Bought D Day Sealed, but there is no UK Blonde Units

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@SS:

See amazon has 2 d day games for 2 different prices. Maybe ask them to look and see if they got cream color  for uk in them. Tell them they be like an off white color.

Thanks for the info! :-)

• @John:

but the elusive blondes, will have to wait.

Generations of college-age young men have probably said similar things over the centuries.

@CWO:

@John:

but the elusive blondes, will have to wait.

Generations of college-age young men have probably said similar things over the centuries.

Ha Ha, that is funny and probably so true. :-D

I managed to find some on Ebay and HBG helped me get some. Thanks for everyone’s help.

• @John:

I managed to find some on Ebay and HBG helped me get some.

Good.  Hopefully the Ebay ones will be authentic blondes rather than simulated ones (I was tempted to say “bleached blondes”).  The picture below from “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” illustrates this hazard by showing a rather inept attempt to pass off a dog as a reindeer.

Grinch Reindeer.jpg

@CWO:

@John:

I managed to find some on Ebay and HBG helped me get some.

Good.  Hopefully the Ebay ones will be authentic blondes rather than simulated ones (I was tempted to say “bleached blondes”).  The picture below from “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” illustrates this hazard by showing a rather inept attempt to pass off a dog as a reindeer.

The ones from HBG will be true. Will see how my luck goes on Ebay, again. Boy, it has been a long time since I’ve seen that. That is funny. :-D

• What HBG get ya?

@SS:

What HBG get ya?

I asked for UK Blonde tanks, fighters and bombers, and also the celery green bombers from revised. He hasn’t told me what he got me and hasn’t sent a bill, so not sure at the moment. I also bought another D Day set, supposedly on Ebay with UK Blonde, fingers crossed and some loose UK Blonde pieces from another Ebayer, fingers crossed, LOL. :-D

• Customizer

Good luck John. I recently obtained a complete Revised Edition with celery UK and Grey Germans for under $50 shipping included. It was extremely difficult to get those Green Brits for a reasonable price and I just happened to luck out with the bonus of Grey Germans.

@toblerone77:

Good luck John. I recently obtained a complete Revised Edition with celery UK and Grey Germans for under $50 shipping included. It was extremely difficult to get those Green Brits for a reasonable price and I just happened to luck out with the bonus of Grey Germans.

Yes, I had to wind up buying my green Brits and Grey Germans from HBG. It cost me a lot more than that, so I know what you mean. I guess I’m not as patient when it comes to waiting for something, LOL.

My alternate colored British, Japanese, German and Russian Armies are starting to take shape.

I have a complete British and Commonwealth Army consisting of celery green for my Canadian Army, Tan for my England based Army, UK Blonde for my North African Army, UK Salmon for my South African Army and Khaki for my Indian based Army.

I have complete Regular Pumpkin Orange Army, complete Veteran Red Army.

I have a complete Black and Grey German Army.

Lastly, I have a complete Regular Brown Russian Army, and complete Maroon Elite Red Guard Army.

This has been my goal since, I won’t be painting my units. :-D

• @John:

My alternate colored British, Japanese, German and Russian Armies are starting to take shape.
    I have a complete British and Commonwealth Army consisting of celery green for my Canadian Army, Tan for my England based Army, UK Blonde for my North African Army, UK Salmon for my South African Army and Khaki for my Indian based Army.
    Lastly, I have a complete Regular Brown Russian Army, and complete Maroon Elite Red Guard Army.

If you’re collecting the different colour and shade variants in which A&A pieces have been issued, here are a few others you might look for:

• The second printing of the original Pacific included cherry-red, Russian-design, CH-stamped Chinese infantry units.

• The plastic factories and plastic generic AAA guns from the early games were mostly issued in grey, but some in off-white.

• Guadalcanal has orange and green plastic generic AAA guns.

• American equipment pieces have, over the years, been issued in at least three different shades of green.  American infantry pieces can be found in at least double that number of shades, and arguably even more than that if you look at them under different lighting conditions because green is a very fickle colour in daylight (which is bluish), incandescent light (which is reddish) and fluorescent light (which is greenish).  Some of these shades of green look identical in some lighting conditions and radically different in others.  With two exceptions, none of these shades were (as far as I know) intended to be deliberate variants.  The two exceptions were the original Milton Bradley sculpts (which were a kind of greyish/brownish khaki) and the rich dark green Marine infantry sculpts in the original Pacific game.

@CWO:

@John:

If you’re collecting the different colour and shade variants in which A&A pieces have been issued, here are a few others you might look for:

• The second printing of the original Pacific included cherry-red, Russian-design, CH-stamped Chinese infantry units.

• The plastic factories and plastic generic AAA guns from the early games were mostly issued in grey, but some in off-white.

• Guadalcanal has orange and green plastic generic AAA guns.

• American equipment pieces have, over the years, been issued in at least three different shades of green.  American infantry pieces can be found in at least double that number of shades, and arguably even more than that if you look at them under different lighting conditions because green is a very fickle colour in daylight (which is bluish), incandescent light (which is reddish) and fluorescent light (which is greenish).  Some of these shades of green look identical in some lighting conditions and radically different in others.  With two exceptions, none of these shades were (as far as I know) intended to be deliberate variants.  The two exceptions were the original Milton Bradley sculpts (which were a kind of greyish/brownish khaki) and the rich dark green Marine infantry sculpts in the original Pacific game.

