G40 Balance Mod - Rules and Download

• Hey all. Proud to announce the release of G40 Balanced (Balance Mod). Below is the official ruleset.

Become a recognized member of the NerdHerd and support the content creators of G40 Balanced Mod and Path to Victory at https://www.patreon.com/nerd_herd.

Path to Victory Discord Server: https://discord.gg/kSbeKFa

G40 Balanced - Balance Mod

Original Game Credits: Bung, Veqryn

Mod Squad: Adam514 (co-originator and oracle), Deathbringer1974 (chief executive troll), dust (good at math), dss85 (playtester and game breaker), Gencre (general haha), redrum (XML high priest), Regularkid (co-originator and king of noobs), Young Grasshopper (topper goodwill ambassador)

REVISIONS

Revised Air Raid Rules: Fighters attack and defend at 2. Strategic and tactical bombers attack at 1.

Revised Capital Capture Rules: The capture of a player’s capital results in the plunder of that player’s PUs only the first time the capital is taken. Subsequent recapture of the same capital results in the player’s PUs being destroyed.

Revised Victory Conditions: If Germany is Allied control, an Axis victory in the Pacific requires 7 (rather than 6) Pacific VCs. If Japan is Allied control, an Axis victory in Europe requires 9 (rather than 8 ) Europe VCs.

New Unit - Marines: Cost 5; Attack at 1; Attack at 2 when involved with an amphibious assault; Defend at 2; No bonus from artillery; Can be loaded onto cruisers and battleships (1 to a ship).

Revised Bomber Cost: Strategic bombers now cost 14 PUs, rather than 12.

Note: During amphibious assaults, Battleships and Cruisers may bombard territories other than the one they unload their marines into.  Also during amphibious assaults, Marines attack at 2 even if they arrived over land (to join an amphibious assault by other ground units).  Kamikazes (by themselves) do not prevent and cannot be used against a marine amphibious assault that is from a different power’s cruiser/battleship.  Marines loaded in the combat movement phase must conduct amphibious assault in that same phase.
    Additional National Objectives

Germany

• 2 PUs if Romania, Yugoslavia, Albania, Bulgaria, Greece, and Crete are Axis or Pro-Axis controlled.
    • 5 PUs if there is at least one German land unit in either London (the United Kingdom) or Egypt. (This modifies Germany’s “Presence in Egypt” objective).

Russia

• 3 PUs if Russia is at war with European Axis, and there are no non-Russian Allied units in any originally Russian territory.
    • 3 PUs for each originally German, Italian, or Pro-Axis neutral territory that Russia controls in mainland Europe. (This modifies Russia’s “Spread of Communism” objective).
    • 2 PUs for each of the following Lend-Lease lanes that is “open” (i.e., the specified Sea Zone has no enemy warships and the specified territory is Allied controlled) when Russia is at war with European Axis beginning Round 3: (1) sz 125, Archangel ; (2) sz 80, Persia; (3) sz 5, Amur (This modifies Russia’s “Lend Lease” objective).  If Japan and Russia are not at war, then Japan can’t block the NO by putting a warship in sz 5.
    • An additional 2 PUs per each “open” Lend-Lease lane, when Russia is at war with European Axis, if Japan has also declared war on Russia.

Note: An Axis power may not move its units into originally Russian territory unless that Axis power is at war with Russia. Also, when not at war with Japan, Russia may not move its units into any non-Russian Allied territory in Asia, other than Syria, Trans-Jordan, Iraq, Persia, NorthWest Persia, and East Persia.  The National Objective for Russia’s first capture of Berlin has been removed.

Japan

• 5 PUs if Axis controls Dutch New Guinea, New Guinea, New Britain and Solomon Islands. (This modifies Japan’s “Strategic Perimeter” objective).
    • 5 PUs if Axis controls Midway, Wake Island, Guam.
    • 3 PUs if Japan controls Iwo Jima and Okinawa and is at war with the USA

USA

• 5 PUs if USA is at war and Allies control Midway, Wake Island, Guam.
    • 5 PUs if USA is at war and Allies control Marshall Islands, Caroline Islands, Paulau Island, Marianas.
    • 5 PUs if Allies control at least 2 of: Normandy Bordeaux, Holland Belgium, Southern France, and USA has at least one land unit in any of these territories.
    • 5 PUs if Allies control Morocco, Algeria, and Tunisia, and USA has at least one land unit in any of these territories.

