lose your bomber over Z9.

Rommell’s idea of attacking Karelia and Egypt at the same time was assuming no bid to Africa or Western front of Russia.  He did not say to attack Karelia and Egypt if there were bid units in Egypt.

• @Gamerman01:

A bomber on a destroyer is not a sure thing.  It’s only a 57% chance that you sink both boats, and even if you do your bomber is exposed on Algeria.  One out of 7 times you will sink nothing and lose your bomber over Z9.

Rommell’s idea of attacking Karelia and Egypt at the same time was assuming no bid to Africa or Western front of Russia.  He did not say to attack Karelia and Egypt if there were bid units in Egypt.

Alright just throwing some ideas out, if your bomber goes 9 a tank moves libya to morroco and on italy’s turn inf too if britts didnt get it… IMO you spread too thin in general on a Kare opening and any variation will be left with flaws.
    Karelia isn’t a good move IMO.

where do ya’ll stand on russia’s bid if they get 10… 2inf 1 art or two tanks

2inf 1 art pros, one more unit and in the end more defensive forces…cons less moving options

• I have playd about 100 AA41 games online. As I said before allies need to bid egypt and russia if they would like to play long game… Or they will drop on the rankings very fast… (loosing round 1 70%chance, even if germany fail a attack axis would still have 50% of winning the game)

Kill russia first, dont mind UK, NEVER buy a carrier! UK have to buy a carrier anyway… Meet me in triplea, bid a destroyer, watch me steamroll you.

• '16 '15 '10

@ErwinRommel:

Here is a open if allies choose a bad bid (destroyer or bid against japan)

Germany round one:
    Buy 7inf and 2tnk or
         2inf and 5tnk

CM:

attack karelia with 3inf art 4fighter and cruiser shot

odds 91% in dice, low luck its 100%

attack egypt with 2inf art 2tank bmb

odds 75win, 82% draw, if england rolls good round 1 retreat

attack zone 6 with sub

attack zone 9 two subs

attack baltic 3inf,art,tnk

attack EP inf,3tnk

attack ukraine 3inf,art,2,tnk

If you get seruis unlucky just pull out, no problem.

If your playing against very inexperienced players and its only a question of time before you win its okey do do a safer move…

While I think this deployment has promise if you want to play the odds and make a big gamble early, it’s too risky for my taste.

1. SZ6 is only 50/50 with this deployment.  You need the cruiser to be sure, but that would lower your Kar odds.
    2. SZ9 has decent odds of success but usa can counter the surviving subs USA1.
    3. Yes Kar is 89% to ‘win’, but the odds are only 76% that G survives with 2 or more units remaining, and 63% to survive with 3 or more units remaining.  That means, 37% of the time G will lose either 3 inf art fig or 3 inf 2 fig.  Or more.  Not worth it imho, when you could have used that air to get expensive British naval units out of the game.

Since on average G will lose a fig to the aa gun anyway, Germany loses more ipcs in this exchange the majority of the time.  Now if you add in the +7 ipcs you get for taking Kar, then that puts the balance back in G’s favor.  However G has also sacrificed alot strategically…for example R can retake Kar R1 and then UK can destroy whatever you have left in Scandinavia on UK1.  And G will be down 1-2 fighters, with the bulk of the Brit navy still intact.

1. Egy is 25% to not work, and if G fails to kill that Egy fig they wont be able to ferry any more units to Africa.

IMHO this G1 has some statistical data in its favor but ultimately its a big gamble. If either Egy or Kar fail, then G will be vulnerable to KGF.  In my experience playing TripleA live, I saw G1s like this alot, and very often one side or the other ends up surrendering after G1.  If everything works Allies surrender, and if things go wrong Axis surrenders.

If Erwin’s larger point is that Allies are taking too big a risk if they don’t bid to Egy/Russia then I’m inclined to agree.  The fact that you can make these attacks and all of them outside sz6 are favorable is a good argument that you have to place some bid units in Egy and/or Russia.

I don’t have to worry so much about it because I’m usually going to put that bid unit in Egy, which reduces G’s odds to 40%, meaning that if they went with the above deployment they’d be risking losing the Italy fleet on UK1 too.

• You didn’t read my reply #30?  I said a lot of the same things.

For example, Z6
    Actually it’s not really “50/50”.  It’s 40-40-20.

• @Zhukov44:

IMHO it’s a gambler’s G1.  If either Egy or Kar fail, then G will be vulnerable to KGF.  In my experience playing TripleA live, I saw G1s like this alot, and very often one side or the other ends up surrendering after G1.  If everything works Allies surrender, and if things go wrong Axis surrenders.

