• '17 '15

Hello, I’m looking to build an abacus or two for the custom table I have planned. Went to Michaels, a hobby store in Canada, and found some pre-drilled wooden beads. I figure I can stain them easy enough, but was wondering what people used for the rod that the beads slide on? Metal rods? From a metal shop? And what do you use for supports for the abacus?
    Thanks for the feedback.

• Metal rods or brass rods from hardware stores should have it. Drill holes in wood supports on ends and middle. YG has them. Maybe he’ll chime in to help u out.

• Sponsor

Get the beads you want first, take a bead to Home Depot and find a metal rod size that the bead will slide along easily without being to lose. Decide the length of the rod depending on how many beads you wish to have along the rod (and if you want room for both attacker and defender casualty counts). Next step gets tricky, I will post a picture tomorrow of the pieces I used to fasten the rod to my table.

• '17

Glad you brought up this topic Rand. I have been thinking about the same thing. I have not done anything yet because I am also considering hit dice. Not sure if both would be needed.

• Disciplinary Group Banned

What will the purpose be for a abacus in A&A games???

• @Dauvio:

I think it’s used as an alternative to the conventional income-tracking chart.

• @CWO:

@Dauvio:

I thought it was mainly used to count hits during battles?

• Sponsor

@calvinhobbesliker:

@CWO:

@Dauvio:

I thought it was mainly used to count hits during battles?

Bingo

• Ah, I see.  Thanks for the clarification.

• '17 '15

Young Grasshopper…. Teach me bro… Show me pics of the supports…

• Sponsor

@Rand:

Young Grasshopper…. Teach me bro… Show me pics of the supports…

Sorry, I forgot about this… Will take pictures and post.

• I liked the idea of the abacus for counting hits during combat so I built one for my gaming table.
    I got the beads from Michael’s a craft store here in Canada, and a brass rod from Home Depot.  I did have the drill out the beads a little as they were a bit too snug on the rod.  I had the rod first.  I have mounted it on a some 3/4 inch plywood that I cut down, and I made the attachment points on the computer and 3D printed them.  At first I just used some wood blocks until I got the idea to 3D print the attachment points.

I painted the beads grey, green, and red in the same style as the chips from the game.  1, 3, 5.  this makes counting that much easier from across the table.

All in all a very useful tool/customization.  I have 15 per side, and only have troubles when doing the massive battles in Russia.

I have attached the STL files that I made for the 3D prints.  They will work with a rod dia of 3/16 of an inch.

Hope this helps.
    Buran

IMG_7418-1.JPG
    Abacus Plates.zip

• Sponsor

The piece I use to hold them together…

IMG_2095.jpg

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m