• @calvinhobbesliker:

If a US carrier with a British fighter attacks and is damaged, the UK ftr is trapped. Does this mean the fighter cannot defend the sea zone if it is attacked?

Yes it does.  The fighter is trapped until the carrier is repaired.

• Fighter can’t attack per rule on page 29, 1st paragraph

• @BadSpeller:

Fighter can’t attack per rule on page 29, 1st paragraph

I know, but a CV with an allied fighter can still attack.

• Calvin, your question was about the fighter.

Why do you bring up “but a CV with an allied fighter can still attack”?

• @BadSpeller:

Calvin, your question was about the fighter.

Why do you bring up “but a CV with an allied fighter can still attack”?

My question was not whether a fighter trapped on a carrier can attack, but if it can DEFEND

• Correct, it is stuck. It can neither attack or defend, as per the rulebook on page 29, 1st paragraph.

• @BadSpeller:

Correct, it is stuck. It can neither attack or defend, as per the rulebook on page 29, 1st paragraph.

Okay

• Oh, I see. My bad, I typed the word ‘attack’ in my statement.

I meant to type ‘attack or defend’.

• If the allies get a sub into the Med Sea does that take away the NO bonus for Italy?

Thanks

• @Frank:

If the allies get a sub into the Med Sea does that take away the NO bonus for Italy?

Thanks

No. It has to be a destroyer, cruiser, carrier, or battleship.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@Frank:

If the allies get a sub into the Med Sea does that take away the NO bonus for Italy?

Thanks

No. It has to be a destroyer, cruiser, carrier, or battleship.

I concur.  Surface warships only.

• Thank you guys

• @hobo:

Is there still no official ruling on USSR entering “European” allied territory when at war with Japan?

Japan and Germany are not allied at the start of the game are they?  USSR declaring war with Japan does not force them to declare war on Germany.

UK starts off at war with Germany/Italy, but USSR does not and cannot provoke war with the European Axis until turn 4.  UK is not allied with USSR at the start of the game.  Just because USSR declares war with Japan, which is at peace with UK, doesn’t automatically ally USSR with UK.  Why would USSR be able to move ANY units into UK when they are not allied?

My suspicion is that in this game, declaring war against an Axis power makes you an Allied power, and vice versa: very much like the ‘polarizing’ mechanic for neutral countries.

So I believe that, for example, USSR planes could land on UK territory, since both are at war with an Axis power.

The questions that urgently need to be answered are (1) whether or not USSR units would participate in the defence of a UK territory against the Germans (their sea units don’t when UK units are attacked by the Germans in the same sea zone), and if so (2) would such a battle constitute a declaration of war against the USSR by Germany, or would it be diplomatically inconsequential?

The answers to these queries will have serious ramifications for early game Allied strategy, and should be clarified A.S.A.P.!

• @Make_It_Round:

@hobo:

Is there still no official ruling on USSR entering “European” allied territory when at war with Japan?

Japan and Germany are not allied at the start of the game are they?  USSR declaring war with Japan does not force them to declare war on Germany.

UK starts off at war with Germany/Italy, but USSR does not and cannot provoke war with the European Axis until turn 4.  UK is not allied with USSR at the start of the game.  Just because USSR declares war with Japan, which is at peace with UK, doesn’t automatically ally USSR with UK.  Why would USSR be able to move ANY units into UK when they are not allied?

my suspicion is that in this game, declaring war against an Axis power makes you an Allied power, and vice versa: very much like the ‘polarizing’ mechanic for neutral countries.

So I believe that, for example, USSR planes could land on UK territory, since both are at war with an Axis power.

The questions that urgently need to be answered are (1) whether or not USSR units would participate in the defence of a UK territory against the Germans (their sea units don’t when UK units are attacked by the Germans in the same sea zone), and if so (2) would such a battle constitute a declaration of war against the USSR by Germany, or would it be diplomatically inconsequential?

The answers to these queries will have serious ramifications for early game Allied strategy, and should be clarified A.S.A.P.!

Currently, I believe Kreighund has confirmed that once Russia is at war with Japan, AND the UK is ALSO at war with Japan, they are allowed to share spaces.  In order to share a friendly space, you must share a state of war with at least one power.  So no, I don’t believe the USSR can attack Japan and immediately move into UK spaces.  If, however, the UK declared war on Japan (as it is allowed to do), both the Soviets and the Brits can share a space, even in London.  Personally, I don’t think this is a good rule, and I hope it’s revised such that the USSR isn’t permitted to share any space in the european theatre until it’s at war in that theatre (including neutrals).  It strikes me as odd that a british unit moving into China is a declaration of war, while if the USSR attacks Japan (and the UK is at war with Japan), that Russia can move units into British Territories, yet somehow Germany wouldn’t see this as an aggressive action that somehow might threaten the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, which in 1940 Stalin was still somewhat interested in maintaining for at least a little while longer.

It has been also confirmed by Kreighund that you cannot attack a space containing any units that you’re not at war with, without a declaration of war against that power.  If a UK territory has russian units in it, Germany must declare war on Russia at the beginning of its combat movement in order to attack that territory.  Unlike seazones, all units in a territory WILL defend, or else you cannot attack them.

• Actually, if both UK and Russia are at war(not necessarily with the same power) they can share territory.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Actually, if both UK and Russia are at war(not necessarily with the same power) they can share territory.

Right, that’s what I thought.

So: if Germany wants to attack a UK territory with a neutral USSR unit in it, must Germany declare war on Russia before it can do so?

• @Make_It_Round:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Actually, if both UK and Russia are at war(not necessarily with the same power) they can share territory.

Right, that’s what I thought.

So: if Germany wants to attack a UK territory with a neutral USSR unit in it, must Germany declare war on Russia before it can do so?

Yes

• I agree with you, Round, that it is absurd that Russia can join the UK on the Europe side of the board when it is not at war with Germany or Italy.  I have campaigned Krieghund and posted publicly on this board that this needs to be changed in the official FAQ.

It appears you would “sign my petition” that the USSR and UK should not be allowed to share territories until the USSR is at war with Euro Axis.  As you said, this has a lot of ramifications.  If UK planes are not allowed to land in Russian controlled territories, and Russians are not allowed to join the Allies in places such as Egypt or London (forcing a DOW if Euro Axis wishes to attack any of these locations), it changes the game significantly.

Until the FAQ comes out, I am just asking my opponents to agree to this rule.  That UK/USA and USSR may not share a land territory until USSR is at war with Germany/Italy.  It only makes sense, and it really should have been this way in the original rulebook.

• this seems like a common sense, USSR and UK arent allied till they are at war with the same power

• In which Sea zones (next to Europe) the US can’t stay during non war state? 103 - 108 and 118?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m