• @Ruanek:

@-Wolverine-:

If, lets say, Italy captures a territory, may Germany land in its next turn?  Or must the territory be held for an entire round before that can occur?

Yeah, Germany can land there.  The only time planes can’t land there is if it was just taken by that nation that turn (not the entire round).

Very cool, thank you.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

The Chinese can BUILD on newly conquered territories… but, can they land planes on them?

• @Gargantua:

The Chinese can BUILD on newly conquered territories… but, can they land planes on them?

nope.

To elucidate:  Planes require legal landing spaces at the end of the noncombat move phase - this is no different for China.  It is independent of the place unit phase and unaffected by it, other than the exception for a purchased carrier allowing a plane to remain in a seazone at the end of the noncombat move phase.

The placement of units by china doesn’t change how the chinese plane behave - it’s a separate phase.  The plane must still comply with noncombat movement rules.  Chinese placement rules are the exception, and that’s only in the place unit phase.

• As an aside, in AA50 where China and USA go concurrently, even if the USA goes first and takes control of a Chinese territory, the Chinese fighter can still not land on the newly captured territory in the same turn.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Gargantua:

Spanked me more than once because I was not thinking when I posted Chinese combat movements.  Luckily, you can land in Hong Kong or Burma while England is neutral. (Or at least, everyone else does so I do too.  Yes, if everyone else was stabbing themselves in the eye with a knife, I would too.  Okay?)

Just to clarify:

11 Fighters, 8 Tactical Bombers, 2 Strategic Bombers always kill 2 AA Guns on defense, if they have no defending units, right? (Picked large numbers to overwhelm the possibility that all AA Gun shots hit.)  Alpha 3 rules, of course.    They don’t just live because there are no attacking ground forces or anything like that, right?

• if a sz with only a trns is attacked, can you scramble air units to defend it (alpha 2)??? ive always assumed yes but the rules are odd:

"A quick reaction team of no more than 3 defending fighters and/or tactical bombers (strategic bombers can’t scramble) located on islands and coastal territories that have operative air bases can be scrambled to defend against attacks in the adjacent sea zones.Air units can be scrambled to help friendly naval units in adjoining sea zones that have come under attack. "

@thatonekid:

if a sz with only a trns is attacked, can you scramble air units to defend it (alpha 2)??? ive always assumed yes but the rules are odd:

"A quick reaction team of no more than 3 defending fighters and/or tactical bombers (strategic bombers can’t scramble) located on islands and coastal territories that have operative air bases can be scrambled to defend against attacks in the adjacent sea zones.Air units can be scrambled to help friendly naval units in adjoining sea zones that have come under attack. "

Transports are valid targets for attack.  They may only be selected after everything else is dead, but they are included as actual ships for naval battles.  My understanding is that yes, you can scramble fighters to protect “undefended” friendly transports as if they were any other ship.  Same is true for Submarines, etc.  Of course, if the “undefended” transport is being attacked by nothing but submarines, it’s rather a moot issue.

• Official Q&A

@Cmdr:

Just to clarify:

11 Fighters, 8 Tactical Bombers, 2 Strategic Bombers always kill 2 AA Guns on defense, if they have no defending units, right? (Picked large numbers to overwhelm the possibility that all AA Gun shots hit.)  Alpha 3 rules, of course.    They don’t just live because there are no attacking ground forces or anything like that, right?

Yes.  The AA guns fire, then are destroyed.

• @thatonekid:

if a sz with only a trns is attacked, can you scramble air units to defend it (alpha 2)??? ive always assumed yes but the rules are odd:

Yes.
    Actually, you can scramble Ftr (and Tac Bomber for that matter) period… giving the airbase doesn’t have 3 or more hits on it. I mean, you can scramble up to 3 planes per airbase even if the defender doesn’t have any ships at all in the sz where the attack comes from.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Can you scramble to defend a transport even if it’s JUST attacked by a sub?

YES I am aware you cannot hit the sub.  But what if you scramble anyways, so that you move from the territory you are in, to a sea zone?

There is a reason for this.  Say for example a german sub attacks a Russian transport in Sz115.  1 fighter is in Leningrad, about to be blitzed by 8 tanks.  Can I scramble?  And then after said territory is lost?  Land in Vyborg or some other place?

• @Gargantua:

Can you scramble to defend a transport even if it’s JUST attacked by a sub?

YES I am aware you cannot hit the sub.  But what if you scramble anyways, so that you move from the territory you are in, to a sea zone?

There is a reason for this.  Say for example a german sub attacks a Russian transport in Sz115.  1 fighter is in Leningrad, about to be blitzed by 8 tanks.   Can I scramble?  And then after said territory is lost?  Land in Vyborg or some other place?

Per the letter of the rules, yes.  Despite the fact that you couldn’t hit a sub in that instance, you can scramble against any battle (or possibility for a battle).

Obviously, regarding landing, your planes only have one move, so it’s either SZ114, vyborg, baltic states, finland, or a captured sweden.

• Question: Alpha 2 or 3

If UK takes Marianas Islands on turn 2, can a neutral US move to that sea zone on turn 3 since it is no longer a Japanese held island?

• @JamesAleman:

Question: Alpha 2 or 3

If UK takes Marianas Islands on turn 2, can a neutral US move to that sea zone on turn 3 since it is no longer a Japanese held island?

Yes

• Sorry for this question on this thread – I am not sure where the appropriate thread is for this question, but help is appreciated.

