New Axis & Allies Global War Variant (free map)

• Almost a year ago I was looking for a bigger playing board - ideally I wanted something that combined the look of both the A&A Europe and Pacific maps but in a whole world persepctive. Anyway I found a map on Axis&Allies.org made by the chap - Positronica. I downloaded it and there it sat on my computer for about a year while I played out a full A&A mini’s campaign using Europe and Pacific maps.

Anyway, two weeks ago I though our playing group needed a change and so I printed out positronica’s map on 20+ peices of paper and tiled them all together. The consenus was that the map was fun to play on but too small and too crowded. So I took I thought, “What would make a good sized playing surface?” How about a 8 foot x 4 foot map…

After some photoshopping and a trip to a local sign printer we now have what I consider one of if not the world best playing board for Axis and Allies.

See for yourself -

As you can see the map is wonderfully large! We used Positronica’s set up and we arn’t sure if it’s balanced or not - the Axis won but it might have been more to the ineptness of the Allies. What makes this map intersting -a breath of fresh air really, is that it makes fleets very important, and the sheer size and number of the territories makes standard stratagy ineffective.

The German tank army did 14 hits on the first round - ouch! Did I mention that I was playing Russia and we lost… Anyway for you viewing pleasure.

Cheers -Dave

XXL1.jpg
    XXL2.jpg
    XXL5.jpg

• @Marquis:

We used Positronica’s set up and we arn’t sure if it’s balanced or not - the Axis won but it might have been more to the ineptness of the Allies.

We have played 4 games and found the Axis to be far too powerfull.  Our current guess to try and balance the game is to remove 2 German tanks about 100 IPCs of Japanese Navy and Airforce.

I would be very interested in other peoples opinion of balance.  Perhaps we are stuck in some sort of ‘group think’.

Once balanced, I think this map will be the best of all A&A variants.  It is just awsome and well thought out with the navy bases, convoy boxes, and airbases.  I think just the initial set up needs to be modified.

Craig

• Can we get a larger picture?

also where is the photoshop file? can you make a link to it using some file uploading site?

need the player aids as well.

Thanks! I will print out a copy but id like the final version rather than an older version.

• The man asked for a larger picture so here it is:

As for the orgional photoshop file - it looks like the link at the start of this tread is dead - I downloaded it before it went dead and have it on my computer - I’m working on getting it posted and will put a link up at that time.  I’ll also post the player cards.  As for the “updated” version that takes up pages 5-42 of this thread - I have no connection with that - infact I’ll just say that I really didn’t like the work done on that particular version.  The orgional is waht I’ve got and what I printed.

Larger picture -

XXL6.jpg
    XXL7.jpg

• If you (or anyone) can post a vector file of the map you’re gonna be popular.
    (You’ll get lots of karma overnight.)

The project has a large following (especially under deepblue’s work) but has stalled as of a few months ago.
    As previous posts indicated the community is keen to continue the work.

• I have to say that that is an older file because the latter files had the ocean lines in ‘dots’

i specifically remember alot of drafts going on after that point where he added ports.

• I must say that I really liked where this project WAS going.

I really want a vector version of this map as they scale-up and print-out very well.  I call also edit the map for larger fonts as required.

Is there any hope to get this map in a vector format?  Thanks.

Ah I like what I see,

That is Positronicas Original map, You can tell, look at the German Possesions in Afrika

Any way, I like you thoughts on this map, Thank you

As for your thoughts for set up, If you look real close it basically Mirrors Pacific and Europe Games

I do not think that taking 2 Tanks and 100 pts of Jap Navy away will help.
    If you are using Posi’s set up charts, you should be using his IPC values also. the allies make WAY more then the Axis. I have played around 25 games on this map now and itr plays pretty even, The axis have won almost half of our games.
    Besides the Axis should steam roll the allies for a couple of turns, then get thrown back, It’s all about the Dice. :p

I am interested in what rules you have used.?
    If you are interested I will post what rules we use.

