• So like everyone else here, I’ve been enjoying the hell out of the new political rules and Axis and Allies wonderland that is AAG40.  It is turning out to be one hell of a game, with umpteen zillion different strategies and maneuvers to be tried out yet.  I haven’t had a chance to try out this particular idea yet, but it seems like it might really be something worth trying, especially for:

Helping out Italy in the Middle East
    Opening a second front in Russia
    Widening a corridor to India
    Holding Gibraltar to protect the Med

Run a standard opening G1 ploy for a Sealion attack (1 DD, 1 SS, 1 CV built), all UK navy round England destroyed, etc., but take out N/B on the first round as well as France, though.  Take Yugoslavia.  Align Finland and Bulgaria (you will need the 4 inf from Bulgaria).  Stack your troops in position to attack Greece the next round, and make sure you reinforce Finland using your G1 transport (inf/art).

On G2, build 6 inf for N/B + France, a minor IC for Yugoslavia (maybe, if you feel like getting the Cairo NO later on), and whatever else you feel like (navy, air, you’ve got 68 IPCs!)  Send your fleet out into the Atlantic to prevent England from fleet buys around the UK, take Greece with maximum forces (you will need at least 6 units left), and position your armor from France so that some will be capable of reaching Spain from N/B or sending east (W. Germany should work fine, put some in Bulgaria if they reach as well.)  Drop some more inf/art off in Finland, and make sure your air force is centralized so its capable of hitting multiple targets (again, W. Germany or Yugoslavia).

G3, CRUSH THE TRUE NEUTRALS!!!  Show that ungrateful Franco what he deserves for declaring neutrality after sending him so much help during his Civil War!  Split your forces accordingly and go after Spain, Turkey, and Sweden!  They will only have infantry and should at most inflict only superficial casaulties (well maybe not with Turkey, but with plenty of air it should keel over quickly).  You might want to declare war on the SU as well if the border territories are empty (and also to kill the Soviet BB in the Baltic).

PROS

You can send tanks into the Middle East now!  You can even threaten India to the East, and attack Russia from the south!  You can constantly build infantry in France and send a 10 man stack into Gibraltar and keep the Allies from sending navy into the Med!  Italy can land troops against Russia from the Black Sea!  You also gain 7 IPCs from those troublesome meddling neutrals!

CONS

ALL the other True Neutrals on the map become Pro-Allied!  The US gains +4 IPCs and troops from S. America, the Brits gain a few from Africa/Saudi Arabia/Afganistan, and Mongolia will either become Russian or Chinese!  Your tanks are not where they need to be to threaten Russia!  Russia can also attack you through Turkey now!

Overall though, I think it might be worth it.  Russia will have some extra steam from not really being attacked by Germany until round 4, but then Russia will be making less IPCs than Germany will, esp with the neutral money factored in.  They will also have more fronts to cover.  Germany will also have more fronts to cover as well, especially Spain, but the advantage of sending troops overland across France will offset the need for Germany/Italy to buy transports/compete navally with the Allies to try to reinforce Gibraltar for blocking.

I’m thinking if the Axis can hold Spain/Gibraltar for a few turns, that’s plenty of time to screw up the Middle East, open the way into Africa for Italy, and possibly threaten India if necessary.

• You forgot that Britain activates 4 inf in Africa

• @calvinhobbesliker:

You forgot that Britain activates 4 inf in Africa

4 Inf in Africa, 2 Inf in Saudi Arabia, and 2 inf from Afganistan!  Quite a gamble!  But still, if they can’t get reinforcements through, I think it’d be worth trying.

• @SgtBlitz:

@calvinhobbesliker:

You forgot that Britain activates 4 inf in Africa

4 Inf in Africa, 2 Inf in Saudi Arabia, and 2 inf from Afganistan!  Quite a gamble!  But still, if they can’t get reinforcements through, I think it’d be worth trying.

Actually, Afghanistan has 4 inf.

• sounds good,but a bit risky,it could all go pear shaped,and you will give the soviets 6 inf in mongolia,as china cant attack acme wall,thats 24 soviet inf to hit the japs with

• as USA i will also gladly harvest the 6 extra IPC’s and a couple of inf. in South America.

Attacking true neutrals sounds really insane, you’d have to attack all 3 major neutral countries succesfully at once (sweden, turkey and spain) and you’ll be giving up the obstacle that SPain always used to be for the allies.

It does show a lot of axis balls ;)

• This sounds good SgtBlitz, you should have kept this strat quiet to use on someone!