I’ve just opened Abattlemap, 0.79 version, and the unit tray is missing. The unit tray is the little box with all the units, control markers and facilities that allows players to add more units to the game board.

Does anyone know how to get it back? Tough to make moves without it!

Thanks!

Cheers

• @Jmite:

Sorry for this question on this thread – I am not sure where the appropriate thread is for this question, but help is appreciated.

I’ve just opened Abattlemap, 0.79 version, and the unit tray is missing. The unit tray is the little box with all the units, control markers and facilities that allows players to add more units to the game board.

Thanks!

Cheers

I copied this from a friends private message to me when I started Abattlemap:

_A quick tutorial on using ABattleMap:

• Navigating is done by holding down the right mouse button and moving the mouse.
    • Placing new units in a territory is done by left clicking on the desired unit in the ToolBar window, and then left clicking in the desired territory. To place 5 units at a time, hold SHIFT. To place 10 units at a time, hold CTRL.
    • Deleting units is done by clicking the middle mouse button on the desired unit, or by changing the mouse function to delete by clicking “DEL” in the upper right corner of the ABattleMap window. To delete 5 units at a time, hold SHIFT. To delete 10 units at a time, hold CTRL. To get back to the default mouse function, click “ESC” in the upper right corner of the ABattleMap window.
    • Moving units from from a territory to another is done by dragging them with the left mouse button. To drag 5 units at a time, hold SHIFT. To drag 10 units at a time, hold CTRL. To drag a whole stack of units, hold CTRL+SHIFT.
    • Undoing a recent action is done by clicking “UNDO” in the upper right corner of the ABattleMap window.
    • Zooming in is done by pressing “+” on the numpad. Zooming out is done by pressing “-” on the numpad.
      *** Recovering the InfoView and ToolBar window after they mysteriously disappeared is done by removing the “ABattleMap.ini” file from your ABattleMap folder (default: C:\Program Files\ABattleMap).**_

@JamesAleman:

@Jmite:

Sorry for this question on this thread – I am not sure where the appropriate thread is for this question, but help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Cheers

I copied this from a friends private message to me when I started Abattlemap:

_A quick tutorial on using ABattleMap:

• Navigating is done by holding down the right mouse button and moving the mouse.
    • Placing new units in a territory is done by left clicking on the desired unit in the ToolBar window, and then left clicking in the desired territory. To place 5 units at a time, hold SHIFT. To place 10 units at a time, hold CTRL.
    • Deleting units is done by clicking the middle mouse button on the desired unit, or by changing the mouse function to delete by clicking “DEL” in the upper right corner of the ABattleMap window. To delete 5 units at a time, hold SHIFT. To delete 10 units at a time, hold CTRL. To get back to the default mouse function, click “ESC” in the upper right corner of the ABattleMap window.
    • Moving units from from a territory to another is done by dragging them with the left mouse button. To drag 5 units at a time, hold SHIFT. To drag 10 units at a time, hold CTRL. To drag a whole stack of units, hold CTRL+SHIFT.
    • Undoing a recent action is done by clicking “UNDO” in the upper right corner of the ABattleMap window.
    • Zooming in is done by pressing “+” on the numpad. Zooming out is done by pressing “-” on the numpad.
      *** Recovering the InfoView and ToolBar window after they mysteriously disappeared is done by removing the “ABattleMap.ini” file from your ABattleMap folder (default: C:\Program Files\ABattleMap).**_

This used to be a HUGE problem back in classic and it was discovered that the trays had a higher chance of disappearing if you put them on the edge of the map.  I prefer the Indian Ocean for mine now, used to be Brazil, but, as I said, edge of the map = problems. (No, I dont know if they fixed it, but I doubt it given the question.)

• Question which may have been asked before, not sure. Suppose my fighter is on a friendly carrier. If that friendly carrier moves 2 spaces in its turn, can I still move my fighter 4 spaces in my turn? The same goed for the other way around. When I land my fighter on a friendly carrier after moving 4 spaces, can the carrier move 2 more in its own turn? This would imply my fighter has moved 6 spaces before my next turn. Thanks

• @Admiral:

Question which may have been asked before, not sure. Suppose my fighter is on a friendly carrier. If that friendly carrier moves 2 spaces in its turn, can I still move my fighter 4 spaces in my turn? The same goed for the other way around. When I land my fighter on a friendly carrier after moving 4 spaces, can the carrier move 2 more in its own turn? This would imply my fighter has moved 6 spaces before my next turn. Thanks

Yes.  your unit movement does not affect other players movement.

• That’s one of the advantages to landing on your ally’s carrier.

Disadvantages include:

1. Plane is cargo if your ally attacks with the carrier.  It takes up landing space preventing your ally from landing his planes on his own carrier, and if he takes his carrier as a casualty, your plane(s) goes down with it.
    2. Gap in switching planes back
      US lands planes on UK carrier.  When the US decides it needs the planes elsewhere (or they attack and are destroyed) then the UK fleet is not as well defended between the USA turn and the UK turn.  Germany goes in between and has a better shot on the fleet, before the UK gets a chance to fly her own planes onto the vacated spots. (AA50 example)  In Alpha3 the US and UK go back to back!!?? but between UK and US, Germany and Japan go.  You get the idea.

So yes, you can effectively move a fighter 6 spaces in a game round using allied carriers, but not without some potential disadvantages!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m