Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

I think this is fine. I might still mix in a few inf to increase the Soviet build but 7 art should be fine.

You can decide on the Fr fighter after the Italy turn so you will know if it needs to stay. I get 30% odds for him if the fighter stays.

Tambov is better than Samara if it is an option It does looks 55-45 in his favour. I don’t think those are odds he would take but those aren’t odds I would risk if I could avoid it too.

• If you can keep Moscow and tambov safe, I would wonder if you even need a blocker in Samara or Kazakhstan. Samara is fine in that if he attacks you can counter. And he doesn’t have any air that can reach in any case so he has to commit more land. But Kazakhstan seems to just be a sacrifice.You might trade for an Italian tank if he decides to go East with the Fast movers, but the chance is low.

• Moscow is not safe if Italy takes Samara, unless some UK-figs fly in. G then has 7 mech, 5 tank, 2 sb.

I’m mulling over what’s best here; to be on the offense in Tambov, but at the same time bordering the edge, or more safely just stack up in Samara keeping the back-yard safe and consolidating forces.

I’m starting to lean towards the latter. The 5 IPC earned from evacuating all foreign air would be sweet. And that air can find better use elsewhere as well.

That would mean less blockers and securing Moscow with land. The 4 mech will come to very good use with that task.

• For China’s sake I don’t want to allow Axis to just blow through east, but 1 inf will be an ok sacrifice. Well, a blocker really.

• TripleA Turn Summary: Russians round 6

TripleA Turn Summary for game: World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition, version: 4.0

Game History

Round: 6

Purchase Units - Russians
            Russians buy 7 artilleries; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 

Combat Move - Russians
            1 mech_infantry moved from Ethiopia to Italian Somaliland
                  Russians take Italian Somaliland from Italians
            1 infantry moved from Russia to Bryansk
                  Russians take Bryansk from Germans
            1 infantry moved from Russia to Tambov
                  Russians take Tambov from Germans

Combat - Russians

Non Combat Move - Russians
            1 infantry moved from Vologda to Archangel
            2 infantry moved from Dzavhan to Yenisey
            1 submarine moved from 105 Sea Zone to 92 Sea Zone
            1 infantry moved from Novosibirsk to Kazakhstan
            1 aaGun moved from Vologda to Russia
            1 infantry moved from Russia to Smolensk
            3 infantry moved from Novosibirsk to Vologda
            1 aaGun moved from Samara to Russia
            1 aaGun moved from Novosibirsk to Vologda
            1 aaGun moved from Novosibirsk to Samara
            21 infantry moved from Russia to Samara
            9 infantry moved from Novosibirsk to Samara
            3 mech_infantrys moved from Samara to Russia
            1 infantry moved from Timguska to Novosibirsk
            1 infantry moved from Novosibirsk to Samara
            6 infantry moved from Russia to Samara
            1 infantry moved from Russia to Samara

Place Units - Russians
            7 artilleries placed in Russia

Turn Complete - Russians
            Russians collect 18 PUs; end with 18 PUs
            Objective Russians 2 Spread Of Communism: Russians met a national objective for an additional 9 PUs; end with 27 PUs

Combat Hit Differential Summary :

Savegame

• Ok, this is the alternative approach. Waiting a bit before finalizing it.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

I like the other play better. You limit G moves. But this does defend against eastward expansion from G. I guess I don’t like this because it allows him to pivot back to Bryansk.

But here’s a learning opportunity for me: I really don’t think any move by Russia will really matter as long as a) protect capital, b) don’t get caught too far from capital I can’t get back – since pretty much everyone was already in Moscow, this is a non-issue. We can attempt to threaten some German stack (Volgograd looks good because of relative size + IPC bonus), but that’s all it really will be. We can’t attack Volgograd (or anywhere in force) or G will just use the mobile forces to go around and drive to Moscow.
    Thus, just make an idle threat somewhere…

Continuing this, next round is where it would be interesting because you have to think how you can safely move 2 spots away from Moscow. That’s why I like Tambov more than Samara because none of the mobile units would be able to go around the “other side” of Moscow from the stack.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

…would NOT be able to go around…

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

shameless bump to get post #1000
    Congrats everyone for all the contributions

• I also kind of think the infantry and Kazakhstan is wasteful.

