Having Italy as the 6th player in revised axis and allies

• @Imperious:

They had twice as many “add in any type of equipment you want to list” because Stalingrad had already happened and Germany had failed by July 1943. Your dealing with a period of History that the game allows either player to control. Thus those military balances have no meaning. The only value is what each started with in the spring of 1942 when the game begins. What happens latter is totally in control of the players and how they perform.

It’s true that a German army was encircled and forced to surrender at Stalingrad. But a number of large Soviet forces had also been surrounded and forced to surrender. I’m almost certain the Soviets experienced significantly larger losses (in absolute terms) than did the Germans.

• Love the idea of having italy as a sixth player…. had them in for several years now. they start out with a building power of 25 industrial points while germany starts out with 58 industrial points. we start in 1936 with a percentage of what each nation had to begin with. ei: if britian had 75 destroyers in 36’ and they start with 15 on the game, italy would also have the same % 61 in 36’ then 12 on game, historicaly compairable. now comes the fun part… human players.  (since we are talking about italy, we will stay with italy) italian troops were not the best fighters nor were thier equipment very good. planes and ships were ok. your atack differnt then say a german tank and defend differnt.  i don’t want to stay with a bad tank or poor building facilities if i plan to be in a war at some point. will you allow for a player to improve teritory production? if a teritory starts out at 5, can it be ever increased? for example to 6 or 7? i personaly build up both my manufacturing abuility and my military fairly equally.  we are all more than your average AA players, can we not handle the more complicated part of building up a nation to fight on internal as well as militarialy? i know that america is going to come with numbers, there is no changing that fact, (they out produce me by 300%) they want to bomb me, i’ve put must of my production underground or even build in other places. they want to land, i make italy a fortress, and have it an air craft carrier as it was called. i research better planes and high powered anti-aircraft guns to fill up every territory.  i build fortifications, place mines, and place men along the beaches with machine guns.  yes they will land, they always do… but what will it cost them? and will i have enough on reserve to drive them back into the SEA?    just wondering, narsis

• It’s true that a German army was encircled and forced to surrender at Stalingrad. But a number of large Soviet forces had also been surrounded and forced to surrender. I’m almost certain the Soviets experienced significantly larger losses (in absolute terms) than did the Germans.

The Soviets lost most of these forces before the spring of 1942…(before the game starts). They learned eventually not to get surrounded as they did in the earlier period but they did lose more than the Germans in nearly every action  and gradually got better.

The only information could only be the balance of forces in say April 1942 and the relative GDP. Thats the only way to make any qualitative comparison for making such a variant.

• too bad we probably didn’t have PPP GDP (vs. nominal GDP) back then

@narsis:

will you allow for a player to improve teritory production? if a teritory starts out at 5, can it be ever increased? for example to 6 or 7?

we don’t have that yet

in game we have territory production and IC production capacity
    we have to consider what they each model and whether they can be improved in a matter of months (one turn)

• we, over the corse of playing with additianal countries (we have the abuility to play with 16 areas), have liked the abuility to improve our countries in diffrent ways. what it has done for us, is to allow different thinking players to change their countries territories production to increase differnt needs.  when you are italy, africa always becomes a unit pit! When the ally colilition decides it time to take the war to you in africa, sisily is usially the nexted jumping point for the allies, unless you have built up prodution, even airfeilds, and/or sea ports in new areas. this makes them tempting targets, once reconisences informs you of new and better improvements.  why would i take sisily if the italian player has built up rome or northern italy with great production and bases! I want to end their intreast in the axis powers quickly.  other things that become nice is when gabralter is taken by italy, and they place costal bunkers, land mines, sub pens, and airfields there.  It becomes a headace for the allies but a must retake for them! :-) i’m  not sure your going to incorp such an idea or not but it makes the game more of a challange!

• under optional rules we do have a national advantage that models the improving German economy towards the end of the war

but in terms of mines and coastal bunkers…we only have the AA gun piece (which is now a Infrastructure Defense), it functions additionally as anti-navy coastal battery in amphibious assault
    the AA piece has been weakened substantially but do allow multiple piece to fire at the same time…so you could fortify Italy a little if you want

