• Question:

Turn 2: Japan declares war on the United states, attacks their fleet in sea zone 47 (coast of New Guinea).
    The United States is now no longer neutral, however, UK and Anzac have not declared war yet and are neutral, can I land surviving air units in z47 onto New Guinea?

The US can not normally land in New Guinea because they are a neutral power normally on turn 2. Since the war status is immediate, can I land survivors on New Guinea?

Or are the UK and Anzac considered neutrals, and as such, the US is not allowed to land in a neutral territory?

The only work around I see, is for India and Anzac to declare war on turn 1.

What if it was turn 3 when Japan attacks-UK/Anzac Neutral, and the territory was Dutch New Guinea sea zone 45?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

New Guinea is dutch.  Holland is not an ally of Japan, so no.  You can take it, however. (Still cannot land there, due to just taking it this round.)

• Official Q&A

Being at war, the US can land surviving air units in UK, ANZAC, or Dutch territories.  UK and ANZAC are not neutral, as they are at war with Germany and Italy, so they do not suffer the restrictions of neutral powers.

• @Cmdr:

New Guinea is dutch.  Holland is not an ally of Japan, so no.  You can take it, however. (Still cannot land there, due to just taking it this round.)

Actually, US cannot take Dutch possessions unless “liberating” them from Japan then they can own them I believe. Dutch territories are allied spaces, like French Indo China is, or any Pro-allied neutral that survives a failed axis attack(Yugoslavia or Greece for example). Any ally can land there non combat if I understand correctly.

There is a special rule for UK/Anzac to “take” their Dutch allies IPCs as there own through a “special” rulebook defined “non-combat” move. Allied planes can land on Dutch zones, while they are still Dutch as well I believe.

Thanks Kevin and Jen, I was just checking for a new idea I had. My crazy ideas are now available for review in the play by forum and tournament threads.

• '12

Soviet/Japanese Non Aggression Pact:
    If the Japanese attack any Soviet territory that is adjacent to any Mongolian territory, all Mongolian territories (Olgiy, Dzavhan, Tsagaan-Olom, Central Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar, and Buyant-Uhaa) are placed under the control of the Soviet Union at the end of the Japanese Combat Move phase, in the same manner as though the Soviet Union had moved land units into a friendly neutral territory. These territories have Soviet control markers placed on them, and their standing army units are placed on the board and are controlled by the Soviet Union player from then on. This occurs regardless of the state of relations between the Soviet Union and Japan at the time of the attack, with one exception. If the Soviet Union attacks any Japanese-controlled territory bordering these Mongolian territories while Mongolia is still neutral, Mongolia will remain neutral and not ally itself with the Soviet Union.

I’m slightly confused by this.  I think it is meant to say that if Russia attacks Japan in the bordering territories first, Mongolia will not activate in the game at all.  But then there is that “regardless of the state of relations between the Soviet Union and Japan at the time of the attack” bit, which can be interpreted to mean that Japan can retake its lost territories, but pushing into Russia will still activate Mongolia, even if Russia attacked first.

Or…does it mean if the Russians attack Japan first, but not near Mongolia, that Mongolia will still activate if Japan counter attacks in one of the Russian territories next to Mongolia?

@JamesAleman:

@Cmdr:

New Guinea is dutch.  Holland is not an ally of Japan, so no.  You can take it, however. (Still cannot land there, due to just taking it this round.)

Actually, US cannot take Dutch possessions unless “liberating” them from Japan then they can own them I believe. Dutch territories are allied spaces, like French Indo China is, or any Pro-allied neutral that survives a failed axis attack(Yugoslavia or Greece for example). Any ally can land there non combat if I understand correctly.

There is a special rule for UK/Anzac to “take” their Dutch allies IPCs as there own through a “special” rulebook defined “non-combat” move. Allied planes can land on Dutch zones, while they are still Dutch as well I believe.

Thanks Kevin and Jen, I was just checking for a new idea I had. My crazy ideas are now available for review in the play by forum and tournament threads.

Little hard since your game is over. lol

• Official Q&A

@moralecheck:

Or…does it mean if the Russians attack Japan first, but not near Mongolia, that Mongolia will still activate if Japan counter attacks in one of the Russian territories next to Mongolia?

That’s what it means.

• '12

Perfect thanks.  So if Russia attacks Japan from a territory border mongolia, then mongolia will not activate at all, even if Japan pushes back into Russia.

• Can Japan build a major IC in Chinese territory they originally controlled at the start of the game?