• @Saber25 said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

I also kind of think the infantry and Kazakhstan is wasteful.

China has a hard time defending against that and in OOB there is no guerilla. I think 1 inf is a cheap price to pay for making that endeavour more difficult.

• @surfer said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

I like the other play better. You limit G moves. But this does defend against eastward expansion from G. I guess I don’t like this because it allows him to pivot back to Bryansk.

I agree, but the main problem is that it’s a tad unstable or risky. Can be solved with foreign figs, but partly I want to boost the soviet economy with 5 IPC if possible and partly I’m not sure if the figs will be better needed elsewhere.

The Samara choice is simply a lot more secure, especially regarding the capital.

Sure, Italy has less than 10 % chance of succeeding with a daredevil-attack on a blocker of 4 inf, but if it succeeds Russia is likely screwed.

One way of countering that is to keep a bigger blocker, like 5 or 6 inf. Since G can’t use air expending it, they will likely not benefit from trying.

Another problem though is that Tambov is a 50/50-battle. Usually that means heavy causalties for G even if they win, but if the loss is too little, again, Russia is screwed.

Maybe the smart thing to do is stacking in Tambov and securing everything with foreign air? Not being greedy.

This still needs some thought.

• What exactly are you defending though? I don’t think he is going to take the entire stack of fast movers German troops into Chinese territory. Maybe he would blitz through to Turkmenistan to threaten Calcutta/ME from the other side, but at that point you could stack Persia and leave a blocker in Eastern Persia and it wouldn’t be an issue. If it is only to save 2 Chinese territories for another turn, I dont think it is worth it because the Japanese infantry and artillery in the north are also picking off territories one by one. Sure, it might get China 2-3 more points for 1 more turn, but that’s roughly a wash then isn’t it? I’m new, so I am not by any means trying to be confrontational, and if I am missing something totally point it out! Thanks :)

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

The Tambov move can be “fixed” by not placing 10 inf in Vologda. Put 5 there, and move the 5 to Samara. Now there are 9 in Samara. No way for Italian can open. Germany could take Samara, but would be destroyed in counter attack. But 55-45 battle in Tambov is not good. Easily fixed with 1 french ftr or more.

What do you think is more important, pushing G back, or increasing income?
    Pro of Tambov: Where does G move? Mostly towards Ukraine, ok, what about the slow movers in Volgograd? Could just stay and die. R would have to use a large force to kill it and then G counter through Bryansk is a checkmate on capitol.

Back to thinking, this move doesn’t really matter because your just going to have to return home next turn. Defend Samara as at least that slows down an eastward movement

• @Saber25 said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

What exactly are you defending though? I don’t think he is going to take the entire stack of fast movers German troops into Chinese territory. Maybe he would blitz through to Turkmenistan to threaten Calcutta/ME from the other side, but at that point you could stack Persia and leave a blocker in Eastern Persia and it wouldn’t be an issue. If it is only to save 2 Chinese territories for another turn, I dont think it is worth it because the Japanese infantry and artillery in the north are also picking off territories one by one. Sure, it might get China 2-3 more points for 1 more turn, but that’s roughly a wash then isn’t it? I’m new, so I am not by any means trying to be confrontational, and if I am missing something totally point it out! Thanks :)

Do not underestimate the chinese! ;)

That China-hoard is a true pain in the arse for Japan. I want it to get even bigger, not smaller. 1 IPC here and there is quite a big thing for little China.

China is very inflexible. They have a limited push and won’t be able to defend their territories particularly well. Where the stack is right now in Kweichow is a perfect central position. Still doesn’t connect with the west or east fringes.

It will likely not stay there though. How much I like the centre-control, the stack has to achieve something more than just supervising area.

One idea is to help UK out by entering Yunnan á la farmboy. Another is to move north and try to reach the richer territories that way. Did a silly effort to the east, but the stack will just be squashed. Up north it will disconnect from most of the japanese navy-air.

