• is it better to scramble the Allied fighters in England on Germanys 1st turn attacks on the Royal Navy or save them for defense?

• Best not to scramble, unless Germany only attacks SZ110 with 6 units. (Usually, he will send 7-9.) Not scrambling, also leaves you the option of attacking the Italian fleet with 1 or 2 Fts on your turn.  (Can land on the Med Carrier.)
    Flexibility is the key and scrambling restricts your options on UK1.

• thanks f the advise!

• Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure UK cannot scramble at all. Scrambling requires the airbase to be an island territory. UK is not an island since it consists of 3 territories. Most all the islands are in the Pacific (Japan does count as an island since it is one territory). I’ve seen several people mention UK scrambling, so please tell me if I’m playing it wrong and tell me where in the rules you find it. Thanks :D

• @Surrender@20:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure UK cannot scramble at all. Scrambling requires the airbase to be an island territory. UK is not an island since it consists of 3 territories. Most all the islands are in the Pacific (Japan does count as an island since it is one territory). I’ve seen several people mention UK scrambling, so please tell me if I’m playing it wrong and tell me where in the rules you find it. Thanks :D

You are playing it wrong:

@rulebook:

A quick reaction team of no more than 3 defending
    fighters and/or tactical bombers (strategic bombers can’t
    scramble) located on each island or coastal territory
    that has an operative air base
    can be scrambled to
    defend against attacks in the sea zones adjacent to those
    territories.

• You are playing it wrong:

@rulebook:

A quick reaction team of no more than 3 defending
    fighters and/or tactical bombers (strategic bombers can’t
    scramble) located on each island or coastal territory
    that has an operative air base
    can be scrambled to
    defend against attacks in the sea zones adjacent to those
    territories.

Oh wow! Thanks! I wonder if this is a change from the first edition…

• @Surrender@20:

Oh wow! Thanks! I wonder if this is a change from the first edition…

Yes you are right, it was different in 1st Edition. :-)

• It depends on two things:  
    1. What is the benefit of keeping those aircraft going forward vs risking them to hurt the Germans now?  Generally that would mean flying those Aircraft to Moscow for a later confrontation against the Germans.
    2. Does your UK strategy involve stifling the Italians?  Those aircraft are infinitely useful in keeping the Italians down and out in the Med.

I prefer to keep the Aircraft and not scramble unless Germany fails to present an overwhelming amount of units to sink my ships.

If I can get into a low unit, high probability of dicing the Germans, I might risk FTR to carve into the German’s airforce, potentially even causing them to retreat before sinking all the ships.  Note, this is a rare occurrence from my experience, which I chalk up to amateur decisions whilst learning the game.

• I’ve scrambled them at all time and been successful in destroying the German force.  last time he went after my fleet and used the remaining in France.  I was able to destroy all 6, me losing a fighter and damaged battleship.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m