Italy takes France with Germany's help

• Question: G1 should Germany soften up France in order to let Italy take it on I1? Italy will probably need to rebuild her navy so with the extra 19 IPC’s and 4 point increase would go along way.

Feedback sought>

• beware of UK moving in men from Normandy and fighters to strengthen up France’s defense before Italy’s attack.

• @cressman8064:

beware of UK moving in men from Normandy and fighters to strengthen up France’s defense before Italy’s attack.

Any planes leaving London only helps Operation Sealion

• @Idi:

Any planes leaving London only helps Operation Sealion

Although without the 23 IPC’s from taking France Germany doesn’t have as much cash for Sealion. And if France survives the Italian attack with the help of UK fighters (5-6 FTR, 1 TAC) then they’ll be building 6 INF for next turn while the UK planes land in London. If Germany’s first attack doesn’t go well this is a real possibility. If Germany moves 2 fighters down to Southern Italy that would help keep the existing Italian fleet alive, instead of needing to rebuild it.

• @Idi:

Question: G1 should Germany soften up France in order to let Italy take it on I1? Italy will probably need to rebuild her navy so with the extra 19 IPC’s and 4 point increase would go along way.

Germany is the major power in europe and Italy should look to help Germany. Taking away 19 Ipc plus potential 4 ipc’s for 5+ turns is a bad idea. Germany should get normandy and France. Italy should get southern France. If the Italian navy is attacked this weakens Britain and allows a stronger sealion. So even though It is considered the norm to attack the Italian fleet some players need time to think about this move. It is an interseting desicion and often It might not be played to protect from the Getman threat of sealion

• '22 '16

In a game i am playing right now i opted to let Italy take Normandy, so they can build navy directly in the Atlantic.  Makes quite a nice 1-2 punch against allied navy.  Of course you have to seal the Med and take Egypt.  Not sure i would do this with a more experienced US player though.  Playing with a first timer as the US in Global.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

In my opinion (whether or not you take it as humble) I believe this is a bad idea.  Further, it is my opinion that Italy should not take any portion of the zones comprising the country of France. (France, S. France or Normandy.)  This should go entirely to Germany.

But Italy needs the income!  yes, yes, I do agree.  However, Italy is more than welcome to take Greece, Yugoslavia and Bulgaria (even getting replacement infantry there) if they need the cash THAT BAD.

Meanwhile, with a free Industrial in the Med for Germany, you gain the preceious ability to directly reinforce the Italian fleet if you need it. (I’ve built a complex in Yugoslavia numerous times because I needed to Reinforce the Italians.  Now I had to pay 12 IPC for the complex, PLUS the warship cost whereas with S. France, I coulda saved the 12 IPC.)

Just my humble opinion on this.

• '20 '19 '18 '16 '15 '11 '10

I just finished setting up for a Alpha+2 Global and it looks like waiting for Italy to take France is a non-starter. Germany is going to need the IPCs money to rebuild the Luftwaffe after what looks to be a certain blood bath in the Atlantic. I’m thinking of letting Italy soften up sothern France for a German kill as a naval base and IC on the Med is appealing.

Italy, in my view, is best used as flank protection, garrision (europe/africa), and shock troops (USSR). Germany will be getting the majority of any resources available.

I agree, and yet more reasons for Germany to take France and leave Italy to take the minors (sorry, Neutrals…spththt, Rise and Decline of the 3rd Reich called the minors…).  This assumes you think Italy needs the cash, I do not really feel as such.  I think with the bonus for the Med, the bonus for France/Gibraltar/something and the bonus for North Africa, Italy is sitting in the pink…assuming you put enough Germans down there to protect their fleet.  Too bad you cannot build an airbase for Yugoslavia on G1 and have 6 fighters over the Italian fleet, no?

• @Cmdr:

I agree, and yet more reasons for Germany to take France and leave Italy to take the minors (sorry, Neutrals…spththt, Rise and Decline of the 3rd Reich called the minors…).  This assumes you think Italy needs the cash, I do not really feel as such.  I think with the bonus for the Med, the bonus for France/Gibraltar/something and the bonus for North Africa, Italy is sitting in the pink…assuming you put enough Germans down there to protect their fleet.  Too bad you cannot build an airbase for Yugoslavia on G1 and have 6 fighters over the Italian fleet, no?

An extra 23 IPC’s buys a lot of treats

Extra 9 IPC for France.  I dont count the plunder.

Anyway, Germany in France, S. France and Normandy - even if you give Italy Greece and Yugoslavia - has got to be a good thing.  Or better, give Normandy to Italy since then you have a German complex in the Med and an Italian one in the Atlantic

• @Cmdr:

In my opinion (whether or not you take it as humble) I believe this is a bad idea.  Further, it is my opinion that Italy should not take any portion of the zones comprising the country of France. (France, S. France or Normandy.)  This should go entirely to Germany.

I agree with this. Germany should take France with Italy’s help. Not vise versa. Besides helping Germany with France, they should focus on the Africa Campaign & holding Gibralter. Africa is where Italy makes it’s $$. Of course, this is just my opinion.

~MadPup~

• I always let Germany control all of France. Mainly for the reason that Germany will then have a Naval base in the Med right off the bat. If Italy needs any help in that department the Nazis can easily come to their aid.

As someone stated before, if Italy is able to take most of their National Objectives then they’re able to handle themselves nicely as long as America doesn’t come storming in guns blazing.

That was precisely my thought, McLovin.  I feel, at this point in time, Germany needs a method to produce warships in the Med.  If one allows Italy to take S. France, this - essentially - means that Germany has to build a complex in Yugoslavia.  This may be a good idea in the long run anyway, making it a little easier to reinforce the south against Russia. (OOB this could be a major complex, Alpha 2 I do not think it can.)

I feel an Airbase would be nice to accompany the complex in Yugoslavia, if you go this route, since then you can put 6 fighters in the air for cover air patrol.  But again, if you have S. France, I think you would not need this. (Little harder since you have to build Italy in one zone and Germany in another instead of combined, but much cheaper.)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m