A few questions to ask. a&a europe 1940

• @SgtPepper:

Well, do we count in Berlin,Warsaw and Rome in 7 victory cities that axis must control in order to win?

Every Victory City on the board counts, even ones you begin with.
    You need to hold the required number for a full turn from when you captured the last one. If Germany held 7 by the end of  G7, for example, then you need to hold the same number until the beginning of G8. If the Allies capture one or more in the meantime, then Victory is invalid.

• @SgtPepper:

Also if I attack a territory with an infantry and a defender has a tank, an interceptor and a bomber, will aircraft participate in defending?
    2. If i use bombers, will enemy bomber participate in defending?
    3. May defender surrender, or just his aircraft? Or there is no any chance?

1. All units defend.
    2. Do you mean in a Strategic Bombing Raid (SBR)? If so, no.
    If you mean in a regular Attack, then yes. Defending  Bombers only hit on a roll of one.
    3. No units surrender. Defending units are all  eliminated or the attacker fails and loses his units or decides to retreat, if permissible. (Amphibious attacking units cannot retreat, but have to fight to the death.)
    Please ask again, if unclear. Why did you ask about surrender? What did you mean?

• I’ll add a little to wittman’s response above if I may.

As he says all units defend, so if a tank, fighter (you call it an interceptor?) and bomber are in a territory that is attacked by land and/or air then all the units in that territory participate in the resulting combat. This is regardless of whether you are attacking with land forces only, air forces only, or a combined land and air force.

Fighters can be used as interceptors in the case of a Strategic Bombing Raid (SBR). An SBR is an attack on a factory, air base or naval base, not on the territory nor units within it. However the defender can decide to launch his fighters to intercept the attacking air force in the event of an SBR, in which case these defending intercepting fighters (and only these) take part in combat.

Turning to the surrender question. Again merely to add to wittman’s reply. The concept of defenders surrendering does not exist in the game. The defenders’ only option is to keep fighting for as long as they are being attacked - i.e. until they are wiped out, until the attackers are wiped out, or the attacker retreats. Attackers may retreat at the end of any attack and defence full combat roll.

• Thanks again! Everything is clear.
    Well, retreat is better word than surrender and a fighter is better than an interceptor.
    A&A forum improves eng skills.  :-D

• My friend was really angry today then he realized that ships may not bombard shore without amphibious assault.
    Is it right?

• Yes - you are right. One ship may bombard for each sea-borne land unit, provided there is no naval battle in the sz.

• May fighters attack all kind of units? May bombers bomb fighters? (I mean attack territory only with fighters on it and may they cause damage during routine battle?)Do air units attack only once in battle or every…part of a battle?

• @SgtPepper:

May fighters attack all kind of units?

Yes, except submerged subs.

@SgtPepper:

May bombers bomb fighters? (I mean attack territory only with fighters on it and may they cause damage during routine battle?)

Bombers, like fighters, can attack all types of units, except submerged subs. So yes - they can attack fighters.

@SgtPepper:

Do air units attack only once in battle or every…part of a battle?

All air, ground or naval units attack / defend in every dice roll, except a couple of exceptions - AAA or coastal bombardments. Just edited to add the second of those, so if I have forgotten any others I am sure someone else will correct me.

Hope you and your friend are enjoying your game SgtPepper?

• Everything is clear, however, if all enemy air units are destroyed, then they have no chances to win, since infantry may not cause damage to air units I believe

• I mean if I attack with 1 bomber and 1 infantry and defender has 1 bomber and 1.infantry and he decides to take his bomber away as I cause 1 damage… he has no chance to win then.
    Land units may not attack air units that what I mean…simply
    Well, we enjoyed the match, axis captured Ussr and Italy got Cairo.
    Thanks for asking. :)

• @SgtPepper:

Everything is clear, however, if all enemy air units are destroyed, then they have no chances to win, since onfantry may not cause damage to air units I believe

Infantry (such as Artillery, Mech Infantry, Tanks and surface Warships) can hit air units. Submarines are the only combat unit that cannot hit air units.

@SgtPepper:

I mean if I attack with 1 bomber and 1 infantry and defender has 1 bomber and 1.infantry and he decides to take his bomber away as I cause 1 damage… he has no chance to win then.

Sure they can.

When the defender has only the infantry left, this infantry can (with some luck) wipe out the attacking bomber and infantry (assuming the attacker does not score a further hit), unless the attacker does not retreat retreats.

• @SgtPepper:

Everything is clear, however, if all enemy air units are destroyed, then they have no chances to win, since infantry may not cause damage to air units I believe

@SgtPepper:

I mean if I attack with 1 bomber and 1 infantry and defender has 1 bomber and 1.infantry and he decides to take his bomber away as I cause 1 damage… he has no chance to win then.