China

• 3 PUs if Allies control Yunnan, Szechwan, Burma, and India. (This modifies China’s “Burma Road” objective).
    • At the start of China’s turn, a Chinese infantry is spawned in each non-coastal Chinese territory under Axis control that is not garrisoned by at least one Axis land unit (i.e., infantry, marine, mech infantry, artillery, or armor). These “guerrillas” engage in combat wherever they are spawned and may not be moved until China’s next turn.

UK

• 3 PUs if UK Europe controls all its original territories. (This modifies UK’s “Original Territories” objective).
    • 3 PUs if Allies control at least 2 of: Sicily, Sardinia, Greece, Southern Italy, and Allies have at least one land unit in any of these territories.
    • 3 PUs if there are no enemy submarines in the Atlantic, excluding szs 112 and 125-127.
    • 3 PUs if Malta, Crete, and Cyprus are Allied or Pro-Allied controlled.
    • 3 PUs for UK Pacific when at war with the Japanese if: (1) British control West India and either Egypt or South Africa; and (2) there are no enemy submarines in the western half of the Indian Ocean (sz71,…,sz81).
    • 3 PUs for UK Pacific when at war with the Japanese if Malaya and Kwantung are Allied controlled. (This modifies UK Pacific’s “Malaya and Kwantung” objective.

Italy

• 3 PUs if Malta, Cyprus, and Crete are Axis controlled.

ANZAC

• 3 PUs if ANZAC is at war with the Japanese and Dutch New Guinea, New Guinea, New Britain and Solomon Islands are controlled by the Allies (other than the Dutch). (This modifies ANZAC’s “Strategic Islands” objective).
    • 3 PUs if ANZAC is at war with the Japanese and the Solomon Islands, Gilbert Islands, Fiji, and Samoa are Allied controlled.
    • 3 PUs if ANZAC is at war with the Japanese, controls all of its original territories, and Malaya is Allied controlled. (This modifies ANZAC’s “Control Original And Malaya” objective).

VICHY FRANCE RULE SET

The following rule-set simulates the circumstances and strategic consequences of the Franco-German Armistice, and is intended for play with the G40 Balance Mod.

Game Conditions for Franco-German Armistice

At the beginning of France’s turn, if the following conditions are met, the Franco-German Armistice will occur:

1. Axis has control of both France and Normandy Bordeaux;
    2. Axis has never controlled Southern France; and
    3. There are no non-French, Allied land units in Southern France.

Game Consequences of Franco-German Armistice

French Territorial Control: At the beginning of France’s first turn in which Armistice conditions are met, all originally French territories not already under Axis control immediately change ownership to Pro-Axis Neutrals, except: (1) French Equatorial Africa; (2) New Hebrides; (2) any French territories containing non-French allied land units.

Any non-French allied air units in Vichy-controlled territory are destroyed upon conversion of the territory to Vichy control.

With the exception of Southern France (see discussion of “Zone Libere” below), Vichy French territory operates the same way as other Pro-Axis Neutral territory. An Axis player may capture Vichy French territory and commandeer its forces by moving a land unit into the territory during the non-combat phase of his turn.

Fly-over restrictions applicable to other Neutral territories do not apply to Vichy French territory.

Fleet at Toulon: In addition to the change in French territorial control, the Armistice changes control of the the French fleet in sz 93, from French to Pro-Axis neutral. The Vichy French fleet maintains a strictly defensive posture. It may not be moved. It may not be captured by the Axis. The fleet is immediately destroyed if any power, other than the Free French, occupies Southern France

“Zone Libre”: Any Axis occupation of Southern France following the Armistice results in the scuttling of the Vichy French Fleet at Toulon and the disbandment of all remaining Vichy French forces. These forces are removed at the end of the Axis player’s turn in which the occupation of Southern France takes place. Any formerly Vichy French forces that were previously commandeered by the Axis are unaffected by this change.

Armistice’s Effect on National Objectives: Following the armistice, Southern France is considered Axis-controlled for purposes of Italy’s “Roman Empire” objective. Otherwise, the Vichy France arrangement has no impact on National Objectives. Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco must still be directly occupied by Germany or Italy to achieve Italy’s “North Africa” objective. Japanese occupation of French Indo China still negates Japan’s “Trade With America” objective.

Liberation of France: The Allied liberation of France effectively terminates the Armistice. Any territory and forces still under Vichy French control (including any surviving fleet in sz 93) revert back to Free French control. The Vichy French forces in the Southern France and sz 93 will also revert back if Southern France is liberated by the Free French.