I have that map also printed by a local printer, and what a outstanding investment, set up charts and map all less the $80. My map is 15 sq ft. smaller then yours, but larger then Posi’s Demensions

I am working on this map but my map making skills suck and I do not have much free time. Too busy playing and not designing.  :evil:

OK,
    I just got off of the phone with My computer literate friend. I was speaking with him and he is on vacation all this week and i am off on Friday

I spoke to him about vectoring the file, he knows how and has all the proper programs to fix and release this map. Look for a new map on Sat November 3rd. It will be awesome

DeathsHead

• yes please get a hold of anybody who:

1. has a vector based version from the primitive RAR file that it originally had and has already converted it to photoshop

2. has the latter version of the map ( with the dotted sea zone borders) and the player aids and rules

• @Deaths:

I do not think that taking 2 Tanks and 100 pts of Jap Navy away will help.
    If you are using Posi’s set up charts, you should be using his IPC values also. the allies make WAY more then the Axis. I have played around 25 games on this map now and itr plays pretty even, The axis have won almost half of our games.
    Besides the Axis should steam roll the allies for a couple of turns, then get thrown back, It’s all about the Dice. :p

I am interested in what rules you have used.?
    If you are interested I will post what rules we use.

We are playing 100% positronica’s original map, rules, and IPC values as posted in the start of this topic.  I’d love to play you (Deathhead) to see what you do with the allies.  Your play experience must be very different than the games we have played.  We’ll be at the Board Game Geek Convention in Dallas November 15 to 18.  That would be cool if you were able to make it.

Craig

Send me the $ and I’ll be there.

lol

• @Deaths:

I spoke to him about vectoring the file, he knows how and has all the proper programs to fix and release this map. Look for a new map on Sat November 3rd. It will be awesome
    DeathsHead

Cool. Good luck.

Might not be straight forward due to lossy JPEG, graphics and other art stuff the map happen to have.
    So it won’t be very crisp straight away. How long it’ll take to clean up depend how configurable his software is.
    You’ll probably have to redo all the text.

Oh yeah you’ll get my karma when you kick start the project again.

• Ok here’s what I know about the file (otherwise know as the digital version of the map), it was indeed a JPEG and about 60" x 30" at 100 dpi.  I used photoshop to make it 300 dpi and 96" x 48".  then I added the industrial complexes and aa guns on the map then made it into a PDF.  The PDF is 17mb.  If anyone wants this PDF email me - subject XXL map at AAR@onwordboundbooks.com. I can send you that map and the player aids and the short rules and if you are into it my version of the Commander Cards.

Until I get someplace to host the file for download that’s the best I can do.  Please be aware that some “free” email services cap your download ability - so keep that in mind when requesting the map.

Last night we played form 6:00am to 1:30am and the game could have gone another 7 hours…a very good game indeed!

Cheers -Dave

• you can use mediafire to host
    no annoying rapidshare limit

wow photoshop 300 dpi and 96" x 48" ?
    does that need lots of RAM?

Made some good progress today, May take a little longer then Sat the 3rd but we are trying

• ok  great :lol:

Ok this is my first time putting something on Media Fire. So Bear with me plz

I tried to Down load the latest Updated map but it says the files were not available for pretty much every map. So I had to pull out the disk that I had Made to print this map with, and thats a year old or more. Lucky I found it

This is my first draft from Posi’s Original Post. So alot of the changes that I have made were from Suggestions and Points from the updated changes that were made.

There are a few obvious changes, but the majority was from Air bases and Navel Bases. There is also a movement of a couple of Sea Zones and their borders. 
    The IPC values are not set yet  but they are close.

Here’s the Link

http://www.mediafire.com/?4ep0ezl1mvo

Enjoy

I realize there are spelling errors still, But if you would kindly re let me know what they were, I will try to fix Them. I have to copy the same letter from another spot from same country and paste over the original. It is time consuming so try not to be too picky.

Azores are a neutral island w/ AB

• ok i finally got a decent resolution copy. I wish you still had the one that had the dotted sea zones. it had lots of extras. But beggars cant be choosers

Surprised no feed back yet    :?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m