To reiterate, China won’t be able to fight for it’s western domains. Russia also has better things to do. In the light of that, stopping G from an easy eastward expansion is actually rather valuable.

If Italy wants to can-open that inf, then be our guest. I’m sure it’s not worth that much for Axis.

• TripleA Manual Gamesave Post: Russians round 6

TripleA Manual Gamesave Post for game: World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition, version: 4.0

Game History

Round: 6

Purchase Units - Russians
            Russians buy 7 artilleries; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 

Combat Move - Russians
            1 mech_infantry moved from Ethiopia to Italian Somaliland
                  Russians take Italian Somaliland from Italians
            1 infantry moved from Russia to Bryansk
                  Russians take Bryansk from Germans
            1 infantry moved from Russia to Tambov
                  Russians take Tambov from Germans

Combat - Russians

Non Combat Move - Russians
            1 infantry moved from Vologda to Archangel
            2 infantry moved from Dzavhan to Yenisey
            1 infantry moved from Novosibirsk to Kazakhstan
            1 aaGun, 4 artilleries, 34 infantry and 3 mech_infantrys moved from Samara to Tambov
            1 aaGun and 2 infantry moved from Vologda to Russia
            26 infantry moved from Russia to Tambov
            1 infantry moved from Timguska to Novosibirsk
            2 infantry moved from Novosibirsk to Samara
            6 infantry moved from Russia to Tambov
            2 aaGuns moved from Russia to Tambov
            2 aaGuns and 1 infantry moved from Novosibirsk to Vologda
            2 infantry moved from Novosibirsk to Vologda
            2 infantry moved from Novosibirsk to Vologda
            1 infantry moved from Novosibirsk to Vologda
            4 infantry moved from Novosibirsk to Vologda
            1 submarine moved from 105 Sea Zone to 92 Sea Zone

Place Units - Russians
            7 artilleries placed in Russia

Turn Complete - Russians
            Russians collect 18 PUs; end with 18 PUs
            Objective Russians 2 Spread Of Communism: Russians met a national objective for an additional 9 PUs; end with 27 PUs
            Turning on Edit Mode
            EDIT: Removing units owned by Russians from Vologda: 2 infantry
            EDIT: Adding units owned by Russians to Samara: 1 infantry
            EDIT: Adding units owned by Russians to Novosibirsk: 1 infantry
            EDIT: Turning off Edit Mode

Combat Hit Differential Summary :

Savegame

• I’ve finally decided upon the more aggressive stance, which I think forces G to consolidate in either Rostov or Caucasus or alternatively initiating a southern push for the ME.

I consider the latter to be suicide, so I’m expecting a Rostov-stack with a fair collection of pansar. That controls the important area and keeps up the pressure on Moscow, but G can’t stay there forever. Eventually they’ll be out-produced if the army just stays put.

Russia does still have a respectable income, thanks to Iraq and Africa.

I’m sensing with 8 italian mechs incoming, G will have some more substantial can-opening soon. That’s first in 3 turns though. More importantly, the 3 figs and 1 sb will likely be of great impact already next turn, unless the Allies forces Italy’s hand for defence.

From Tambov we’ll have the option to stack in either Bryansk, Tambov, Samara or Moscow next turn.

• The french fig will be able to secure Moscow in case Italy would be successful with a can-opening in Samara. I’m pretty confident though that the effort will not happen since that attack is nothing more than insane desperado.

After Japan we may decide whether to evacuate air from Russia or safe-guard Tambov.

A full-scale german attack on Tambov is perhaps a 55 %-battle in their favour, but it carries with it a lot of uncertainty and an expected -50 TUV-swing. Honestly don’t think G can afford that. Especially since Russia will be able to produce 9 inf again and get substantial help from allied figs.

I’m leaning towards playing boldly and collecting those extra 5 IPC. :grinning:

• The plan is set. Consider this finalized.

• @surfer said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

What do you think is more important, pushing G back, or increasing income?

Both. ;)

Usually they’re connected though. On several levels.

We won’t be able to push G back, but can only apply pressure atm to demand defence.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m