Troops and easy identification painting the bases…

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '10

Hi all,

I am painting the bases of my troops for easy identifications while on the board.

When available I am also grabbing specific markers made by HBG of Historic divisions. Example the US Calvary Chip being used in the example picture. Then SNLF divisions, and the different German units. The sides of these chips also getting the specific type of troops color.

Regular Infantry I was not going to paint up…

For Calvary I am painting a Spruce Green

Airborne units a light Blue

Milita a yellow

Marines a Red (Even the dark green for the US, the Complete Dark Green without Red will be the elite Marines I am thinking…)

Special Forces units (yes not a need or actual rules for them yet but plan on something) I have to decide on a color. Leaning towards a maroon or maybe even a purple…

Partisans…have to figure a color…as already started making marines red…(Any suggestions?)

Mountain Infantry are a gold base.  (Not sure why I picked them…Gold in them darn hills… perhaps)

Commanders (Only have one for each nations so far and no rules so don’t have to decide yet.)
    IMG_6264 2.jpg

Wow have to figure out how to post good photos on here.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

Just out of curiosity, what does adding a color to the base do to make identification any easier for you? Either way wouldn’t you need to consult some kind of key?

You don’t think the different sculpts in themselves are identification enough?

• '18 '17 '16

I had given that a lot of thought because I was using different sculpts for each. The thing is you would have no problem identifying your own pieces because you built the game. The other people who come over to play a game with you would have a very difficult time when you consider how many different types of pieces of all kinds on the board. It is much easier to differentiate them if you colour the bases or use the various chips like I do;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkhMuAEsi70&t=11s

You did a great job, thenorthman.

@GeneralHandGrenade:

I had given that a lot of thought because I was using different sculpts for each. The thing is you would have no problem identifying your own pieces because you built the game. The other people who come over to play a game with you would have a very difficult time when you consider how many different types of pieces of all kinds on the board. It is much easier to differentiate them if you colour the bases or use the various chips like I do;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkhMuAEsi70&t=11s

You did a great job, thenorthman.

Thanks!

Yea I plan to play with some folks in Alaska. If not immediately and quickly identified some mistakes might be made. Plus I am planning in also using the HBG markers but might consider not using them later if the troops are easily identified by all.  I also want them identifiable from a distance.  No accidentally moving of militia or mistaking a mountain infantry and need to abort an attack……

Plus it is fun to an extent doing them up. :O)

Very good point Hand Grenade. I forget that others may not realize or catch on right away. Of course I know, I’ve invested a lot of time and money to it!

I just meant that either way you have a key, right? People won’t know what each color means either. My only question was to have a key of either the color painted, or a silhouette of the unit. Was just seeing if I could save you the paint jobs  :-)

@Chris_Henry:

Very good point Hand Grenade. I forget that others may not realize or catch on right away. Of course I know, I’ve invested a lot of time and money to it!

I just meant that either way you have a key, right? People won’t know what each color means either. My only question was to have a key of either the color painted, or a silhouette of the unit. Was just seeing if I could save you the paint jobs  :-)

I plan to have a label inside the lid of the 7300 Plano boxes. Labeling what is in each compartment with a photo of one of the units. Plus the stats for said units for reference.

• '17

This is an excellent idea! I use coloured chips for the same reasons. A missed sculpt in London can be an airborne landing in Berlin. It’s a cheesy way to lose the game.

A legend of some type for all the players is perfect. We have it on a whiteboard next to the income and tech charts also.

Thanks for showing your stuff off its great!

• The last time I played GW with my friends, I setup a ‘piece library’ and a nearby counter top.  There was a nameplates for each unit type and an example unit from each country that had that said type.  Worked out really well, but it did take up a bit of space.

• I’m currently painting my set, once done I plan to take photos of all the pieces and then create some little booklets (maybe index card sized?) for players to reference. Each page of the booklet will include small pictures of each nation’s copy of the unit plus its stats. I’m hoping to theme the booklets to look like those Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) recognition manuals.

