• Question:

If US sent over only transports and lets say in sea zone 9, Germany sends 1 bomber to attack the transports, do all the transports instantly die since there are no other units to defend? Is there not a clause in the rules that say they can retreat?

I can’t find a clause in the rules about this, and I can only assume this is true. Anyone know officially?

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@mondueo The bomber must be attacking and defenders never get to retreat. So in effect the bomber keeps throwing dice without anything firing back. So you can enjoy yourself with that or just take them off!

However, your question is very pertinent. It reminded me of a new scenario I had recently where the US wiped out the Japanese fleet, leaving only transports. We decided the correct procedure was for the US to decide whether to press the attack or retreat, and they selected the latter. This saved my Japanese transports, but also saved the US fleet from my pre-prepared counter. So they were very lucky!

Of course, if we were right, then perhaps the US could insist on throwing dice to kill some transports before making the retreat decision.

Perhaps Panther will reply to also tell us whether we were correct not.

• @Private-Panic said in Ruling on transports and retreating:

… However, your question is very pertinent. It reminded me of a new scenario I had recently where the US wiped out the Japanese fleet, leaving only transports. We decided the correct procedure was for the US to decide whether to press the attack or retreat, and they selected the latter. This saved my Japanese transports, but also saved the US fleet from my pre-prepared counter. So they were very lucky!

Of course, if we were right, then perhaps the US could insist on throwing dice to kill some transports before making the retreat decision.

Perhaps Panther will reply to also tell us whether we were correct not.

Unfortunately you did not resolve this scenario correctly.

Once the US forces have eliminated all Japanese units with a defensive value, the defending transports are defenseless. Now the “Defenseless Transports” rule (page 17) applies - as it does in @mondueo 's scenario, too:

In a sea battle, if the defender has only transports remaining and the
    attacker still has units capable of attacking, the defending transports
    are all destroyed, along with their cargo.

The US don’t have the option to retreat, as the combat has already ended. There is nothing left to retreat from. See page 18, step 6

Condition A—Attacker and/or Defender Loses All Units
    Once all units that can either fire or retreat on one or both sides have been destroyed, the combat ends.
    If a player has combat units remaining along the battle strip, that player wins the combat.

The process of removing the defenseless transports is sometimes referred to as “autodestruction”.

HTH :-)

• @Panther Thanks old chap. Much appreciated.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m