What's a good axis strategy against an aggressive Russia?

• I’ve been having problems as the axis against an aggressive Russia player who’s been successful.

• '17 '16

My bet would be on purchasing more infantry to not loose Panther too early and let T-34 being destroyed against German Infantry counter.
    Use aircraft with Infantry to conquer deadzoned TT due to Soviet counter and place most of Tank together with 2 or 3 Infantry buffer to deter any attack, let Soviet loosing momentum, by G3 or G4, he will fall back being unable to sustain 1:1 attrition with Germany.

• Accept some G1 (and possibly even G2) withdrawals. G has a lot more power than R, but it is not as focused. Any early G advances are likely to be punished. Instead consolidate those overwhelming G forces and then launch an unstoppable attack! :-D

• If Russia is aggressive early,  they are probably buying tanks… a couple of easyfixes solved with your airpower advantage:

1. kill his tanks… use infantry and fighter/bomber counter attacks to kill his tank stacks, if he counter attacks,  you only lose infantry for his tanks, an economic swing Russia can’t afford.

2. in places you want to make your stand, use fighters for D… once again,  its going to hurt Russia trying to take fighter defended territories.

An aggressive Russia only benefits Germany,  it will become more of a meat grinder than Russia  can afford… liberal use of the superior Luftwaffe killing Russian tank stacks and defending key territories will make Germany’s destruction of Russia even easier.

Also, if the Allies are going all-out KGF, this will leave Asia open to Japan… have Japan ignore America and push hard and fast on Russia’s back door… Japanese tanks approaching Moscow from the east unopposed will make Russia think twice about an aggressive KGF strategy.

• Disciplinary Group Banned

I don’t know if this will help, but this is my tactic on the Russian front. If I’m Germany, or if I’m Russia I use the same tactic.

TACTIC
    I buy one fighter, and I buy infantry per turn.

Good luck. :)

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Can you tell us a little more about what you mean? Exactly how aggressive is Russia playing? Are they buying mostly tanks? Are they stacking up in Karelia, or West Russia, or Ukraine, or what? What is the UK doing while this is happening? What do you like to buy as Germany on the first two turns, and where do you usually attack?

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

SBR Russia.  They are industrially weal.  A few good raids and they start stumbling.

• @Private-Panic said in What's a good axis strategy against an aggressive Russia?:

Accept some G1 (and possibly even G2) withdrawals. G has a lot more power than R, but it is not as focused. Any early G advances are likely to be punished. Instead consolidate those overwhelming G forces and then launch an unstoppable attack! :-D

I’ve read over a few threads and I realize that I don’t understand the minutiae implied in a lot of these tactics, like when you say withdrawal, does that mean not attacking on Germany’s first round anywhere?

I realize a lot of these as noob questions but even running against the AI (AI is axis) they somehow manage to get a buttload of tank stacks together while retaining a fair number of infantry, while for a real game, Russia mows down a few German infantry and then just kind of hunker down and keep stacking infantry.

I’m guessing this is a classic conundrum but at that point, I don’t nearly the number of infantry/other fighter power to make a meaningful dent in the Russian front. So part of my confusion is coming from the vast difference in outcomes between the virtual game and what number of forces I’m left with (as Germany) after Russia’s first round and lack of interior troops to buffer what’s left, let alone attack.

• @fenderbender4 Hi there. I certainly do not mean don’t attack anywhere. Where there are easy victories make the most of them. But don’t place a significant G force at the mercy of a superior R one.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m