The Future of Axis & Allies.org is now uncertain

• I am a resident of the great state of Nevada.

Feel free to PM me if you need anything.

• '10

@CWO:

If moving the company to another state would solve the legislation problem, and if this can be done without too many complications, that’s probably the best option since it would allow the site to carry on with its activities without any fundamental change to its financial infrastructure.

I really think this is a better option.  If there is anything I can do, PLEASE feel free to e-mail and discuss.

Can I  recommend updating the PATRON SUPPORT to 2011…  that would generate some short term revenue?

Also, have you considered Google Ads?

• Also, if you pay taxes on revenue generated by the adds, would this difference still be enough to support the site?

• I imagine thats the whole problem….paying taxes in CA eliminates the profit, at least as Amazon sees it.

• '10

Being a resident in California, this is becoming a hot issue.

For now, I wouldn’t really be concerned with the new California law.  The law was intended to collect taxes from big online businesses like Amazon.  California was claiming that big online businesses like Amazon that have no sales tax have an unfair advantage over brick and mortar stores in California and this law was intended to level the playing field.

Under current CA law, if an online store has a physical presence in CA and sells a product that is shipped to a CA address, then CA can collect sales tax on that transaction.

Now Federal law clearly states that one state can not tax an item that comes from another state.  However, what California is trying to claim is that even though Amazon’s physical corporate address is in another state, because they have a partnerships with businesses in California that sell through Amazon, this constitutes a physical presence in the state and therefore CA is claiming it has the right to collect sales tax on those items that are sold in California.  However, there is a lot of debate whether this violates Federal law and/or constitutional.

In the mean time, Amazon decided to ban all California businesses from selling on Amazon.  So, now CA can’t claim any right to collect sales tax and Amazon is giving CA the middle finger.  Needless to say, a lot of CA businesses that sold through Amazon are a bit pissed right now.

Now the only thing I see the A&A is actually selling is T-shirts.  If the A&A web site is listed with a California address, you should be paying sales tax anyway.  (Out of curiosity, what state is this web site listed in?)  Now let say that you’re not in CA but you sell a a T-shirt to me and it’s shipped from a CA address.  CA might claim they have the right to collect sales tax from you.  But if you want to be a prick, you can give the T-shirt away for free but charge $28 for shipping :-D  Sales tax are based on the price of the sale and not shipping.

Now I see the Amazon link at the top of the web site.  As far as I’m concerned, this is advertisement.  Amazon is paying you to advertise on your sight.  You are not involved in the sales transaction.  So I don’t think will affect your revenue.

I also discovered that CA law only requires online stores to collect sales tax if  they have an annual sales of $10,000 or more.

So as I said in the beginning, I wouldn’t be too concern with this new law.  I have a feeling that this will end up going to the Supreme Court.  So sit back and watch the show.

Here’s the link to the law.
    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/asm/ab_0001-0050/abx1_28_bill_20110628_enrolled.pdf

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

When we incorporated it was in Vermont, it’s the easiest most company friendly, or was.  I think Texas is now.

We have the same frazzin law here in Illinois.  But then, this is Illinois….we all know about Illinois!  I’ll add your California peeps to my Illinois Peeps and copy them on the same letters I’m sending.

• Founder TripleA Admin

Amazon’s lawyers must disagree because they no longer offer the program to any resident of California.

@Black:

Being a resident in California, this is becoming a hot issue.

For now, I wouldn’t really be concerned with the new California law.  The law was intended to collect taxes from big online businesses like Amazon.  California was claiming that big online businesses like Amazon that have no sales tax have an unfair advantage over brick and mortar stores in California and this law was intended to level the playing field.

Under current CA law, if an online store has a physical presence in CA and sells a product that is shipped to a CA address, then CA can collect sales tax on that transaction.

Now Federal law clearly states that one state can not tax an item that comes from another state.  However, what California is trying to claim is that even though Amazon’s physical corporate address is in another state, because they have a partnerships with businesses in California that sell through Amazon, this constitutes a physical presence in the state and therefore CA is claiming it has the right to collect sales tax on those items that are sold in California.  However, there is a lot of debate whether this violates Federal law and/or constitutional.

In the mean time, Amazon decided to ban all California businesses from selling on Amazon.  So, now CA can’t claim any right to collect sales tax and Amazon is giving CA the middle finger.  Needless to say, a lot of CA businesses that sold through Amazon are a bit pissed right now.

Now the only thing I see the A&A is actually selling is T-shirts.  If the A&A web site is listed with a California address, you should be paying sales tax anyway.  (Out of curiosity, what state is this web site listed in?)  Now let say that you’re not in CA but you sell a a T-shirt to me and it’s shipped from a CA address.  CA might claim they have the right to collect sales tax from you.  But if you want to be a prick, you can give the T-shirt away for free but charge $28 for shipping :-D  Sales tax are based on the price of the sale and not shipping.

Now I see the Amazon link at the top of the web site.  As far as I’m concerned, this is advertisement.  Amazon is paying you to advertise on your sight.  You are not involved in the sales transaction.  So I don’t think will affect your revenue.

I also discovered that CA law only requires online stores to collect sales tax if  they have an annual sales of $10,000 or more.

So as I said in the beginning, I wouldn’t be too concern with this new law.  I have a feeling that this will end up going to the Supreme Court.  So sit back and watch the show.

Here’s the link to the law.
    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/asm/ab_0001-0050/abx1_28_bill_20110628_enrolled.pdf

• You’re welcome here in Texas.

I really enjoy the site, you guys do a great job.

• '10

@djensen:

Amazon’s lawyers must disagree because they no longer offer the program to any resident of California.

Djensen

I’m a little confused at what you’re trying to say.  I basically said the same thing

@Black:

In the mean time, Amazon decided to ban all California businesses from selling on Amazon.

• Yesterday I was a little bit concerned about the forums future as the only thing I could see here and on ostracos page was:
    “This site has been suspended … etc. …pp…”  So today Im glad to see its all online again.

Cheers

shinaria

• Ìîæíî ëè òóò ðàçìåùàòü ññûëêè íà ñàéòû ñ ïîäáîðêàìè ñîôòà?   
    íå çàïðåùåííî ëè ýòî ïðàâèëàìè?

• Ìîæíî ëè òóò ðàçìåùàòü ññûëêè íà ñàéòû ñ ïîäáîðêàìè ñîôòà?   
    íå çàïðåùåííî ëè ýòî ïðàâèëàìè?

• bump to get rid of spam post

• You can find good online tutorials for HTML.

If youre having trouble on that, my best bet is for you to hire a developer to guide you through all the way.

P.S. Whyd you decided to buy TE when you dont know how to run it? Im baffled.

• Customizer

Imperious Leader(or whomever),

It sounds to me like it will end up where this site won’t have to pay the taxes mentioned above.

However,…whenever you have your fund-raising for the 2012 season, I’ll be glad to donate $50.00 for a Gold Patron membership.  I get many times that much enjoyment out of this forum and would be glad to give a little back.  Thanks Again.

“Tall Paul”

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m