Allied bid placement strategies

• The point is that bid must be placed the same way every time.

• It’s funny to see people coming and saying “there is only one truth”…

I agree that putting one inf in Egypt is very good for a 3ipc investment. But after that… I believe there are plenty of options. And to my mind putting the rest of your bid to Russia is very far away from being mandatory…

I can ensure you that putting a sub in sz35 is not a bad idea. That can really slow down Japan, and increase your options early on.

Of course, if axis roll perfectly on round 1 the game is almost decided… but this is the case whatever the bid is ; the point is… what are the odds of that happening ?

Honestly, I still dunno if there is a best strategy for the allies, and I too played a lot of games. I like playing KJF (or better said, I do not enjoy KGF), but nonetheless I already changed my plans to a KGF when I saw that my opponent was anticipating my moves in a way that would cost me the game. There are so many options, and so many early rolling… maybe the only viable strategy is to adapt to dices and opponent strategy :)

• Terrific post, Yoshi -

and I completely agree (for what it’s worth)

• You wont see that bid in the league though…

• I just opened the nine first league thread with a bid at 9 or more (one can assume that you prefer to put the inf in Egypt before thinking on the sub) - this is at the current time the two first pages of the league forum, and two of them used this bid… I think one can see it.

(and I do not claim that the sub bid has to be ; just saying that’s an option, and not a bad one).

• '16 '15 '10

@ErwinRommel:

You wont see that bid in the league though…

I played alot of TripleA live and I was quite successful with inf egy ss 35 as my standard bid in dice games.  I’ve also used that bid in most of my ladder games and generally I’ve done well except against the best of the best.

I’m not so high on the ss 35 any more because opponents have learned how to react/counter it.  And that’s perfectly natural–placement bids ought to change up as people get used to countering them.  Then we get new placements as players try to innovate and create new strategies.

However if one’s opponent doesn’t know exactly how to deal with the ss in 35 then sometimes it’s better than bidding the 6 to Russia.  Particularly in dice games, that ss can have a decisive impact, because it usually forces Japan to take some additional risks J1, opening up the possibility of “cascade dice failure”.

All your previous post demonstrated was that Allies are taking a risk if they don’t bid to Egy.  Nothing was established about bidding to Russia.  Don’t get me wrong–bidding land units to Russia is a good bid, and very reasonable considering how many NOs are at stake in Eastern Europe.  It’s just not the only bid.

• Well a subs is as good as it gets if you dont want to bid russia at all. In low luck your destined to loose, but in dice it can preform ok. But id rather preasure Germany and not Japan as Germany can alone take russia with Italy can opener if Russia is left unbidded.

• @Zhukov44:

@ErwinRommel:

You wont see that bid in the league though…

I played alot of TripleA live and I was quite successful with inf egy ss 35 as my standard bid in dice games.  I’ve also used that bid in most of my ladder games and generally I’ve done well except against the best of the best.

Positive you beat me once with that placement, I go under the handle of DanGer on TripleA.  It was after losing to you that I started experimenting with a sub bid!:)

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Hey Gamerman01,

Just because you said this

Anyway, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anyone try attacking Karelia on G1, and definitely not Karelia and Egypt at the same time….

That’s my current tournament game http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=26615.0

:)  (Ok ok, so I got a bit lucky)

TDJ and I go WAY back, I’ve worked for years to help him with his game.  He didn’t bid to EGY or KAR so I attacked BOTH.  I pushed risks to the max because I wanted a decent game against TDJ. Things have gone well.  I gave him a bid of 9 (even though I had him down to 2 ipc’s) because he wanted a “chance”.  I’m hoping for a tight game, and hoping that he’s improved, because he’s put in the effort!  But only time will tell.

• Not impressed
    Dude is 2-7 in league play in 2011 and 2012 together
    You need to teach him more
    Play me and attack Karelia and Egypt at the same time.

@Gamerman01:

Also, saw that DD attacked Karelia against Lucky on G1 in the tournament.
    I believe he let Z2 and Z12 both go.

He did hit Sz 2 with 2 subs and a ftr.

Yeah it seems like lots of Kar attacks on G1 lately.  Very aggressive.

Not impressed
    Dude is 2-7 in league play in 2011 and 2012 together
    You need to teach him more
    Play me and attack Karelia and Egypt at the same time.

Feel free to start from the same save file! I’m ready.  Lets see how much “better” you are than TDJ.

• You mean after you got lucky and put the moves on TDJ?
    No, I meant start over.  Show me you have the balls to do those attacks when you’re across the table from me, and know that you can’t easily catch up if you get unlucky.

Oh I see how it is, you’re AFRAID of a handful of good dice on a G1.

Ok, :) NO PROBLEM.

We will just have to play a game once I’m done with one my current games (Djensen, TDJ, Canuck12).  Cool?