• i think by the letter of the rules somewhere Greece does not touch Turkey.

Transports must still be used to take out Turkey

• I think it sounds awesome and fun because thats what a game is, fun! You should try this and report back to us!

• @oztea:

i think by the letter of the rules somewhere Greece does not touch Turkey.

Transports must still be used to take out Turkey

Look at the map, a small part of Turkey is in Europe. Just like in the real world.

• If this happens, Japan needs to seriously consider getting transports to South America.  It’s worth another 8 bucks a turn!  Minor complex in Peru and it’s ALL YOURS.  THE AXIS WILL RULE THE WORLD! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

• I thought Allies didn’t get all other true neutrals do they? I thought they were independent of each other?

Krieg is this true?

• bulgaria touches turky

• @SgtBlitz:

So like everyone else here, I’ve been enjoying the hell out of the new political rules and Axis and Allies wonderland that is AAG40.  It is turning out to be one hell of a game, with umpteen zillion different strategies and maneuvers to be tried out yet.  I haven’t had a chance to try out this particular idea yet, but it seems like it might really be something worth trying, especially for:

Helping out Italy in the Middle East
    Opening a second front in Russia
    Widening a corridor to India
    Holding Gibraltar to protect the Med

I’m gonna try this soon, but I do see one slight danger, you are spreading out thin and if one or two attacks (say, in the North Sea against the RN fail then you might have a problem). Or if France refuses to fall, which almost happened in my first game when Germany allocated its planes elsewhere in G1.

• All of the strict Neutrals become pro allied,  The allies still have to send units to active them and then, those units can still only be used the following turn because it is a non-cmbat move into a pro-neutral.  The Allies will receive the income on their collect income phase but that is about it.

It almost seems like the secondary benefit to Germany for using this strategy is that it will pull forces AWAY from Germany for a turn.  So yes the Allies will receive a few extra Infantry but they will be arriving later in the Battle.

If anyone tries this I would like to hear about it.  I am playing my first game on Sunday and I am thinking I will be either Germany or Japan as I have the most experience with A&A in my gamming group.  Any suggesttions would be great.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I’ve thought about this, but to be honest, it’s a better American strategy.

American or British forces can land in SPAIN in one move from an NB.  If you add a NB to SPAIN then you can shuck back and forth every turn.  Landing combined allied units.

The best part is, MOST of the now pro Axis neutrals, like in Africa or S.A. there is limited access too.  And the axis still HAVE to go there, etc.  Plus German loses the N.O. if you hit Sweden.

Even better because France has more then one territory touching spain,  The axis has to clump to one side or the other, It’ terribly dificult to defend against, especially with british advancing ground and amphibous units, with american support.  Italy is directly under threat almost immediately.

So what if the axis pick up a few inf in turkey, swe, and Switz,  I don’t think it’s enough to warrant against the fact that america can dump on you in one move.  thus, every turn.

Once Russia is in the war too, what are they going to do?

Certainly worth considering for either side.

• Great idea Gargantua.  I may actually try this.  Preventing the U.S.A. from taking Spain might be the best reason FOR Germany to take Spain.

You’ll have to come up for a name of this maneuver, like the “American Express” or the Spainish conection!

• @Daedelus:

Great idea Gargantua.  I may actually try this.  Preventing the U.S.A. from taking Spain might be the best reason FOR Germany to take Spain.

You’ll have to come up for a name of this maneuver, like the “American Express” or the Spainish conection!

…or something like…“OPERATION GERMAN DIAPHRAM”…good god! :|

• @Gargantua:

I’ve thought about this, but to be honest, it’s a better American strategy.

American or British forces can land in SPAIN in one move from an NB.  If you add a NB to SPAIN then you can shuck back and forth every turn.  Landing combined allied units.

The best part is, MOST of the now pro Axis neutrals, like in Africa or S.A. there is limited access too.  And the axis still HAVE to go there, etc.  Plus German loses the N.O. if you hit Sweden.

Even better because France has more then one territory touching spain,  The axis has to clump to one side or the other, It’ terribly dificult to defend against, especially with british advancing ground and amphibous units, with american support.  Italy is directly under threat almost immediately.

So what if the axis pick up a few inf in turkey, swe, and Switz,  I don’t think it’s enough to warrant against the fact that america can dump on you in one move.  thus, every turn.

Once Russia is in the war too, what are they going to do?

Certainly worth considering for either side.

Germany does not lose the NO if it takes Sweden (Axis Controlled).  The Allies would have an easier time taking either Norway or Denmark to screw up that NO.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m