• '17

@EBard:

I’m currently painting my set, once done I plan to take photos of all the pieces and then create some little booklets (maybe index card sized?) for players to reference. Each page of the booklet will include small pictures of each nation’s copy of the unit plus its stats. I’m hoping to theme the booklets to look like those Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) recognition manuals.

Love this idea!

@Rank:

@EBard:

I’m currently painting my set, once done I plan to take photos of all the pieces and then create some little booklets (maybe index card sized?) for players to reference. Each page of the booklet will include small pictures of each nation’s copy of the unit plus its stats. I’m hoping to theme the booklets to look like those Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) recognition manuals.

Love this idea!

Just watched your newest video upload. Nice ideas!

Me I just transferred “sunk” money from Europa board games to HBG miniatures. :-). In fact have another $500 coming for a few more sold. As soon as know everything is okay and delivered I plan to grab the last large sum of stuff I THINK I need for the game.

Of course now wondering if some of the minis need more than 9 to 10 of each…even some of the Japanese pieces have a few sculpts that only number 4.

• '17

Thanks the northman!
    As for pieces counts that kinda depends on the game. Often we have enough at 9 or 10 units. Though sometimes we need more until the stacks attack. Especially for German and Russian ground units.
    Special infantry depends on the strategies but most I saw was 10ish marine infantry for either Japan or US if they are spamming the islands and shipping reinforcement.  4 usually more than enough for the rest otherwise. Mountain troops are a bit more variable. Depending upon placement by enemy, area of stacks etc. 6 is usually plenty or too many.

Japanese pieces.
    We are okish with 5 each of light tanks, light carriers, motorized, med bombers, rarely get heavy bombers. Oob usually ok for most of Japan otherwise I believe.

@Rank:

Thanks the northman!
    As for pieces counts that kinda depends on the game. Often we have enough at 9 or 10 units. Though sometimes we need more until the stacks attack. Especially for German and Russian ground units.
    Special infantry depends on the strategies but most I saw was 10ish marine infantry for either Japan or US if they are spamming the islands and shipping reinforcement.  4 usually more than enough for the rest otherwise. Mountain troops are a bit more variable. Depending upon placement by enemy, area of stacks etc. 6 is usually plenty or too many.

Japanese pieces.
    We are okish with 5 each of light tanks, light carriers, motorized, med bombers, rarely get heavy bombers. Oob usually ok for most of Japan otherwise I believe.

Oh mountain infantry was one I was a little concerned about.  Largely have 6 for each nation. Five purchased as a group and one added from doing the GW 36 set that was offered.  I do have a about 12 white/neutral ones. So thinking the rare times (hopefully rare) that they run out using one of them to signify the count. If it become regular either paint one or two of them up or grab another set of 5 for each country.

I do I am finding have a bunch extra Torpedo Boat Destroyers.  Think I might sell some of them off….or something.  Think off hand with out looking to confirm have 7 of each of those. Where really only needed one or two for most nations.

• '18 '17 '16

Remember that you are also using chips under your mountain infantry to stack them up so 6 will put them in 6 different territories even if you actually had more than that. You probably have plenty. You will not need 7 torpedo boat destroyers for any nation. They can’t be purchased in the game (neither can coastal subs) so all that will ever appear on the board will be those in the opening set up. My advice is to find someone to trade your extra ones to for units or markers that you need. It sounds like you have enough to trade to multiple people. I have done a lot of piece trading on here and it’s a great way to meet people from distant places who you might even consider visiting or hosting some day for games. Or you could of course offer them for sale like you intended.

@EBard:

That sounds freaking awesome EBard. Would definitely love to see the final product!

• '17 '16 '15

It is a tough problem for a great game with so many infantry versions
    I still haven’t committed to one idea over another yet, but for now regular infantry  and mountain infantry scuplts I like, so they get to go straight on the board.

For militia I use the white Dutch infantry sculpt because they stand out, so that no-one should ever move them out of their territory.  I then painted their base to the colour of the nation they belong to.

Not sure what to do with marines, elites, airbourne, blackshirts, volkstrum etc etc yet.

I have the flat tokens for now but we find they keep getting overlooked a lot.

If someone brings out a generic colour scheme that we can all use it would make videos easier to see whats going on.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m