• … except me! … who did not even know what a dice tower is for! :roll:

• @Private:

… except me! … who did not even know what a dice tower is for! :roll:

When they’re designed with effective soundproofing, they’re used to save marriages!  :)

• @CWO:

@Private:

When they’re designed with effective soundproofing, they’re used to save marriages!  :)

Agreed!

• '17 '16

@John:

Those are cool.

Is the Lord of the Rings risk game good?

Depends on what you like… if you hate normal Risk and/or don’t like LotR, then no… it’s a terrible game and you should avoid it like the plague.

We are talking the obvious here… it’s basically RISK, played on a map of Middle Earth from LotR. If you like Risk and/or are a fan of LotR, then it’s definitely a fun game and a winner.

Boiled down, it is very much RISK on a LotR map of Middle Earth (if you get the game, there’s actually two versions, make sure you get the “TRILOGY EDITION” or you’ll get ripped off)… the major change/difference beyond map is the addition of Fortresses and Leaders… Forts (Like Helm’s Deep or Minas Tirith) add a +1 to your highest die roll when on defense… Leaders travel with armies and add +1 to your highest die roll on attack or defense (and can be added on top of defending a fortress for a big fat +2). There’s also the ringbearer… which kind of adds a timer so-to-speak so the RISK game doesn’t go on forever… evil kinda wants to win before the Ringbearer makes it to Mt Doom… this prevents a 10 hour game of Risk!

As for my picture above and the “looks cool” comment… realize I did “trick-out” my copy of LotR: Risk… the Dice Towers are obviously not default with the game, Fortresses are just printed on the map, I actually added color-coordinated Fortress pieces to my version, and the biggest change I made… was leaders… in default LotR: Risk, the leaders are generic flags that implies “hey, there’s a leader here”… I added miniatures of famous characters from LotR as leader pieces… so you actually have Gandalf, Saruman or the Lord of the Nazgul as your leader for example… not some plastic flag.

In summary, if you like Risk and/or if you like LotR, yes its a fun game and I enjoy it… but if you hate Risk and hate LotR… stay clear, this game won’t make you magically like them if you don’t already. Like A&A, it was fun to customize the game and make it better than it is out of the box.

I can’t get my kids to play A&A much, but they both enjoy LotR Risk

LotRRiskCustom.jpg
    LotRRiskGame1.jpg

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

It looks like a lot fun, and I like all your additions to the game.

Where did you get your dice towers for it?

Cute kids.

That is cool that they like board games, because some don’t. :-)

• @CWO:

@Private:

You mean my wife may actually allow me to play in the house? :lol:

@Private:

@CWO:

@Private:

When they’re designed with effective soundproofing, they’re used to save marriages!�  :)

You mean my wife may actually allow me to play in the house? :lol:

That is too funny! Mine is at the point that she doesn’t won’t me in the house, because of all my toys.

• '17 '16

@John:

It looks like a lot fun, and I like all your additions to the game.

Where did you get your dice towers for it?

Ya… if you look in the other games forum, you’ll find more details on my mods there… (look for the RISK: LotR thread)… but to answer quickly since this IS the Dice Tower thread…

Those in the picture are SolidFactory Dice Towers (silver and black)… you can pick them up on Amazon for about $30/ea… a bit pricey, but they are very solid and sturdy, and won’t dissolve if you spill a drink on them… they’ll last forever.

@John:

Cute kids.

That is cool that they like board games, because some don’t. :-)

Thanks, I’m kinda partial to my kids… and yes, as a single father, I pretty much can teach them how life really is… like everything in the world is based on WWII and board games. (hehe, just kidding). But we do have family game night every week, and I have a host of various board games we play face to face… it’s an excuse to rip them from their computers and cell phones for some face to face family time… something that board games will always be superior to their digital counterparts at.

Thanks for the information.

I wish, more family’s would bond with their children, like that.

It is so much more healthy for them, than just using technology.

I use to see kids play outside, but now they are stuck to phones, computers or video games, these days.

• '17 '16

Ya… I make sure we have a face to face game with the kids at least once a week… there’s just an interaction you get over a board game you can’t get at the movies, in front of a TV or playing video games. I suppose that’s another reason I just don’t do TripleA… there’s a fun over face to face board games you can’t get anywhere else.

Sticking on-topic, Dice Towers… here’s a closeup of the Solidfactory Dice Tower… may not be the most cost-efficient dice tower out there, but dang, it’s very nice looking, solid construction, and even has a dice storage compartment built-in. While the castle design makes it look more for medieval/fantasy settings, you can always just buy the black one and pretend it’s one of Himmler’s whacked-out SS castle retreats.

SolidFactoryDiceTower.jpg

Yes, that is what I was looking for, if I decide to buy the Trilogy Lord of the Ring Risk Game.

Thanks again for the info.

• I have one I love it there is no chance of manipulation of the dice by me cuz after all I usually play solitaire

@generalTrible:

I have one I love it there is no chance of manipulation of the dice by me cuz after all I usually play solitaire

I have to play a lot of games like that, so that is nice to know. :-)

• @generalTrible:

I have one I love it there is no chance of manipulation of the dice by me cuz after all I usually play solitaire

It’s do-able, as evidenced by this great line from the movie Litte Caesar: “How’d you boss this job? By sitting here in your office cheating yourself at solitaire?”

• '17 '16

@CWO:

It’s do-able, as evidenced by this great line from the movie Litte Caesar: “How’d you boss this job? By sitting here in your office cheating yourself at solitaire?”

I thought the best line from that movie was “Pizza, Pizza!”

• @Wolfshanze:

@CWO:

I thought the best line from that movie was “Pizza, Pizza!”

Um, I don’t get the joke.  Are you talking about the 1930s gangster film Little Caesar with Edward G. Robinson or something else? It has no such line of dialogue, as I recall.

• He is referring to the pizza chain Little Caesars and their slogan

• @bgugs:

He is referring to the pizza chain Little Caesars and their slogan

Ah.  Okay, thanks for the clarification.  I would have been surprised if it had been a line from the movie because its concept of Italian food is a little odd.  At the beginning of the film, Robinson’s character and his sidekick go into a diner and order “spaghetti and coffee for two.”  I don’t know what they get served (we don’t get a close-up), but from its general appearance and from the way Robinson uses his utensils to eat his food it sure doesn’t seem to be spaghetti.  Given that the titular character, an Italian named Caesar Enrico Bandello, is played by Robinson, who’s of Romanian Jewish birth, I suppose the dubious Italian cuisine fits right in.

• This thread has become hilarious.

• '17 '16

@CWO:

@bgugs:

He is referring to the pizza chain Little Caesars and their slogan

Ah. Okay, thanks for the clarification.

See below…

Little-Caesars-Logo.jpg

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics