• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

Sorry, I made a mistake on my date for the roundels, I was thinking when the custom map would be ready.
    Roundels will go on sale Feb 28th.

I am producing Roundels on my website for Axis & Allies and needed to know what Roundels everybody is wanting so that I can get a poll and ideas on what to develop next. Please look at my website and let me know where the holes are and I will look into it. I plan on making the next set pretty quick. The first set goes to the printer Jan 24th and I will start taking order by Feb 28th (CORRECTION) if not sooner!

www.historicalboardgaming.com

• Coach,

I posted in your other thread but I wanted to make sure you saw this and could correct before printing.

Your Spanish set has the wrong Republican roundel - you have the Nationalist version instead. The Republican roundel had a blue/purple center:

• '14

On September 1st, 1939 the nationalists had already won the civil war! This is why the roundel is Nationalist. For the purposes of our Variant this map is dates sept. 1st, 1939.

• Tiger, on the other thread coach and I discussed it and came up with a neat solution:

Keep the portuguese roundels, keep the current red/yellow roundel for the Nationalists, and add the Red/yellow/blue roundel for the republicans.

The black Nationalist X is removed, and now the set can be used both for Spanish Civil War games as well as the 1939 variants

• '14

I misunderstood what you were talking about! I thought you were wanting to change the roundel on the map!

• Oh! I see - no the map is perfect!

• Kingdom (1918-1931)

Republic (up to 1939)

Nationalist (during Civil War)

Spain after Civil War (Kingdom without monarchy ruled by Franco, now kingdom with Franco’s friend Juan Carlos)

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

I am looking into it, Thanks for your feedback……always welcome!

• Customizer

I would love to have pro allied, pro axis, strict neutral roundels that I could use in a special diplomatic phase in which countries could attempt to change the diplomatic stance of a country.

• @Bob_A_Mickelson:

I would love to have pro allied, pro axis, strict neutral roundels that I could use in a special diplomatic phase in which countries could attempt to change the diplomatic stance of a country.

I used a quick, easy and inexpensive method to make myself a bunch of custom roundels along these lines, using the grey mini poker chips that come with A&A games.  (I have large numbers of these from the A&A games I’ve bought over the years.)  Plain grey chips serve as strict neutral roundels.  I created four additional categories (pro-Axis neutral, full-Axis minor country, full-Allied minor country, and pro-Allied neutral) by applying two colours and two sizes of round Avery sticky labels to other grey mini poker chips.

The two colours I used are black and white.  I can’t recall offhand the precise measurements of the two sizes I used, but the small ones fit exactly into the round depresssion in the middle of the chips, and the big ones are a bit smaller than the full diameter of the chips.  The coding system I used is: small black sticker = pro-Axis neutral, large black sticker = full-Axis minor country, large white sticker = full-Allied minor country, and small white sticker = pro-Allied neutral.  Each custom roundel is two-sided: one type has the small black and the large black stickers on opposite sides, while the other type does the same things with the white stickers.  That way, I didn’t have to make as many custom roundels as would have been necessary if I’d kept them one-sided.

• 13th,

The Nationalist “X” roundel was only used for a few aircraft. A better representation is the Spanish Red/Yellow/Red flag, or roundel version.

Nationalist:

Republican

• @reloader-1:

13th,

The Nationalist “X” roundel was only used for a few aircraft. A better representation is the Spanish Red/Yellow/Red flag, or roundel version.

Nationalist:

Republican

Indeed, but the nationalist X is the more iconic version, and the nationalist flag adopted by Franco was near similar to that of the pre-republic kingdom. To avoid confusion the X is better methinks. :-D

• i agree with 13th

• There is no confusion - an exact parallel is the US civil war. The north (union) used the US flag before,during,and after the civil war.

• @reloader-1:

There is no confusion - an exact parallel is the US civil war. The north (union) used the US flag before,during,and after the civil war.

Not an exact parallel.

An exact parallel would be that Franco’s nationalists LOSE the war and Spain continues as a republic.

• Franco considered the Nationalists as the continuation of the kingdom.

So Republicans = Confederacy (new flag)

And Nationalists = Union (Same flag before, during, and after war)

• @reloader-1:

Franco considered the Nationalists as the continuation of the kingdom.

So Republicans = Confederacy (new flag)

And Nationalists = Union (Same flag before, during, and after war)

Confederates tried to break away from the Union.
    Nationalists tried to break away from the Republic (which was at the time the internationally recognized continuation of the kingdom, despite what Franco later claimed).

Still different :-D

• And the Confederacy tried to get international recognition, and almost succeeded in doing so from Britain and France.

My point is that the flag can be used without any confusion, as during the civil war it represents the Nationalists, and during all other times it represents Spain.

Quite simple, really.

• @reloader-1:

And the Confederacy tried to get international recognition, and almost succeeded in doing so from Britain and France.

almost… but not quite :-D

My point is that the flag can be used without any confusion, as during the civil war it represents the Nationalists, and during all other times it represents Spain.

Quite simple, really.

If you put it like that, then yes. Still, for reasons of clear identification, I like the black version/cross because it stands out :-)

• Yeah, I like the black version too because it makes for some differencewith the other roundels, as a lot of them are the tri-color ring roundels…  :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m