• i see now that we have things in common with imp. leader on using other peices from other aa games to include options in our own.  I have also casted or made other pieces to fit or to counter ones brought in. for exapmle… i got plastic mines from, i believe table tacics games?, and also made mine rollers to destroy them for countries.  i’ll just list most everything used so far and if some one here would be kind enough to explain how i would upload ditial pictures to this sight i will do my best to do so! (thanks in advance!)  from normandy we use caostal fortifications, also use machain guns from (ttg) and half tracks, pt boats, i used the battleships from the original aa (1979 version) as cruisers, i have made super subs for japan and sea planes (two versions), kaitians and frogmen, trucks and jeeps for mech infintry, oil drums for all!, me 262’s (i didn’t like any versions out on the market) lancasters, B17’s and B25’s (dougles), B29’s , navy zero’s from land planes for japan, sea dragon for germany, by planes (for english carriers) landing craft, 3 generations of junkers and 109’s, dive bombers V1’s and V2’s, paratropers, rockerts for russia, 5 generations of tanks for germany, m1 grants for US start and lend lease to britian, admrial ships for all countries (all the most popular ones, they took forever to paint but look really cool on the board, and some generals for land units. our game is complicated i know for a new person but we always have a teacher or game master to help them out with problems. for those of use that have been playing since 1980 it took about 4 months to keep it all straight but now we have labtops to aid on development and odds of sucsess in winning. the most difficult thing for people to grasp is the fuel needed to produce and transport. how much diesel how much high octan avation fuel, things like that!! :-o

• Please post these pictures …preferably on your map.  Table Tactics will soon be releasing a whole new set of pieces… I cant get into details yet, but in 60 days something should make itself present officially.

• Customizer

My take on Italy, in reference to my map:

IPC Value totals

Each of three Allied powers and Japan each = 50
    Germany = 45
    Italy = 22
    Vichy France = 13

The Italian player also controls Vichy, collecting it’s income and spending this how it sees fit.

However what I call the “Vichy Variable” allows different levels of Axis income to be brought to bear depending on how VF is treated.
    At one extreme Vichy is treated as an integral part of Italy, much as Nationalist China is effectively part of the USA.
    At the other Vichy is Neutral, adds no income to Italy, and will only fight by defending itself against allied attacks.
    Which of the Vichy rules is adopted dictates the difficulty levels for the Axis, and could even be used as the basis of bidding.

http://66.125.84.108/web1/flashman/Complete1942jun.jpg

• @Flashman:

My take on Italy, in reference to my map:

IPC Value totals

Each of three Allied powers and Japan each = 50
    Germany = 45
    Italy = 22
    Vichy France = 13

The Italian player also controls Vichy, collecting it’s income and spending this how it sees fit.

However what I call the “Vichy Variable” allows different levels of Axis income to be brought to bear depending on how VF is treated.
    At one extreme Vichy is treated as an integral part of Italy, much as Nationalist China is effectively part of the USA.
    At the other Vichy is Neutral, adds no income to Italy, and will only fight by defending itself against allied attacks.
    Which of the Vichy rules is adopted dictates the difficulty levels for the Axis, and could even be used as the basis of bidding.

http://66.125.84.108/web1/flashman/Complete1942jun.jpg

Wartime aircraft production represents a decent proxy for overall military production. In 1941, the aircraft production figures were as follows:

U.S: 19,000
    Germany: 12,000
    U.S.S.R.: 16,000
    U.K.: 20,000
    Japan: 5,000

In 1942, the numbers were:

U.S.: 48,000
    Germany: 15,000
    U.S.S.R.: 25,000
    U.K.: 24,000
    Japan: 9,000

By 1944, those figures had risen to the following numbers:

U.S.: 96,000
    Germany: 41,000
    U.S.S.R.: 40,000
    U.K.: 26,000
    Japan: 28,000

Okay, I realize that the above production figures spell almost certain doom for the Axis. So any map designer will need to ignore–or compensate for–the gross imbalance between Axis and Allied production. But you can at least use the above figures to determine production proportions within teams. If you use the '42 numbers, British and Soviet military production should be about equal. But if you go with the numbers from '44, the Soviets should have nearly double the income of the British. The U.S. should (apparently) represent half or more of the Allied total production effort, which seems a little high to me. For the Axis, Japan’s income should be between 60% and 70% of Germany’s. (Depending on whether you use the '42 or '44 production figures.)

From 1939 - 1945, Italy produced a total of 18,000 military aircraft, as compared to 120,000 for Germany. But 48,000 of Germany’s aircraft were produced in '44 or '45, at a time when Italy’s aircraft production had been disrupted by the overthrow of Mussolini and the Allied invasion. If one compares Italy’s total aircraft production during the war to the 72,000 Germany produced before '44, the ratio is four German aircraft for every Italian aircraft produced. This implies an Italian income 1/4 that of Germany’s.

• 3 years latter?

• @Imperious:

3 years latter?

Needed a little time to mull things over.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m