Finally, here is a link to National Objective cards made by Cyanight for tabletop games of Balance Mod. Enjoy! http://www.artscow.com/ClientDesigner/Designer.aspx?DesignId=164810677. (This link is only viewable with internet explorer).

national objective.png

• This post is deleted!

• Kid, in case this can help someone else, I want to say that my “maps” folder in c:\users\yourname\triplea\maps was empty.  I did a search for “World War II Global” in windows explorer to quickly find the folder, copied the contents of your zip folder into it, and opening TripleA it looks like it is all working for me for the first time (even the Objectives tab showing which NO’s are active, in a current balanced mod game - that didn’t work before - whatever I did)

So mainly just posting because I’m not sure about the “users” location of the Triple A G40 folder thing….

• '19 '18

Yep, I had to search for it, too.

I just opened a regular G40 game 2nd Edition and get the following errors:

triplea.engine.version.bin:1.8.0.9
    WARNING [AWT-EventQueue-0] prefs -> Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0x80000002. Windows RegCreateKeyEx(…) returned error code 5.
    Triggers: No trigger attachment for:Russians with name: triggerAttachment_Russians_2_Persia_Lend_Lease_Lane
    objective.properties attachment does not exist: objectiveAttachment_Italians_3_North_Africa_Control
    Triggers: No trigger attachment for:Russians with name: triggerAttachment_Russians_4_Increased_Lend_Lease_War_With_Japanese
    Triggers: No trigger attachment for:British with name: triggerAttachment_British_3_No_Enemy_Submarines
    objective.properties attachment does not exist: objectiveAttachment_Germans_7_Control_of_Balkans
    objective.properties attachment does not exist: objectiveAttachment_British_2_Southern_Europe_Beach_Head
    objective.properties attachment does not exist: objectiveAttachment_Americans_9_Vital_Forward_Bases
    Triggers: No trigger attachment for:Americans with name: triggerAttachment_Americans_7_North_Africa_Beach_Head
    objective.properties attachment does not exist: objectiveAttachment_Italians_5_Control_Convoy_Lanes
    Triggers: No trigger attachment for:Russians with name: triggerAttachment_Russians_7_Great_Patriotic_War
    objective.properties attachment does not exist: objectiveAttachment_British_4_Control_Convoy_Lanes
    Triggers: No trigger attachment for:British with name: triggerAttachment_UK_Pacific_4_No_Enemy_Submarines
    objective.properties attachment does not exist: objectiveAttachment_Americans_8_Pacific_Airfields
    Triggers: No trigger attachment for:Americans with name: triggerAttachment_Americans_6_Western_Europe_Beach_Head
    Triggers: No trigger attachment for:Russians with name: triggerAttachment_Russians_3_Siberia_Lend_Lease_Lane
    objective.properties attachment does not exist: objectiveAttachment_Japanese_5_Pacific_Airfields
    objective.properties attachment does not exist: objectiveAttachment_ANZAC_3_Pacific_Supply_Lines
    Triggers: No trigger attachment for:Russians with name: triggerAttachment_Russians_2_Persia_Lend_Lease_Lane
    objective.properties attachment does not exist: objectiveAttachment_Italians_3_North_Africa_Control
    Triggers: No trigger attachment for:Russians with name: triggerAttachment_Russians_4_Increased_Lend_Lease_War_With_Japanese
    Triggers: No trigger attachment for:British with name: triggerAttachment_British_3_No_Enemy_Submarines
    objective.properties attachment does not exist: objectiveAttachment_Germans_7_Control_of_Balkans
    objective.properties attachment does not exist: objectiveAttachment_British_2_Southern_Europe_Beach_Head
    objective.properties attachment does not exist: objectiveAttachment_Americans_9_Vital_Forward_Bases
    Triggers: No trigger attachment for:Americans with name: triggerAttachment_Americans_7_North_Africa_Beach_Head
    objective.properties attachment does not exist: objectiveAttachment_Italians_5_Control_Convoy_Lanes
    Triggers: No trigger attachment for:Russians with name: triggerAttachment_Russians_7_Great_Patriotic_War
    objective.properties attachment does not exist: objectiveAttachment_British_4_Control_Convoy_Lanes
    Triggers: No trigger attachment for:British with name: triggerAttachment_UK_Pacific_4_No_Enemy_Submarines
    objective.properties attachment does not exist: objectiveAttachment_Americans_8_Pacific_Airfields
    Triggers: No trigger attachment for:Americans with name: triggerAttachment_Americans_6_Western_Europe_Beach_Head
    Triggers: No trigger attachment for:Russians with name: triggerAttachment_Russians_3_Siberia_Lend_Lease_Lane
    objective.properties attachment does not exist: objectiveAttachment_Japanese_5_Pacific_Airfields
    objective.properties attachment does not exist: objectiveAttachment_ANZAC_3_Pacific_Supply_Lines

• MrRoboto: the java error is harmless. Its caused by the optional “objectives panel” download. It has zero impact on the playability of the regular game. It happens because regular G40 doesn’t have all the objectives that are specified in objectives.properties file.  You can just close it and play on.