Land units can hit air units in exactly the same way as air units can hit land units, so in your example the defender can still win.

To attempt to summarise what units can hit what:

• air can hit air, land & naval
    • land can hit air & land
    • naval can hit air & naval (and also land in coastal bombardment)

To take it further, the defender still wins, in the sense that he retains the territory, even if he loses both his bomber and his infantry, if the attacker has also lost his infantry. Only land units can “take” territories. So if the attacker only has air left he does not take the territory. A land unit has to remain in the territory that was attacked at the end of combat in order to “take” it.

Edit: I see Panther put up a reply while I was typing mine. Panther is our “Rules Deputy” and the best source of accurate answers to rules questions. Although I am unsure whether in his final sentence he means “unless the attacker does retreat”, rather than “does not” in the sense that if the attacker retreats the defender won’t wipe out both his units? At least that is what I think he means. :-)

• @SgtPepper:

Well, we enjoyed the match, axis captured Ussr and Italy got Cairo.
    Thanks for asking. :)

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. It’s a great game and this forum is full of expert and rookie players who are happy to share and learn with you. At some point you might want to look into downloading the “triple a” game s/w that allows you to play the game against AI. Or you can play against other members of the forum on these boards.

Enjoy the journey! :-)

• @Private:

Although I am unsure whether in his final sentence he means “unless the attacker does retreat”, rather than “does not” in the sense that if the attacker retreats the defender won’t wipe out both his units? At least that is what I think he means. :-)

You are right - this happens when a German tries to be accurate in English… sometimes there is a struggle with negations ;-)
    Anyway I edited my above posting to be clear on this subject! Thank you for bringing it up.

• Gott in Himmel, Panther, since I only know about two words of German I can only bow down in awe at your English language skills! :-D

Us Brits just have it too easy. We sit back and let America turn English into the global language. Thanks Yanks! :-D

• Thanks for the answers, however the rule is very odd. How can infantry take down a strategic bomber? :)

• @SgtPepper:

Thanks for the answers, however the rule is very odd. How can infantry take down a strategic bomber? :)

You’re right, it’s quite unrealistic.  In terms of pure infantrymen, meaning soldiers on foot armed with personal weapons rather than soldiers who are serving heavy weapons, it could be done today using a man-portable surface-to-air missile launcher (as long as the bomber wasn’t flying very high) – but in WWII the only practical method I can think of would be for the infantrymen to wait for the bomber to land and then to launch a ground attack against it with rifles and grenades…a method which naturally is of no use in A&A when a bomber is attacking one of your own territories.

I’m disregarding here the scene in the 1954 movie Hell and High Water in which the ragtag crew of Richard Widmark’s submarine (a salvaged WWII Japanese vessel) shoots down a B-29 bomber (a phony one being flown by Chinese Communists who want to frame the US for an atomic attack they’re about to launch) just after its takeoff, using only about a dozen submachine guns and a single deck gun.  In a nod to credibility, Widmark tells his men before the takeoff that the bomber’s heavy load of fuel is going to keep it low over the water, and that he wants “to see every gun in action.”  They succeed in crippling one of the engines…and almost get themselves nuked in the process when the plane crashes and the plane’s atomic bomb (evidently armed at the time of takeoff, for reasons which are never stated) explodes.  Great fun to watch, but rather improbable.

• Yes, old good Hollywood films…
    By the way, I didn’t know where to express surprise about Moscow being the capital in a&a 1914 so I write it here.

• @SgtPepper:

By the way, I didn’t know where to express surprise about Moscow being the capital in a&a 1914 so I write it here.

Good catch – I didn’t realize that Moscow’s periodic on-again/off-again status as a capital was on its “off” setting during most of WWI.  Moscow apparently gained its status as an imperial capital under Ivan III, lost it in 1712, regained it in 1728, lost it again in 1732, then became the Soviet capital in 1918.  This kind of flip-flop isn’t unique in Russian history: the imperial capital at the time of Nicolas II was called Saint Petersburg when WWI broke out, was renamed Petrograd (for anti-German reasons) a couple of months later, was re-renamed Leningrad after the 1917 Revolution, and was re-re-renamed Saint Petersburg after the fall of the Soviet regime.  The name of Tsaritsyn / Stanlingrad / Volgograd got similarly reshuffled for similar political reaons, as parodied in an old joke about an elderly veteran of the Red Army who’s interviewed by a reporter as part of the annual May Day parade sometime after Khrushchev’s de-Stalinization program got underway.  Asked by the reporter to talk about the medals he wears, the veteran points to some of them and says, “These decorations were awarded to me for my service in the great Battle of Volgograd, our heroic 1943 victory against the fascist invaders.  I’m especially proud of this particular one here – it was personally presented to me by our national leader, Comrade Volgin himself!”

• As a Russian I am impressed by your knowledge of our history. Bravo!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m