• I have a question about the American NO’s.  I know it states “when at war” but (this did happen in our game last Saturday) the US is at war with Ger, and Italy, but Not Japan.  the 5 IPC bonus for the Phillippines and 5 IPC bonus for controll of Hawaii, Alaska, Aleutian Islands, Line Islands, and Johnston Island do not seem to apply to the US when at war only in the Atlantic as these are located completely in the Pacific.  Was this intentional,or was it an oversight?

• @F4U:

I have a question about the American NO’s.  I know it states “when at war” but (this did happen in our game last Saturday) the US is at war with Ger, and Italy, but Not Japan.  the 5 IPC bonus for the Phillippines and 5 IPC bonus for controll of Hawaii, Alaska, Aleutian Islands, Line Islands, and Johnston Island do not seem to apply to the US when at war only in the Atlantic as these are located completely in the Pacific.  Was this intentional,or was it an oversight?

Corsair, you must be missing the fact that that USA can declare war on all Axis powers as soon as she is at war with any one of them.  There is no reason the USA player would refrain from doing this, so you should always be able to get all NO’s with America or none.

• Thanks for the quick response, and yes I did miss that one.  The guy playing the US in our game was a newbie so he didn’t even think to ask about it either.  I was happy that he didn’t attack Japan though as I was Japan.  It does still bring up a possibility that for some reason the US would not want to attack Japan, but I think that would be too rare to worry about.

• Alright so this is what just happened in one of our games, and we’re PRETTY sure we got it right, but here’s what happened.

Japan attacked the Hawaiian Islands sea zone with 3 carriers loaded with 4 fighters and 2 tactical bombers, a destroyer, and a cruiser. He had intent of launching an amphibious assault.

America defended with 3 scrambled tactical bombers, 2 destroyers, and 7 subs.

America ended up taking out the Japanese destroyer and cruiser (among other things, but those exact casaulties aren’t relevanT) and America took the tacs and destroyers as casaulties.

So the situation we had was, the Japanese fighters couldn’t attack the American subs due to the lack of a destroyer.

All that remained in the sea zone was Japanese aircraft, carriers, and transports and American subs.

My dad, playing as Japan, argued that since subs cannot launch sneak attacks at transports anymore, he could launch the amphibious assault.

My position as well as my friend’s, playing as America, was that the Japanese couldn’t kill the remaining American units, but couldn’t simply ignore them and launch their assault because the American units could still fire back, and the only Japanese option was to retreat.

We ended up going with the latter.

What is the official ruling on this situation?

• @kdfsjljklgjfg:

Alright so this is what just happened in one of our games, and we’re PRETTY sure we got it right, but here’s what happened.

Japan attacked the Hawaiian Islands sea zone with 3 carriers loaded with 4 fighters and 2 tactical bombers, a destroyer, and a cruiser. He had intent of launching an amphibious assault.

America defended with 3 scrambled tactical bombers, 2 destroyers, and 7 subs.

America ended up taking out the Japanese destroyer and cruiser (among other things, but those exact casaulties aren’t relevanT) and America took the tacs and destroyers as casaulties.

So the situation we had was, the Japanese fighters couldn’t attack the American subs due to the lack of a destroyer.

All that remained in the sea zone was Japanese aircraft, carriers, and transports and American subs.

My dad, playing as Japan, argued that since subs cannot launch sneak attacks at transports anymore, he could launch the amphibious assault.

My position as well as my friend’s, playing as America, was that the Japanese couldn’t kill the remaining American units, but couldn’t simply ignore them and launch their assault because the American units could still fire back, and the only Japanese option was to retreat.

We ended up going with the latter.

What is the official ruling on this situation?

Dad’s wrong.  Retreat or everything dies except air.  The subs are not going to leave the transports alone, and the subs are now invincible!  You can only ignore subs and transports in the MOVEMENT phases, not when you are locked in mortal combat.

Actually, with carriers attacking at 0 now, even if you had transports and carriers and air against subs all you can do is retreat because nothing can attack the subs…  Gotta keep a destroyer, pops!

• Official Q&A

The USA gets all of its NOs when at war with any Axis power.

• @Krieghund:

Thanks Krieghund, for clearing that up for me. :-)

• I have a question:

From sz 91 i attacked a german cruiser with english navy in sz 104 and free the sea zone.

During NCM a transport can move through sz 104 free from enemy ships to unload in London? Can i move also a warship which doesn’t fight during the Combat phase?

• Sponsor

During the repair phase, can a damaged capital ship use 1 movement point to move into a naval base, get repaired, and than in the combat phase of the same turn, use a second movement point to move into a battle?

• Sponsor

@Krieghund:

Does the U.S receive their NOs for being at war the same collect income phase in which they are declaring war?

• @Stefano1189:

I have a question:

From sz 91 i attacked a german cruiser with english navy in sz 104 and free the sea zone.

During NCM a transport can move through sz 104 free from enemy ships to unload in London?

Moving into territory not owned by yourself or a friendly nation must be done during a combat move.

Can i move also a warship which doesn’t fight during the Combat phase?

Pretty sure you can, but don’t quote me on that. Generally I always save it for non-combat anyway to see how my battles comes out before I know how I want to move things.

• @Stefano1189:

I have a question:

During NCM a transport can move through sz 104 free from enemy ships to unload in London?

If London is controlled by the Axis already, then yes.

Can i move also a warship which doesn’t fight during the Combat phase?

Sure, you can move anything in the noncombat phase that hasn’t already moved.  As long as your ship doesn’t move into a zone with enemy surface warships you can move it.

• @Trisdin:

During the repair phase, can a damaged capital ship use 1 movement point to move into a naval base, get repaired, and than in the combat phase of the same turn, use a second movement point to move into a battle?

No, there is no moving outside the combat movement and noncombat movement phases.

• @Trisdin:

@Krieghund:

Does the U.S receive their NOs for being at war the same collect income phase in which they are declaring war?

Re-read the last paragraph under “The United States” on page 10 of the Europe 1940 manual.

• Sponsor

@gamerman01:

@Trisdin:

@Krieghund:

Re-read the last paragraph under “The United States” on page 10 of the Europe 1940 manual.

OPPS! Sorry about that.

• No worries - just glad I could help.

• No my question is the following statement:

in Sz 91 we have 1 transport, 1 AC, 1 destroyer, 1 cruiser of english navy. in Sz 104 we have a german cruiser. During combat move phase english warships attack german cruiser and sunk it. In Sz 91 remain AC and the transport.

During NCM, the transport and the AC can move through the hostile sea zone 104 and go to the sea zone 109 free of enemy ships?

In my opinion the enemy blockade does effects only during the combat move phase but can be bypassed during NCM if there isn’t any more warships further.

• Official Q&A

@Stefano1189:

During NCM, the transport and the AC can move through the hostile sea zone 104 and go to the sea zone 109 free of enemy ships?

Yes, as it is no longer hostile.

• Sponsor

If a fighter scrambles and commits itself to the defense of an adjacent sea zone, is it unable to retreat like all other defending units?

• Official Q&A

It may not retreat.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m