How much memory (RAM) does your computer have?

• Customizer

How much memory (RAM) does your computer have?

(no, not hard drive space)

Some of the maps for TripleA have increased in size greatly, and I need to increase TripleA’s “maximum memory” limit to keep up.

This may sound stupid, and that would be because it is, but Java has a very weird and outdated way of determining how much memory a program can use.

Basically, I specify using a command in the .exe the “maximum” memory triplea can use.  However, if I specify it higher than your what your computer has, you will get an “out of memory” error.

If I specify it too low, then if triplea needs the memory and it doesn’t exist you will get a “java heap space” error.

Why on earth they can’t let me specify a “maximum” but then have that maximum be limited to your computer’s memory, is totally beyond me.
    (In an ideal world, you could specify a “target maximum” which would tell the GC when to start garbage collecting, as well as specifying a “absolute maximum” which could serve as a buffer until the GC gets it back down to the ‘target max’ or below.  And then both these numbers would be changed by Java to make sure they are both below your computer’s available ram, that way the damn GC will at least start GCing when it gets close to your computer’s max.)

Anyway, long story short, please tell me how much RAM you have on your system.

**Bonus points for also posting below and telling me how much “free” RAM is on your system (that is not being used by your OS, your music player, your instant messenger, and your torrent service, etc).  **
    You can check that out by opening up the task manager and then taking the “total ram” number you gave me above and then subtracting however much RAM your computer is using right now.

thx,
    veqryn

• Hi veqryn,

Physical RAM:

overall:            8088
    Into the cache: 5375
    available:        6241
    free:                901

• I have 6 GB of ram with usually 2.5-3.5 GB free.

Can play many recent games on the system, like Skyrim and Witcher 2, no problem.

I can’t see why I would have a problem with Triplea?  How much memory does it take?

• Customizer

Right now we use 700-800mb for the program, and then java needs another 50-200 in the background.

i would like to increase the max to 1gb, so we can run more advanced maps like TWW without any laggy feeling to them.

• @Veqryn:

Right now we use 700-800mb for the program, and then java needs another 50-200 in the background.

i would like to increase the max to 1gb, so we can run more advanced maps like TWW without any laggy feeling to them.

Personally, I don’t see a big deal in raising the cap to 1 GB- most computers sold in the last 4 years or so can handle that.  But I suppose some people could be using older computers.

• @Veqryn:

If I specify it too low, then if triplea needs the memory and it doesn’t exist you will get a “java heap space” error.

….maybe this will help you a little bit veqryn,

i have 8 GB Ram in my PC.

When i load a save Game, test somethings than sometimes after loading  the fourth or fifth save game, than the errors  “jave head space” occurs.
    Java takes normaly 950000 K. It looks for me that java or TripleA does not release respectively dont get free the memory.

• RAM:
    total:       4004
    cached:    1542
    available:  2804
    free:        1368

Win 7 /64bit after boot with only firewall, antivirus and browser running (and 32 system related services/processes).

It changes from time to time.
    now it is
    total:      4003
    cached:    836
    available: 2950
    free:      2175

• RAM
    Total: 6142
    Cached: 2343
    Available: 2459
    Free: 169

Note: I am running Triplea right now.

• Windows restricts the virtual address space of a user-mode 32-bit processes to 2GB * ( … in general )
    Which it has to share with any imported libraries ( kernel32.dll, user32.dll, etc. )

It would seem the amount of available ram has little to do with anything … because system memory is back by the page file.
    *edit: clarification: if you have 512MB of ram installed a process can still allocate 1 GB of memory … it just “pages”… pages to and from the hard disk as they are accessed.

Does java requires contiguous memory pages? ( which would be stupid )

• you can try setting the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag in the triplea.exe NT header

–-
    My computer came with 1 GB or ram installed
    I upgraded it to 3 GB
    I current using ~1.25GB

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m