Hope that helps. :)

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

so excellent.  :-)

• Were any other PC users unable to unzip the files? I’m getting an error saying I need to ensure the directory doesn’t already exist and that the path entered is valid…

Here is the path…  C:\Program Files (x86)\TripleA\triplea_1_8_0_9\maps\World War II Global

• triplea.engine.version.bin:1.8.0.9
    WARNING [AWT-EventQueue-0] prefs -> Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0x80000002. Windows RegCreateKeyEx(…) returned error code 5.

I’m getting this…

• @The:

Were any other PC users unable to unzip the files? I’m getting an error saying I need to ensure the directory doesn’t already exist and that the path entered is valid…

Here is the path…   C:\Program Files (x86)\TripleA\triplea_1_8_0_9\maps\World War II Global

Path to what? Just unzip the folder on your desktop and manually drag and drop the three items into the maps/global folder

• Gamer, when u run the mod, are you seeing all the objectives in the objectives panel?

• Yes - but I guess I was opening a BM 1.0 game
    OK, I closed out, opened the 2.0 starting file, no problem
    Closed out, opened a 1.0 game and that’s when I get it.  So I guess after I am done playing the 1.0 game with nerquen it won’t happen….

• If you are in the midst of a forum game, and update your TripleA to reflect the changes, whilst your opponent(s) has not, will they be able to play the save file now operating with the new specs?

• No. Feel free to download the mod saved game. But it will have no impact on your other saved games (the rules are coded into the saved game files). Since the changes are minor, you could agree with your opponent to simply observe the new rules, using edit mode where necessary. I have one ongoing league game, where i have done that. The others i’m just doing the older version.

• Oh, Shrike, you’re the one game where i agreed to play with the new rules. So you know that. haha

• @Gamerman01:

Yes - but I guess I was opening a BM 1.0 game
    OK, I closed out, opened the 2.0 starting file, no problem
    Closed out, opened a 1.0 game and that’s when I get it.  So I guess after I am done playing the 1.0 game with nerquen it won’t happen….

Correct. The reason you’re seeing the harmless java error when you launch the older mod is because the “Balkans” objective is new, so your objectives panel is looking for an objective that doesn’t exist in the current game. (also, i fixed a typo in the name of one of the Italian objectives).

• '14 Customizer

For anyone who wants cards for the National Objectives with Balanced Mod version 2.0

Click on the link below to order your set through Artscow.

http://www.artscow.com/ClientDesigner/Designer.aspx?DesignId=164810677

• this is awesome. thanks cyan

• @regularkid:

Russia

• An additional 2 PUs per each “open” Lend-Lease lane, when Russia is at war with European Axis, if Japan has also declared war on Russia.

I’m not quite sure how this works. So if Russia declares war on Japan, Russia doesn’t get the 2 PUs bonus? But doesn’t Japan declare war on Russia the following round, if Russia just declared war? So you get the 2 UPs per lane the following round?

Or does it mean you only get the 2 PUs bonus if Japan declares war first to Russia?

Cheers

• @regularkid:

UK

• 3 PUs if Malta, Crete, and Cyprus are Allied or Pro-Allied controlled.
      Italy
    • 3 PUs if Malta, Cyprus, and Crete are Axis controlled.

I’ve printed out the balanced mod rules (for tabletop games) and thought the NO for Italy belonged to the UK, because the word ‘‘Italy’’ isn’t bold. I’m not trying to be a wiseacre (not sure if its the right word  :lol:), but it can be confusing at first sight! Just saying…  :-)

Cheers

• I’m going to play my first BM game this weekend (tabletop game). Forgive me if I ask something stupid, but I have a few questions after reading the rules and I have not played a TripleA BM game yet.

1. Just to be absolutely sure, if the Franco-German Armistice occurs, Germany doesn’t collect income from Southern France?
    2. Do all French units turn to Free French Forces following the Franco-German Armistice, with the exception of the French units in the Vichy France territories and the fleet at Toulon?

Cheers

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m