I believe it.  And most players don’t want their A&A game to be decided after G1.  The Allied player hasn’t even made a decision yet, other than placing a bid…  :roll:

• '16 '15 '10

@Gamerman01:

You didn’t read my reply #30?  I said a lot of the same things.

For example, Z6
    Actually it’s not really “50/50”.  It’s 40-40-20.

Sorry, I missed all the discussion the original post started lol.  For some reason I thought page 2 was the end of the thread.

• :-)
    I’m enjoying your posts anyway

• The point is that bid must be placed the same way every time.

• It’s funny to see people coming and saying “there is only one truth”…

I agree that putting one inf in Egypt is very good for a 3ipc investment. But after that… I believe there are plenty of options. And to my mind putting the rest of your bid to Russia is very far away from being mandatory…

I can ensure you that putting a sub in sz35 is not a bad idea. That can really slow down Japan, and increase your options early on.

Of course, if axis roll perfectly on round 1 the game is almost decided… but this is the case whatever the bid is ; the point is… what are the odds of that happening ?

Honestly, I still dunno if there is a best strategy for the allies, and I too played a lot of games. I like playing KJF (or better said, I do not enjoy KGF), but nonetheless I already changed my plans to a KGF when I saw that my opponent was anticipating my moves in a way that would cost me the game. There are so many options, and so many early rolling… maybe the only viable strategy is to adapt to dices and opponent strategy :)

• Terrific post, Yoshi -

and I completely agree (for what it’s worth)

• You wont see that bid in the league though…

• I just opened the nine first league thread with a bid at 9 or more (one can assume that you prefer to put the inf in Egypt before thinking on the sub) - this is at the current time the two first pages of the league forum, and two of them used this bid… I think one can see it.

(and I do not claim that the sub bid has to be ; just saying that’s an option, and not a bad one).

• '16 '15 '10

@ErwinRommel:

You wont see that bid in the league though…

I played alot of TripleA live and I was quite successful with inf egy ss 35 as my standard bid in dice games.  I’ve also used that bid in most of my ladder games and generally I’ve done well except against the best of the best.

I’m not so high on the ss 35 any more because opponents have learned how to react/counter it.  And that’s perfectly natural–placement bids ought to change up as people get used to countering them.  Then we get new placements as players try to innovate and create new strategies.

However if one’s opponent doesn’t know exactly how to deal with the ss in 35 then sometimes it’s better than bidding the 6 to Russia.  Particularly in dice games, that ss can have a decisive impact, because it usually forces Japan to take some additional risks J1, opening up the possibility of “cascade dice failure”.

All your previous post demonstrated was that Allies are taking a risk if they don’t bid to Egy.  Nothing was established about bidding to Russia.  Don’t get me wrong–bidding land units to Russia is a good bid, and very reasonable considering how many NOs are at stake in Eastern Europe.  It’s just not the only bid.

• Well a subs is as good as it gets if you dont want to bid russia at all. In low luck your destined to loose, but in dice it can preform ok. But id rather preasure Germany and not Japan as Germany can alone take russia with Italy can opener if Russia is left unbidded.

• @Zhukov44:

@ErwinRommel:

You wont see that bid in the league though…

I played alot of TripleA live and I was quite successful with inf egy ss 35 as my standard bid in dice games.  I’ve also used that bid in most of my ladder games and generally I’ve done well except against the best of the best.

Positive you beat me once with that placement, I go under the handle of DanGer on TripleA.  It was after losing to you that I started experimenting with a sub bid!:)

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Hey Gamerman01,

Just because you said this

Anyway, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anyone try attacking Karelia on G1, and definitely not Karelia and Egypt at the same time….

That’s my current tournament game http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=26615.0

:)  (Ok ok, so I got a bit lucky)

TDJ and I go WAY back, I’ve worked for years to help him with his game.  He didn’t bid to EGY or KAR so I attacked BOTH.  I pushed risks to the max because I wanted a decent game against TDJ. Things have gone well.  I gave him a bid of 9 (even though I had him down to 2 ipc’s) because he wanted a “chance”.  I’m hoping for a tight game, and hoping that he’s improved, because he’s put in the effort!  But only time will tell.

• Not impressed
    Dude is 2-7 in league play in 2011 and 2012 together
    You need to teach him more
    Play me and attack Karelia and Egypt at the same time.

@Gamerman01:

Also, saw that DD attacked Karelia against Lucky on G1 in the tournament.
    I believe he let Z2 and Z12 both go.

He did hit Sz 2 with 2 subs and a ftr.

Yeah it seems like lots of Kar attacks on G1 lately.  Very aggressive.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Not impressed
    Dude is 2-7 in league play in 2011 and 2012 together
    You need to teach him more
    Play me and attack Karelia and Egypt at the same time.

Feel free to start from the same save file! I’m ready.  Lets see how much “better” you are than TDJ.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m