Yeah, I have the brown ones, not the red. Thanks for the info. That helps! :-D

• Customizer

@JB. I bought some from HBG also. I just like having too many. Next payday I’ll be rejuvenating my maroon Russian Army. As for painting I so paint some of my units for flavor. It takes time and goes in spurts for me but I’ve painted units here and there just to give my game some character.

I’m not say you must or mustn’t paint but for all those thinking about it, just remember YOU DON’T HAVE TO PAINT ALL OF THEM! LOL! A few, maybe one of each nation and type gives your game flavor as is very fun and worth while to do.

@toblerone77:

@JB. I bought some from HBG also. I just like having too many. Next payday I’ll be rejuvenating my maroon Russian Army. As for painting I so paint some of my units for flavor. It takes time and goes in spurts for me but I’ve painted units here and there just to give my game some character.

I’m not say you must or mustn’t paint but for all those thinking about it, just remember YOU DON’T HAVE TO PAINT ALL OF THEM! LOL! A few, maybe one of each nation and type gives your game flavor as is very fun and worth while to do.

Tolerone77, I know what your saying. Unfortunately, I’m a completest and always have been, and I know once I start something, I’m going to want them all done. For me that adds up to dollar signs, because I wouldn’t be the one to paint them. It would be my brother, and he is going to charge me by the piece. I don’t have the time or patience to paint them myself, nor would I enjoy it. I’m just being honest, LOL.

I just wanted to show others, you can still have fun and being creative by using different color units.

I admire you and others work. It is awesome. I’ve met Tall Paul and seen his pieces, and they are awesome, but I wouldn’t sit there and paint them myself. It is just not in me. I enjoy going to customization thread and seeing what everyone is doing.

Everyone has there thing. Painting is not one of them. I hope that explains it. Kudos to those that have the gift and will power, because it does take the game to another level visually.

For those that do paint their pieces, I will admire your pieces in the customization thread. :-D

• As a non-painter of sculpts, I find that one of the fun and challenging aspects of using my sculpt collection is to find ways to depict the various nations (and the special units within nations) that I want to represent, using nothing except the natural-coloured sculpts that came OOB in the various games I’ve collected over the years.  That’s where the shade and colour variants that have appeared in different editions have been especially useful.

@CWO:

As a non-painter of sculpts, I find that one of the fun and challenging aspects of using my sculpt collection is to find ways to depict the various nations (and the special units within nations) that I want to represent, using nothing except the natural-coloured sculpts that came OOB in the various games I’ve collected over the years.  That’s where the shade and colour variants that have appeared in different editions have been especially useful.

I’m currently doing the same thing. I just bought 2 more plano fishing tackle boxes. I’m separating by country, units, types and color of units. I’m working separating OOB pieces and counting all of them. Then, next, I will be doing the same with HBG pieces. I’ve been working on it for three days straight, after work. Today, I have the day off, so I will get a lot done today. I will know hopefully soon, how many pieces, I will have in total. I will then keep an on going, running total.

• @John:

I’ve been working on it for three days straight, after work. Today, I have the day off, so I will get a lot done today.

Be sure to take a break now and then, unlike that Norwegian teen who collapsed and fell into a coma a few weeks ago after drinking four liters of energy drinks while playing video games for 16 straight hours.

@CWO:

@John:

I’ve been working on it for three days straight, after work. Today, I have the day off, so I will get a lot done today.

Be sure to take a break now and then, unlike that Norwegian teen who collapsed and fell into a coma a few weeks ago after drinking four liters of energy drinks while playing video games for 16 straight hours.

I’m 43, so if I dumb enough to do that, then my wife will go ahead and seal my coffin, she says. She says she could retire early, because I won’t be spending on axis and allies anymore, LOL. :-D

• Customizer

For your alternate color armies, what do you use for unit types that didn’t exist yet (mechanized infantry, tactical bombers)?

I have the Revised edition with the celery green Brits (didn’t realize it was rare lol), and I never thought about using them for Canada. Good Idea.

@ossel:

For your alternate color armies, what do you use for unit types that didn’t exist yet (mechanized infantry, tactical bombers)?

I have the Revised edition with the celery green Brits (didn’t realize it was rare lol), and I never thought about using them for Canada. Good Idea.

I will have to use HBG’s sculpts. They have UK Blonde, Celery Green coming up in their new United Kingdom Set.

That will fulfill my Canadians mechanized infantry and tactical bomber needs.

They have Dark Grey for Germany so I don’t have to worry about that.

They have Thai red in the two Japanese sets, so I’m good there.

They have Maroon for my Russians, so I’m good there.

The only two colors that I will have problems with will be my South African Salmon Brits and Indian Khaki Brits.

Since I have designated UK Blonde for North Africa, they will share their mechanized and tactical bombers with the South African Salmon Brits.

As far as my Indian Khaki Brits, my Tan London based Brits will share their mechanized infantry and Tactical Bombers.

This is my vision currently. :-D

• My plastic storage trays are set up so that the butternut-grey ANZAC-pattern ANZAC pieces from AAP40(2) stand in for Australia, New Zealand and South Africa while the butternut-grey British-pattern ANZAC pieces from AAP40(1) stand in for Canada (which is understood to include Newfoundland, and which in principle would also include Eire if it ever went from being neutral to Allied).  That covers the six Commonwealth Dominions, in two groups of three each.  The only cross-set transfer I had to do was to allocate some of the AAP40(2) ANZAC AAA guns to the Canadian set, since AAP40(1) lacked an AAA sculpt.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m