• Just found this…

@Krieghund:

Territories with Chinese symbols printed on them are original Chinese territories, so Japan may not build major ICs on them.

@Tyzoq:

Can Japan build a major IC in Chinese territory they originally controlled at the start of the game?

No, as you found.  Japan can ONLY build a major complex in Korea or upgrade the complex in Japan to a major complex should they liberate their homeland.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

It is my understanding that you cannot load your transport if it starts in a sea zone with enemy ships.

Does that include SUBS?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Also,

Can you ATTACK your own pro-blank neutrals?  And yes there is a reason to do this and it’s important…

• Hello.

I have i doubt in alpha 3.

Can i build a major IC in Manchuria or Kwandi (Shangai) as Japan? In the continental china where can japan build an Major IC? Only in Korea? I´m continuing a game this afternoon and the japan player did that, and i´m not sure if it is legal or nor in alpha 3.
    Thanks

@Gargantua:

It is my understanding that you cannot load your transport if it starts in a sea zone with enemy ships.

Does that include SUBS?

Transports and submarines can be ignored.  So, as much as Gamerman hates it when I say this, I THINK submarines don’t block transport loading/offloading and only effect movement if the transport ends its turn in the sea zone without surface warships to protect it.

@Gargantua:

Also,

Can you ATTACK your own pro-blank neutrals?  And yes there is a reason to do this and it’s important…

The instant your forces move in, they surrender.

@diogom:

Hello.

I have i doubt in alpha 3.

Can i build a major IC in Manchuria or Kwandi (Shangai) as Japan? In the continental china where can japan build an Major IC? Only in Korea? I´m continuing a game this afternoon and the japan player did that, and i´m not sure if it is legal or nor in alpha 3.
    Thanks

As I said above, Japan can ONLY build a new major complex in Korea.

• My doubt is because of this frase in bold from the alpha 3.

Industrial Complexes:
    Major industrial complexes can only be built on originally controlled territories (this includes upgrading minor ones). Likewise they may not be upgraded when captured. Major industrial complexes are reduced to minor when captured. The original owner of the territory may upgrade it if the territory is recaptured.

Originally controled… not owned! japan originaly control manchuria…

• Subs block offloading if transports are alone (without surface warship). If surface warship present, in “offload” sea zone, then subs are ignored and transports can offload.

Transports can load in a ennemy sea zone only if they start in that zone and only if the “moving player” declared war in that (his) specific turn. I was surprised, but that was once played against me. Otherwise I think they are blocked, but official answer would be nice.

I don’t think you can attack your pro-neutral. The only reason I see for this is because you want to blitz thru…. or move in during combat moves so other units (like MInf) can drive thru during non-combat moves. I was once told by Krieghund that you can’t blitz thru. So I guess there’s no way you can actually attack (move during combat move).

• Official Q&A

@diogom:

“Controlled” and “owned” are the same thing.

@BigBadBruce:

Subs block offloading if transports are alone (without surface warship). If surface warship present, in “offload” sea zone, then subs are ignored and transports can offload.

Subs only block offloading for amphibious assaults. They never block offloading into friendly or friendly neutral territories.

@BigBadBruce:

Transports can load in a ennemy sea zone only if they start in that zone and only if the “moving player” declared war in that (his) specific turn. I was surprised, but that was once played against me.

Correct, except this should say “hostile sea zone” rather than “enemy sea zone”.  Enemy subs and/or transports don’t make a sea zone hostile.

@BigBadBruce:

I don’t think you can attack your pro-neutral.

Correct.

@diogom:

My doubt is because of this frase in bold from the alpha 3.

Industrial Complexes:
    Major industrial complexes can only be built on originally controlled territories (this includes upgrading minor ones). Likewise they may not be upgraded when captured. Major industrial complexes are reduced to minor when captured. The original owner of the territory may upgrade it if the territory is recaptured.

No, we have been informed that Chinese territories that Japan begins the game in control over do NOT satisfy the originally owned territories restrictions on major complexes.  It literally has to be a territory you OWN, not one that is conquered.  Think of it this way:  If the territory can only be liberated, then you do not own it, you conquered it. (Assuming friendly capitol is not under enemy control.)  KSU, MAN, etc can ONLY be liberated, it can never be taken by the British, Australians, French, Russians or Americans.

• @moralecheck:

Perfect thanks.  So if Russia attacks Japan from a territory border mongolia, then mongolia will not activate at all, even if Japan pushes back into Russia.

Except if when Japan pushes back into Russia that includes a territory next to Mongolia.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m