Upgrade from Revised Edition?

• Hey Guys,

Im owner of the Axis & Allies Revised (20th Anniversary) Edition. I guess it’s the predecessor of the current “1942 Second Edition”. However, I wouldn’t call myself a hardcore player, as the game did not come onto the table regularly or very often.

I now still want to step up the game and eventually print a game map as the revised versions’s board way too tiny.
    I have tried to get an overview of the new and different versions and some questions came to my mind, which I hope you can answer:

1. I read about the differences between the revised and 2d Edition of 1942. Besides the bigger board and nicer pieces, can the 2nd Edition Ruleset be played with the first edition material?
      Is it worth upgrading from the revised to 2nd Edition then? Or is upgrading to a diffrent version more wise?

2. I also read alot about Global 40 which seems to be the most played edition here, right? Can you put this version in perspective for someone who played only 1942 Revised edition? I read that it’s somehow extreme and you need a table with like 180cm/70in space. I guess its not for casual players?

3. Although the price is really tempting (low) 1941 seems to be an “light”-version? I guess it’s a ‘downgrade’ coming from the 1942 Revised Edition? Is it worth for me being not a beginner?

4. How does WWI 1914 fit into the big picture? Can you put this in perspective?

5. The Anniversary Edition seems to compete with the 1942 2nd edition. Are there reasons to buy one or the other version? Normally I would assume by name that the Anniversary Edition is somehow
      better than the 1942 2nd Edition and i should go for this version as its only 18€ more.

What would you recommend? :)

Thank you in advance guys!

• 42.2 easily. It fixed alot of the Revised nonsense problems.

The sea zones are laid out perfectly, having spent 590 hours dealing with them and their intricacys.

Unit costs make more sense

Submarine rules are superior

I feel its better suited for house rules and use of G40 ideas/ units

No black oceans, nicer board except it looks a little crunched up ( Cartography of Revised is horrible drawn by mutants)

I like the AA gun interactions better and SBR rules

Forget 1st edition. Nobody plays that anymore

1914 is a decent game, but ugly piece sculpts. More mutants created them

AA50 is better than 1942.2 and E40/P40/G40 are greater still

• Sorry, I corrected my mistake. I meant the revised version. Not 1st edition.

Thanks for clearing up some points!

So the question is to upgrade to 1942se oder to anniversary from revised as they got similar prices :) Does the anniversary really differs a lot from the revised version except for the bigger board? Maybe 1942se is the better choice?

• @MaxPowers
    i’d go with Anniversary. It also has two start dates, so two different games in one.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m