G40 Victory Objectives & Victory Tokens

• '14

split it in half? 0.5 for each board? or make every objective worth 2 and you can split up objectives that include both boards to equal 1 token for each board. Thoughts? I think it does because it keeps the US from focusing on Japan for a token while leaving Germany free to build theirs. I know i like them carriers and the odd Battleship for Germany.

• Sponsor

@wartorn:

split it in half? 0.5 for each board? or make every objective worth 2 and you can split up objectives that include both boards to equal 1 token for each board. Thoughts? I think it does because it keeps the US from focusing on Japan for a token while leaving Germany free to build theirs. I know i like them carriers and the odd Battleship for Germany.

I don’t think I wan’t to give multiple points or less points depending on the objective. I would rather keep it at 1 point for every objective and possibly add 2 more objectives making it 10 total per side.

Axis
    The Axis powers have made 3 successful convoy disruptions from 3 separate convoy zones within the same game round

Allies
    There are no Italian or German warships on the board

I like that, gonna modify the list now.

• Sponsor

@barney:

Good Action YG!

It’s definitely a lot of fun creating new ways to play the game!

Thanks Barney, I’m very excited about this development.

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

Finally! A system to determine victory that the people in my playgroup would get behind.

My suggestion, keep it simple. 1 token per Victory Objective. It’s just less complicated to score, compare hockey or soccer, to a game like basketball.

The current VC system seems busted and this could be a really solid alternative. The best thing it has going for it is that one line about whoever has more “at the end of the night.”

That is what’s needed. No sudden death. No TKO. No autocall. No need to play for 4 days.

This is what my players want I think. A simple way to determine the Victor in a single session.

A simple point system. Genius

My other suggestion, whatever the number of tokens, it should just be addition, not subtraction. You get points/tokens for your side. You don’t take em away from the enemy, or steal them. This is again for simplicty.

Two piles or stacks of tokens. A pile for each side. Without a bunch of chips changing hands all the time. Just straight forward, positive ways to win.

I really like it. The number of total objectives or specific objectives, doesn’t matter so much to me as the general concept. Since this could be used for all A&A boards, and not just G40.

Well done dude  :-D

Ps. You could maybe print an objectives score card, on a 8.5x11 sheet of paper, like with columns. Then make a hash or an X in pencil, like if you were playing cricket in darts or scoring any game like that. Or laminate it and use actual tokens. something like that would be more practical for me than individual objectives printed at the playing card size. But of course I’m down for decks as well. Also, again if this works for G40, could work for the other games too like 42.2 especially, which also has a somewhat busted VC win problem of the same sort G40 has currently. Victory Tokens could give a better way to call the game, or resolve it at the players pace.

They can choose a total number of points, or a time to call it, and just go by that, instead of trying to puzzle out who has “the edge” at the end of the night. Or forcing continuations, concessions, or undecided matches, because of the oob VC system falling short. Tokens just seem like a novel alternative. I would like to try it out

• Sponsor

Thank you for your support Black Elk, i’m excited for tomorrow’s game when we try it for the first time. What do you think of the entire list of Global victory objectives at this point? would you be able to create the victory objectives list for 42.5? I never play that game but I’m sure it must have the same victory condition problem like you said.

@Black_Elk:

Ps. You could maybe print an objectives score card, on a 8.5x11 sheet of paper, like with columns. Then make a hash or an X in pencil, like if you were playing cricket in darts or scoring any game like that. Or laminate it and use actual tokens.

I agree, I’m gonna design a chart to track them rather than the card deck idea, or maybe I’ll do both… IDK

@Black_Elk:

They can choose a total number of points, or a time to call it, and just go by that, instead of trying to puzzle out who has “the edge” at the end of the night. Or forcing continuations, concessions, or undecided matches, because of the oob VC system falling short. Tokens just seem like a novel alternative. I would like to try it out

Sounds like the last hour of our gatherings for sure.

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

Right now everything listed works for 1942.2 and AA50 and older games. How easy some of them are to achieve might be debatable. The objective to take Washington for example, is fairly impossible on any board. But seems like it’s worth having just for completeness. I’m not sure there is necessarily a hard limit to the number of potential objectives/tokens, probably the question becomes whether one side or the other can consistently get more tokens in the average session time. If that proves the case, then I would just add more potential conditions over time. Proof of concept, and if it works go from there.

• Sponsor

Modifications made today due to our playtest…

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

My only problem…

When do the tokens get counted?

For example, it is likely the Axis will have more tokens in round 4, 5, and 6 than the allies.  Even though they momentum may have shifted to the allies.

How do you take that into account?  And then the obvious, Japan or Germany move to get 1 or 2 more points, and then say GAME because they have more tokens, without the opportunity for the allies to respond.

• Sponsor

@Gargantua:

My only problem…

When do the tokens get counted?

For example, it is likely the Axis will have more tokens in round 4, 5, and 6 than the allies. Even though they momentum may have shifted to the allies.

How do you take that into account? And then the obvious, Japan or Germany move to get 1 or 2 more points, and then say GAME because they have more tokens, without the opportunity for the allies to respond.

That’s a good question G, and one that I don’t think I can answer completely because…

1. Some players play without a time frame, you know… the young cats that play until the sun comes up, or when they’re just too drunk and tired to go on.

2. Some players have the space and ability to keep their games setup over long periods of time, they’re the ones that can truly get a surrender from their opponent on day 3 or 4.

3. Some players can’t leave the game setup, so they start early in the morning and would be lucky to finish 10 rounds before they have to get home to their wife and kids.

The 3rd explanation is more like us, and we only had one play test so far. In that game it took 6 rounds before a token was awarded and it ended up being the only one gained. I have taken a hard stand on this victory condition stuff because quite frankly, I’m sick of all the bickering between players trying to agree on who won the game, so I’m going with this system wether they like it or not. In time I’m sure they will learn how to go after tokens while trying to prevent the enemy from getting theirs, but I’ve made it clear that the only thing that matters at the Bunker from now on is how many tokens your side has at the end of the day, and if you don’t want to lose… better call the wife and kids and tell them you’re not coming home.

I guess if something had to be writen in stone, I would say the side with the most tokens at the end of round 9 wins the game when games can’t continue past 1 day, and adjusted to the end of round 15 for games that can be continued past 1 day.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

If you drive out to Fredericton in May we can play test this face to face. :)

• Sponsor

@Gargantua:

If you drive out to Fredericton in May we can play test this face to face. :)

As much as I appreciate those that travel to visit members from this site, I unfortunately live a life in which it is impossible to spend a single night away from my home, as I have 9 animals (7 of them rescues) that need me every day. If you come to the FMG CON in September, I will devote my entire weekend to playing A&A with you, suprise attack, Vance, and any others from A&A.org that wish to attend. In the meantime, my groups are play testing these victory condition rules twice a month.

• Sponsor

Post #1 Updated

• '17 '16 '15

Looks like you’ve got it tuned in pretty good to me YG. Those all look good and equally obtainable for each side. Good work!

• Sponsor

@barney:

Looks like you’ve got it tuned in pretty good to me YG. Those all look good and equally obtainable for each side. Good work!

Thanks Barney… I agree, a couple are easy for both sides but they get really hard after that. Using it tomorrow in a game where it’s the only house rule.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m