That said, is it not FAIR of a player, to tune his strategy to his opponents capabilities and tactics?  For instance, no bid units were put in Karelia or Egypt? You would probably have put units there, denying the avenue of attack, so would have I.

Yes, I will admit that the opener involved some gambles, (who’s risk was mitigated by opposing players skill level), and I trusted my GUT, and went in.  It paid off - Big deal. :)  You said you’d “never seen anyone attack Karelia and Egypt on G1.”  Now you have, and in a game that counts; Thus no matter what happens for the rest of your life, you’ve seen it, and I provided the oppurtunity for you.

What’s un-impressive here, is your unwillingness to roll up your sleeves, and test yourself against a ridiculous gamble that paid off, and could have put any player in a situation of disadvantage before they have even moved a piece.

Gambling is part of Axis and Allies, and there isn’t a player I’ve played on aa.org that hasn’t suffered from some of the more ridiculous risks I’ve taken, it’s how I play.  It’s too bad you don’t appreciate it :)

Tell you what Gamerman01.

I’ll take on another gamble, here’s my offer.

You take over for the Axis using the save file from my TDJ game, you know - the one you’re afraid to play against, and I respond as the Allies.

We’ll see who comes out on-top.

You got game now?

• You are so full of crap.
    You admit you gambled because you weren’t afraid of your opponent. This is why I said you should try it against me. I would gladly agree not to put bid units in Egypt.
    The whole point of making you start over, was to make you prove that you would try it against me.
    You say I’m “afraid” to start with a different game’s save file. Nothing more than a school-boy bully-boy tactic, to accuse someone of being afraid so that they will do what you wish. I don’t have time for you Gargantua, but I always have time to play a game of Axis and Allies to prove a point.
    One such point was an embarassment of Funcioneta, after he insisted it was a big “double error” to not attack Egypt and/or Yunnan on the first round. So I deliberately avoided both of those attacks and smashed him. He gave up in round 5.

I went 12-1 in the league in 2011 and am playing for the championship for the year now.
    TDJ went 2-3 last year and dJensen is 1-4 this year. PGMatt beat you out of the tournament in 2011, and he ranks dead last in the 2011 league at 2-11. I’ve played him 3 times and every time he gave up between 5 and 10 rounds.  I really can’t imagine losing a game to him.

Seems to me that you must suck really bad. Changed my mind - I don’t have time to play you even to prove a point.

PGMatt beat you out of the tournament in 2011, and he ranks dead last in the 2011 league at 2-11. I’ve played him 3 times and every time he gave up between 5 and 10 rounds.  I really can’t imagine losing a game to him.

Take a look at the game thread.

I didn’t “lose” to PGmatt,  I was unable to post turns, due to personal time constraints, so I resigned.  Infact I don’t even think it went 2 turns.  I can dig up the URL if you like.

I’ve seen you defeated by players I’ve crushed in real life (Eskimo Jack), you are no better a player than I or anyone else.  The only way to settle this is by grudge match.

Seems to me that you must suck really bad. Changed my mind - I don’t have time to play you even to prove a point.

Seems to me you’re wrong.  LOL, ask anyone at aa.org who’s ever played me about what they think.  I’ve gone the distance with almost everyone who’s anyone here.  I guess now is our time.

If I suck so bad, then what’s the problem finishing a fight that should be nothing for an “ace” like you?

Drops the glove

Straight up - I’m calling you out as a coward if you don’t accept. It’s nothing but LAME, if you hide this challenge out.

Thus, via TripleA, pick your version, pick your bid (if applicable), And lets go!0  If not, then cork it, because you’ll have made it clear to everyone here that you don’t have what it takes, when it matters, over what matters most to us aa.org folk, Axis and Allies.

You’re not unstoppable, I’ve watched you lose HARD; and I dare you to play someone who can beat you, and that person is me.

• Forgot about the situation with PGMatt - you’re right.  You should know - you played the game.

Have never played “Eskimo Jack” nor heard of him, so something’s wrong there.

Never said I don’t lose or that I’m dominant.
    I do know I win a lot (over 80% of the time), and obviously you resent that.

Silly, because this all started with me saying I haven’t seen anyone attack Karelia and Egypt at the same time (a simple statement of fact).  You came along and said you had (another simple statement of fact).  But then you turned this into some kind of personal vendetta (no surprise, going by your rather random provocative statements that you like to make on this and that thread).

Talk smack all you want - that’s all it is.  I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve “lost hard”.  Since you name “Eskimo Jack” who I’ve never heard of, I question whether you know what you’re talking about.

Btw I don’t play TripleA.

Drop all the gloves you want, but if you play me you will not get an easy win.
    Your best skill is your ability to incite others to reactions.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m