• I’m sure this has been answered somewhere, but for the life of me, I can’t find it.
    What are the exact dimensions of the global map? I’m getting ready to build my gaming table, and want the board to fit nice and snug :)

• I haven’t taken a tape measure to the board, but its 70" x 32".

• @mrninjaz:

I’m getting ready to build my gaming table, and want the board to fit nice and snug :)

Looking forward to seeing pictures of it when it’s completed.

• If your game is like mine - you may want to plan for some way for your table to hold the board down. Mine pops up at the corners pretty bad. :(

Looking forward to seeing pictures here too. :)

• @Slacker:

If your game is like mine - you may want to plan for some way for your table to hold the board down. Mine pops up at the corners pretty bad. :(

Looking forward to seeing pictures here too. :)

A sheet of plexiglass should prevent that (and protect the board and remove any issues with creases where the folds are)

• @Rorschach:

A sheet of plexiglass should prevent that (and protect the board and remove any issues with creases where the folds are)

Yeah I’ve thought about that. Any idea where I could get a big enough piece that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg?

• @Slacker:

Yeah I’ve thought about that. Any idea where I could get a big enough piece that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg?

To give you an idea of the possible cost, the 48" x 96" x 1/16" sheet of acrylic I got to cover my table (not just the map) cost me about $100 Canadian (including the charge to cut it to the right size from the original stock), plus taxes and delivery fees.  I ordered it from a local plastics company.  But there are probably cheaper methods.

• It’s going to be a bit of a project. The table will not just be used for A&A, but also for Heroclix, Mechwarrior, and a couple other table top games. The latter use a 3’x3’ playing area, so I’m thinking about making a table that splits in half, when not being used for A&A.

• One more question for you folks that have A&A40, is there a difference in the scale of the pieces from the older games, or are they the same?

• I think they’re the same.

• I have a 4 x 8 ’ plexi glass sheet for one map that cost 80.00 dollars and a 3 x 6 ’ sheet for 60.00. bought them at Menards in those sizes. That was about 2 years ago or less. Use them on IL maps that I have. Worth the money. Pick up sheet put down different map. Some day I’ll make a permament table.

• @mrninjaz:

One more question for you folks that have A&A40, is there a difference in the scale of the pieces from the older games, or are they the same?

Mostly the same.  The British and German battleships are a bit larger than the earliest version of those pieces.  And there’s also the special case of the Stuka dive bomber, which was used (in a smaller version) in the earliest games as the German fighter piece, before the current fighter piece was introduced.  The Europe 1940 Stuka, which is correctly used as a tac bomber, is bigger than the one which was previously incorrectly used as a fighter.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m